Author Topic: Mango grafting anything particular this season what's your reasoning🙂  (Read 1129 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
My grafting list consists of Ah Ping reasoning I'm going to graft it onto the west side of cotton candy which will be visible from my sliding glass door. It is ultra early and has a beautiful red fruit Pleasant to the eye. Secondly some more Dupuis Saigon on two large Valencia Pride. Reasoning it is early delicious and highly recommended by Walter. Thirdly Sunrise on large Valencia Pride. Reasoning it is said to be a good alternative to Jakarta for folks in the interior. Lastly Super Julie in a big way onto ST. Reasoning easy bloomer that I fell in love with last season. At this point in my life I want consistent bloomers because time is precious. In addendum to lastly I acquired a Starch mango tree from Lara Farms that I'm waiting to be able to get budwood. And there's a local seedling of Blackie that came from Jamaica many years ago. That seems by the shape of the fruit to have been cross pollinated with Julie. This will be it's second season of fruiting. Hoping this season confirms last. My friends tree seems uniquely special. So I may be grafting this onto a ital provision tree

Dupuis Saigon budwood got from Walter last season
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 06:41:05 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
The number one for me is 36-8, I wanted one for a long time, but when I bought grafted trees, they always died from shipping shock.

Every other tree seems to rebound just fine however, so I'm going with bad luck.

I love the flavor, and ship-ability (thick skin and can ripen well if picked early).

Starch supposedly makes phenomenal rootstock if the scientific literature is to be believed (vigorous and highly productive).

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
The number one for me is 36-8, I wanted one for a long time, but when I bought grafted trees, they always died from shipping shock.

Every other tree seems to rebound just fine however, so I'm going with bad luck.

I love the flavor, and ship-ability (thick skin and can ripen well if picked early).

Starch supposedly makes phenomenal rootstock if the scientific literature is to be believed (vigorous and highly productive).
Thanks for the info on starch I was curious about it's Vigor. A Trinidadian told me it is better than Julie so I think it's worth a Gamble.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
My grafting list consists of Ah Ping reasoning I'm going to graft it onto the west side of cotton candy which will be visible from my sliding glass door. It is ultra early and has a beautiful red fruit Pleasant to the eye. Secondly some more Dupuis Saigon on two large Valencia Pride. Reasoning it is early delicious and highly recommended by Walter. Thirdly Sunrise on large Valencia Pride. Reasoning it is said to be a good alternative to Jakarta for folks in the interior. Lastly Super Julie in a big way onto ST. Reasoning easy bloomer that I fell in love with last season. At this point in my life I want consistent bloomers because time is precious. In addendum to lastly I acquired a Starch mango tree from Lara Farms that I'm waiting to be able to get budwood. And there's a local seedling of Blackie that came from Jamaica many years ago. That seems by the shape of the fruit to have been cross pollinated with Julie. This will be it's second season of fruiting. Hoping this season confirms last. My friends tree seems uniquely special. So I may be grafting this onto a ital provision tree

Dupuis Saigon budwood got from Walter last season

All great choices!!! Not many people know about AhPing, definitely a favorite of mine. I’ve been trying to get it ever since I first fell in love with it lol.
 Surprised you wouldn’t put Sunrise and SuperJulie on that Valencia Pride and keep ST its own tree.. but it sounds like you are trying to limit how many varieties you have on a tree? I’ve lost Dupuis Saigon a few seasons ago.

This year as far as grafting I’m hoping to move varieties from the temporary trees that they were placed on, to some planted seedlings. Varieties that I plan to move are- Mulgoba, Cac, Edgar, Coconut Cream, Sunrise, Kesar, & Shwehinta/Raw Honey. Also maybe Mallika.

Only other ones I’m really looking forward to grafting more of are Pina Colada, Super Alphonso, Angie, Fruit Punch, Orange Essence, Venus, Sweet Tart, Cotton Candy, and maybe Sugarloaf. Reasoning is flavor complexity and also want to add more later season varieties or more of them.
Sergio

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Update on spring grafting. So far have grafted time will tell if they're successful. Ah Ping Amika Philippine Usda Himsagar Sunrise. Put in a request for Zinc and St. Maui. What I really want is Marko I'll just have to be patient which is not my nature

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
Update on spring grafting. So far have grafted time will tell if they're successful. Ah Ping Amika Philippine Usda Himsagar Sunrise. Put in a request for Zinc and St. Maui. What I really want is Marko I'll just have to be patient which is not my nature

Nice choices! I hope they take for you!!! And I know how you feel about waiting to get other varieties 😣

I did a few recently as well that I had promised over a year ago- (2) ZINC, a Dot, a Sweet Tart, and a Lemon Meringue. All 3gal seedlings except for a gal that I did Zinc onto.

Sergio

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
I want to add M-4 to my Sugarloaf tree.  My understanding is that they should be compatible as far as vigor.  Also, I'm thinking that M-4 is a more reliable producer and will extend the season, and it's also a superb mango.
John

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
I want to add M-4 to my Sugarloaf tree.  My understanding is that they should be compatible as far as vigor.  Also, I'm thinking that M-4 is a more reliable producer and will extend the season, and it's also a superb mango.

Very superb combo John! 🤤 not sure about compatibility but definitely wins as far as flavor, production, and season!
Sergio

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile

Very superb combo John! 🤤 not sure about compatibility but definitely wins as far as flavor, production, and season!

M4 is much more vigorous at least in my yard compared to my sugarloaf.

The M4 was planted as a 3 gallon and is easily bigger than the 15 gallon sugarloaf in much less time. Also it grows almost straight up.

johnb51

• View Profile
The M4 was planted as a 3 gallon and is easily bigger than the 15 gallon sugarloaf in much less time. Also it grows almost straight up.
Thanks, JR.  Then I should probably try to plant an M-4 tree.  What would you suggest to combine with Sugarloaf?  I already have Cecilove, Orange Sherbet, Honey Kiss, and Little Gem trees.  What would anyone else suggest?  Amrapali?  Is USDA Himsagar too vigorous?  (I liked that one when I tasted it last summer.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 07:51:38 PM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Thanks, JR.  Then I should probably try to plant an M-4 tree.  What would you suggest to combine with Sugarloaf?  I already have Cecilove, Orange Sherbet, Honey Kiss, and Little Gem trees.  What would anyone else suggest?  Amrapali?  Is USDA Himsagar too vigorous?  (I liked that one when I tasted it last summer.)
John 51 I think you will be extremely pleased with the performance of Little Gem and M4 I think that Super Julie because it is super delicious and the ease of bloom. Along with maybe White Piri. Recently watched a video and I believe Alex said that White piri blooms well in South Florida. I also like the way Karen Michelle is performing for me. Have to give props and cred to Tony CC Honest Abe and Palm City for guiding me to making the right selections

Little Gem
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 09:27:29 PM by bovine421 »

johnb51

• View Profile
But what would be compatible with Sugarloaf on the same tree?
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
But what would be compatible with Sugarloaf on the same tree?
Coconut cream has a similar unwieldy growth habits. Not sure how the Vigor would match. I like the Way Karen Michelle has bloomed and set fruit.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
Yeah I wish I had an answer John.

Nothing I have really grows like Sugarloaf and I myself would love to find something to add to it.

MangoMaven888

• Florida
    • View Profile
Maybe Pina Colada if it will fruit well in your location.  It's compact like Sugarloaf, and top tier :)

johnb51

• View Profile
Maybe Pina Colada if it will fruit well in your location.  It's compact like Sugarloaf, and top tier :)
I like that recommendation.  And I think it would work for me.  I'm only two miles from the ocean. Thanks!
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk