Author Topic: Mango April bloom  (Read 1117 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Mango April bloom
« on: April 08, 2023, 08:11:15 AM »
Well has Popeye would say Blow Me Down Juliet is blooming again. I have no Rhyme or Reason Why but it is. All I know is it's been 91° for several weeks and no rain. Am I the only one being blessed by blooming April🙂

« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 08:29:03 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mango April bloom
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 09:12:25 AM »
I believe it is drought stress, has to be.

Several trees had a complete bloom earlier this year but on about 4 varieties, could be more, I am seeing a few panicles on parts of the tree not holding fruit.  The only stressor I can attribute it to is drought.
This coupled with significant fruit drop has me watering many of my smaller trees, even a couple of larger ones. 

By the way, one more things the drought has done is keep disease pressure down, most varieties in my yard have pretty clean fruits.  If this your experience as well?

I walked out to take a couple of pictures for this post and it is drizzling.  Didn't last long but it may be a sign for a wet weekend.   

Thom Pi Kan that I grafted back in 21 (from a forum members collection).  Still only about 2 feet tall and will not be allowed to hold fruit but flowered instead of pushing new growth.

Several varieties on this tree (the nurse tree) but I believe the flowers are on an Orange Shubert branch and a Malika branch with Ruby out of the frame but about to explode on just about every tip on the branch..

This is not unusual for my Choc Anon and it is doing it again.  It usually holds fruits from 2 or 3 different blooms.  Beverly also has a couple of flowers so does Malika and Carrie.

Are number of trees and some of the same trees are flushing new growth which is what I was expecting. 

« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 09:48:34 AM by Orkine »

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 09:29:46 AM »
I'm still holding out hope on a couple seedling trees, but hope is fading fast. Your Juliet blooming is encouraging, though, bovine421😄

I'm having a lot of fruit drop due to drought and heat stress. Hoping the Coconut Cream seedling fruits hang on. We're supposed to get rain this week, and though I've been fooled so many times before with fake forecasts, I keep believing it may happen.

Awesome you're getting some precipitation, Orkine!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 09:41:20 AM »
2015 it was a very dry spring. It was so dry that my nam doc mai got a complex taste. Not the usual honey flavor.  There has been little rain the last three months in South East Florida. But there must have been enough morning dew, because my lawn looks fairly green.

I better go outside and water some mango trees to minimize fruit drop. I have not done this in years.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 09:55:48 AM »
My lawn is brown in large swaths and crackles when I walk on it.  It is not the traditional HOA lawn specification (St. Augustine grass) and I am OK with it looking awful for a short period of time.  It will come back once the rains start.

Fliptop, hand in there, it is not too late to get some flowers.  (power of positive thinking)  .. and, oh, by the way, the drizzle was just a tease.  It is done and with the sun out things are drying up really quick.  I am glad we got that smarting though and the forecast calls for some heavier rain later this weekend.  The wet will be good, the wind will knock down several more fruits.  .. but I will take the wet at this time.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 09:57:34 AM by Orkine »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 10:02:23 AM »
IMO, any 3 inch diameter trunked mango tree that bore fruit last year and had a few fruit aborted earlier this year, has a very good chance of still reblooming especially if under drought stress and awaiting rainfall etc. to occur.

I do not believe it to be variety specific. This is how I have had a few Carrie hanging Sept.1 on a tree in my yard from a late rebloom.

Now if small tree = less odds.
If continual watering and fertilizing and continual growth over the entire spring = very low odds of rebloom.

If under drought stress and dropping mangos = good odds with next soaking rain.

I expect to have a very few rebloom in May. 

So bad news with drought is some fruit loss especially smaller trees and those holding larger number of fruit per canopy/trunk size than expected.... But good news is a longer season on a few fruit hopefully, if your lucky for a rebloom late.

