Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Tropical Fruit Holiday Foods

<< < (2/3) > >>

Galatians522:

--- Quote from: Jaboticaba45 on December 05, 2022, 10:50:49 PM ---Surinam cherry pie...Very interesting
I think olosapo pie would work or maybe canistel, mamey, or ross sapote for pies. Someone with the fruits should try! I think it would taste epic! Maybe I'll get some fruits and mess around with them after finals.

--- End quote ---

I had actually been thinking of that very thing. I had originally thought that it would requure a no-bake recipe, but it looks like there are a lot of on-line recipees for cooked versions that people seem to like. On person claims that you can use raw Mamaey just like canned pumpkin.

What about a Canistel or Ross Sapote egg nog?

Galatians522:

--- Quote from: elouicious on December 05, 2022, 11:40:06 PM ---Persimmons can be used like pumpkin in most recipes-

Made some jam last night that turned out okay

--- End quote ---

You bring up a good point, I didn't realie that persimmons could be made into a pie (kind of like pumpkin pie) but even Southern Living has a recipe.  Plus persimmon bread is already a holiday food in many places in its own right--especially in the native range for American persimmon.

Fruitguy:
I have used black sapote in place of pumpkin in a cheesecake. It had a beautiful  chocolate  colored appearance and tasted like cheesecake.

fliptop:
I had Suriname Cherry Pie at a Tampa Bay Rare Fruit Council meeting (I believe circa 2018) and it was like crack to me. I went up for seconds. I can only hope we can create such a pie when I have enough Suriname Cherries to attempt it.

Galatians522:

--- Quote from: fliptop on December 07, 2022, 01:16:17 PM ---I had Suriname Cherry Pie at a Tampa Bay Rare Fruit Council meeting (I believe circa 2018) and it was like crack to me. I went up for seconds. I can only hope we can create such a pie when I have enough Suriname Cherries to attempt it.

--- End quote ---

If you do, please let us know what recipes you use and the variety if it is an improved kind. What we tried wasn't great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version