Author Topic: Brewster vs Mauritius Lychees, which do you prefer?  (Read 10577 times)

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Re: Brewster vs Mauritius Lychees, which do you prefer?
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 06:58:25 PM »
Here in San Gabriel, Mauritius does pretty well for me. It started to produce regularly around year 7. It will bear heavy one year and light on the next. It's been pretty consistent. This year has very little blooms cause I over fertilized trying to push my grafts.  Overall,  I'm very happy with this tree.

Some fruits from last year

This year's flush

Your tree is very healthy, Matt. How old is it now and what kind of fertilizer do you use? I use organic Osmocote and Azomite with fish emulsion when I remember. Should I cut the fertilizer down so the tree will bloom next year?
One thing I notice, my Mauritius keeps growing with new branches and leaves even in winter. It almost like a weather proof tree. While my Brewster had flowers induced by low temperature, the Mauritius just kept having new growth flush.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 07:01:08 PM by palingkecil »

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2022, 01:56:01 AM »
Hi Diana, my Mauritius is 13 years old. First 3 to 4 years was a really painfully slow growing. After that, it just took off. During the active growing growing season, I would feed it fish and kelp emulsion once a week. Mulching really helps too. When it got to fruiting age, I use a zero nitrogen fertilizer from EB stone 0 10 10 to just focus on fruiting. If you want the tree to bloom, you will want to stop feeding and watering late fall into winter. Gotta let it suffer and stress out for it to fruit.  When the tree starts to wake up, then start giving some bloom booster. Very important to only give low to zero nitrogen fertilizer. Since your tree is still young, feed it, try to get as much growth out of it during active seasons.

Max

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2022, 09:19:27 PM »
Hi Diana, my Mauritius is 13 years old. First 3 to 4 years was a really painfully slow growing. After that, it just took off. During the active growing growing season, I would feed it fish and kelp emulsion once a week. Mulching really helps too. When it got to fruiting age, I use a zero nitrogen fertilizer from EB stone 0 10 10 to just focus on fruiting. If you want the tree to bloom, you will want to stop feeding and watering late fall into winter. Gotta let it suffer and stress out for it to fruit.  When the tree starts to wake up, then start giving some bloom booster. Very important to only give low to zero nitrogen fertilizer. Since your tree is still young, feed it, try to get as much growth out of it during active seasons.

Max

Oops! Sorry to get your name's wrong, Max!

Thank you for the tips!