I Forgot to mention my yard is brown and probably .25 and .25 inches rain in past 50 days so a lot of fruit drop especially on small trees,  but a lot of rebloom is occurring already on a few even before the rain (larger trees especially with better root access to water deeper).  My trees look similar to Orkines pictures.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 10:10:27 AM by palmcity »

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 10:26:39 AM »
By the way, one more things the drought has done is keep disease pressure down, most varieties in my yard have pretty clean fruits.  If this your experience as well?

With the drought and marginally lower humidity and early Feb. March daytime temperature being over 85 F during the day, I believe significantly decreased the powdery mildew during fruit set on most of my trees this year.  I believe higher daytime temperatures to be very important along with sunshine (with lack of cloud/rain) in suppressing powdery mildew.

I had a much larger number of fruit set than in prior years for 2023.

And as Orkine mentioned a little less of total fungus on the trees and fruit this year vs. prior years.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2023, 10:46:21 AM »
We’ve got lots of drought stress bloom going on. All the Carrie trees come to mind but lots of other stuff too like Cecilove, Saigon, San Felipe, Mahmoud Vikarabad and a bunch of others.

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2023, 03:33:17 PM »
Has anyone had occasion to notice if Sweet Tart in particular responds to drought stress?

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2023, 04:36:06 PM »
Has anyone had occasion to notice if Sweet Tart in particular responds to drought stress?

Lots of new flushes and fruit drop but no new panicles
Sergio

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2023, 04:40:08 PM »

This seems to be the only tree responding to drought stress
Sergio

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2023, 06:36:56 PM »
I put a 1gal Sunrise in the ground a year ago. It pushed a growth flush this February/March and then started showing signs of bloom before all the leaves had even fully hardened off. Nothing had popped out as of last week but I spent the weekend with family and came back to this:

Of course, this tree is way too small to fruit and with no chance of cold weather, I cut it off hoping for several growth flushes this year. I have been watering this tree occasionally since it’s still very small so I’m not completely sure what triggered this bloom.

bburdzel

• Cape Coral, FL 33991, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2023, 10:12:58 PM »
My Dwarf Hawaiian and Ice Cream both are blooming again for the second time.  The first time they didnt set any fruit.  Pineapple Pleasure is blooming again on branches where I removed the panicles, thinking bloom was done.  It had already set more fruit than the tree should really carry.  I am in Cape Coral so there is stress from Ian too.  The PP was on its side 6 months ago and the leaves look like they have been sand blasted, but its really going all out.

The only other trees that flowered for me were Julie, Rosigold and Pickering.  Pickering was a partial and set far less fruit than usual.  I had done some pretty significant pruning though before Ian struck.  Neither Julie or Rosigold set any fruit.  I just got the Julie, but I have had nothing but trouble with Rosigold.  Every year it gets scale, mealy bugs and black sooty mold, while other trees near it are not impacted.  This year after it didn't set any fruit I stripped the leaves, cut it back and cleaned it.  I am running out of patience.

Bill (Cape Coral)

Mangoes I have:
Valencia Pride, Karen Michelle, Pineapple Pleasure, Pina Colada, M4, Coconut Cream, Seacrest, Sugar Loaf, Pickering, Honey Kiss, Peach Cobbler, Spirit of 76, Glenn, Cotton Candy, Gary, Lemon Zest, Orange Essence, Dwarf Hawaiian, Ice Cream, Sweet Tart, All Summer

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2023, 11:42:09 PM »
My Dwarf Hawaiian and Ice Cream both are blooming again for the second time.  The first time they didnt set any fruit.  Pineapple Pleasure is blooming again on branches where I removed the panicles, thinking bloom was done. 

I have had nothing but trouble with Rosigold.  Every year it gets scale, mealy bugs and black sooty mold, while other trees near it are not impacted.  This year after it didn't set any fruit I stripped the leaves, cut it back and cleaned it.  I am running out of patience.
I have 1/3 of a tree Rosigold (I keep decreasing percent Rosigold) and 2/3 now Glen.

I prefer the Rosigold taste to Glen if both perfect fruit. However, seldom do you get a perfect mango variety flavor vs. average flavor. Often they taste the same to me. Glen is more frequently productive & less disease & more fruit production per tree normally and just a few days later ripening than the Rosigold at my location. Rosigold is as you mentioned more prone to fungal and other infections and more aborted fruit on a yearly basis at my location.  Thus I continue to increase my Glen crop and decrease my Rosigold percent to just get an occasional mango to taste.

This year both are holding fruit IMO due to dryness, hot weather, more sunshine, better fruit set.

At my location after about 7 years trying, I may finally get to taste from my trees Phoenix and Pineapple pleasure (only 2 fruit on PP and may yet fall off). I attribute it to the conditions just mentioned. Also Dot but it is younger and only a few years to have been able to carry fruit but this is it's first year also.

The Pineapple Pleasure has unfortunately been my fastest growing tree in my yard as it only wants to grow (skips fruiting normally) even though I do not fertilize it. I chopped it down to 3 ft. tall last about May and grafted pickering on it to get some fruit on it and hopefully slow down the growth. It now is holding a few pickering fruits.  I believe the drought might have helped a little but now it's growing fast and I'm not watering it. It's a beast and a circle of growth now about 12 ft wide by 8 ft. tall of masses of limbs shooting out making the trunk only visible at the very bottom.

I feel like I cheated as I watered the phoenix a little even though probably 7yrs planted & about a 12 ft tall tree as I do not want the set fruit to fall off and risk another rebloom as it has been in leaf drop & fruit drop & is currently reblooming to a degree.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2023, 06:00:27 PM »
Just noticed my dwarf Hawaiian is flowering again.

Wild Ive been giving it tons of water, guess not.

bburdzel

• Cape Coral, FL 33991, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2023, 11:09:46 PM »
This is my third year with Pineapple Pleasure in the ground.  For me its a very slow grower and the tree is I believe in a prime spot.  The fruit are now ping ball size and I just want a few to survive so I can try it.

My Rosigold is actually in a pot.  I got one fruit from it last year and it was awful, no flavor at all.  Obviously not typical of the fruit at all. 

I do have a Glenn in the ground but it's much too small to carry fruit.  Love the flavor of a good Glenn.

I also have 2 pickering trees.  Its our favorite mango.  As long as you let them ripen almost fully on the tree they are consistently superb.
Bill (Cape Coral)

Mangoes I have:
Valencia Pride, Karen Michelle, Pineapple Pleasure, Pina Colada, M4, Coconut Cream, Seacrest, Sugar Loaf, Pickering, Honey Kiss, Peach Cobbler, Spirit of 76, Glenn, Cotton Candy, Gary, Lemon Zest, Orange Essence, Dwarf Hawaiian, Ice Cream, Sweet Tart, All Summer

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2023, 08:24:22 AM »
I can add Dwarf Hawaiian and Angie to my April bloom list

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2023, 08:48:54 AM »
I can't get my little DH in a pot to stop sending out panicles. It needs another year or two of growth, but it's determined to push flowers.

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2023, 08:07:54 PM »
I can't get my little DH in a pot to stop sending out panicles. It needs another year or two of growth, but it's determined to push flowers.

I have the same struggle with my 4 foot-tall Carrie. This tree is so prolific, despite getting flattened by hurricane Ian.
My Maha also has a second bloom while the fruits from the first one are getting bigger everyday.
Tom

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2023, 06:28:40 AM »
In Lakeland, FL and have an Ice Cream Mango that produced panicles like crazy in December.  That batch was destroyed and then a second bloom came along that was mostly male panicles but I do have about 40 walnut size mangoes formed.

Now it is starting to generate another bloom of panicles.  Pics of a couple but several more starting.

I also have a small potted Carrie that is just pushing panicles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk