Author Topic: Which Indian Variety Mango Is This?  (Read 2786 times)

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
Which Indian Variety Mango Is This?
« on: July 14, 2021, 11:32:12 AM »
I purchased a grafted mango tree 2 years ago. The fruit is absolutely delicious! The obvious yellow skin and inside a light yellow flesh. Super sweet, great texture and very aromatic. Any idea which variety?

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:39:26 PM by BayTropics »

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
Re: Which Indian Variety Is This Mango?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 11:41:48 AM »
Resembles Kesar

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 11:51:13 AM »
It does look like Kesar, but this mango has a very light colored flesh. Looking at it I didn't think it would taste that great. I was wrong. It was amazing!   

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 11:56:06 AM »
Maybe Chaunsa?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 04:15:42 PM »
It does look like Kesar, but this mango has a very light colored flesh. Looking at it I didn't think it would taste that great. I was wrong. It was amazing!   
My Kesar are fairly dark colored flesh inside and shape is like the photo montage with some blush when exposed to the sun. It doesn't have the beak like the original photo in question.

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 07:09:33 PM »
My Kesar are fairly dark colored flesh inside and shape is like the photo montage with some blush when exposed to the sun. It doesn't have the beak like the original photo in question.

Yes, we can rule out Kesar. The tree is young and this was the only fruit it gave. Hopefully next year it will produce more fruit to compare to. So far my favorite mango I have ever tasted and I have tried Coconut Cream, Sugar Loaf, and other top mangoes. Of course taste is subjective. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 09:54:49 PM »
What makes you so sure its an Indian variety?
- Rob

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 10:42:13 AM »

I bought 4 known Indian varieties. Chuansa, Langra, Bangapoli and Anwar Rotol. I labeled the pots with a marker and over time the ink came off.

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 11:53:53 AM »

I bought 4 known Indian varieties. Chuansa, Langra, Bangapoli and Anwar Rotol. I labeled the pots with a marker and over time the ink came off.

It could be Langra Benarasi but not the regular langra which is propagated in Northern part, mostly in West Bengal of India, Multan and Sindh provinces of Pakistan and Bangladesh. They consider Langra Benarasi as the original cultivar when a lame(Langra) farmer propagated this variety in southern India, thus got the name. These two Langras have two different fruit morphology specially size, shape and color.
Popular one, not the Benarasi doesn't  have that prominent beak showed in your photo. It is oval and little elongated. Definitely, its not Chaunsa, Anwar Ratool. May be a Kesar but I'm more inclined to LANGRA BENARASI.

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 12:37:17 PM »

It could be Langra Benarasi but not the regular langra which is propagated in Northern part, mostly in West Bengal of India, Multan and Sindh provinces of Pakistan and Bangladesh. They consider Langra Benarasi as the original cultivar when a lame(Langra) farmer propagated this variety in southern India, thus got the name. These two Langras have two different fruit morphology specially size, shape and color.
Popular one, not the Benarasi doesn't  have that prominent beak showed in your photo. It is oval and little elongated. Definitely, its not Chaunsa, Anwar Ratool. May be a Kesar but I'm more inclined to LANGRA BENARASI.

Thanks for your help, but it's definitely not a Langra Benarasi. No red blush. There are several types of Chaunsa. White, Sweet, and Honey varieties.

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 12:38:39 PM »

This fruit is listed as a chaunsa and looks the same. I just need to find out which one.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:49:37 PM by BayTropics »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: Which Indian Variety Mango Is This?
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 06:37:38 PM »
Where did you get these from if you don't mind me asking.
Reason being is that there has been plenty of this discussion on the forum about Indian varieties not being mislabel.
Some times even the labeled stuff people bring be from Indian might be a region specific version of something like that. (I'm looking at you himsagar)

Comparing it to fruit online might not be the best thing.
It's possible they might look a bit different in this climate

Mangoscope seems to specialize in Indian mangos so I'd take his/her word on it.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 08:02:36 PM »
Reason being is that there has been plenty of this discussion on the forum about Indian varieties not being mislabel.
Some times even the labeled stuff people bring be from Indian might be a region specific version of something like that. (I'm looking at you himsagar)

I would go further and question who is propagated them as those are not commonly found varieties in Florida and not propagated by the "usual suspects."
- Rob

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2021, 10:45:12 PM »

I would go further and question who is propagated them as those are not commonly found varieties in Florida and not propagated by the "usual suspects."
Very true

There was that eBay guy a few years back claiming to have all those Indian varieties. Ended up being a fraud

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2021, 11:16:35 PM »
Alex  (squam256), Satya,  Har and many others on this great forum have quite an extensive knowledge of Indian Mangoes. I’m
Just bumping it so they might see and potentially recognize.

I know next to nothing but to me it looks the shape of “Bombay” even though I understand there is no blush and  that’s actually a Jamaican mango, and like I said I know almost nothing, but I’ve heard experts say that mangos don’t always blush if grown in interior locations or maybe in the shade.

Good luck

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2021, 11:31:08 PM »
Alex  (squam256), Satya,  Har and many others on this great forum have quite an extensive knowledge of Indian Mangoes. I’m
Just bumping it so they might see and potentially recognize.

I know next to nothing but to me it looks the shape of “Bombay” even though I understand there is no blush and  that’s actually a Jamaican mango, and like I said I know almost nothing, but I’ve heard experts say that mangos don’t always blush if grown in interior locations or maybe in the shade.

Good luck

Bombay are more round than what the fruit in tbe picture appears to be.  They also are not that yellow of a color.
- Rob

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2021, 09:17:45 AM »

The guy everyone most everyone doesn't trust in Florida. I'm fully aware about the accusations. I talked to him many times on the phone. I've seen his mother trees. BTW, he no longer sells the Bangapoli because his mother tree died. He told me he does purchase from Zill to sell other varieties besides his own. It's good to question things, but better proof is needed instead of just conjecture. Maybe someone else here actually purchase his trees. Wait 2 years like I did to watch it fruit. BTW, even in the worst case scenario that I was scammed like the rest. This fruit to me tasted better than Sugarloaf and Coconut Cream. A good scam.  ;D 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2021, 09:42:23 AM »

The guy everyone most everyone doesn't trust in Florida. I'm fully aware about the accusations. I talked to him many times on the phone. I've seen his mother trees. BTW, he no longer sells the Bangapoli because his mother tree died. He told me he does purchase from Zill to sell other varieties besides his own. It's good to question things, but better proof is needed instead of just conjecture. Maybe someone else here actually purchase his trees. Wait 2 years like I did to watch it fruit. BTW, even in the worst case scenario that I was scammed like the rest. This fruit to me tasted better than Sugarloaf and Coconut Cream. A good scam.  ;D

So you have talked to him on the phone and seen his trees...and???

When the show doesn't fit, then what?  When your fruit doesnt match what you supposedly bought, sounds like a scam and whats worse, you are defending it because he sold you on it. 

What gets me is when people come on here, acting like experts, and ask for advise, then bash people cause thy dont like the responses they get.  Have fun with your trees.  Good thing you enjoy the fruit.

Oh, and who cares if he did/does buy from ZHPP, the trees in question have nothing to do with them.
- Rob

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2021, 11:31:34 AM »

This fruit is listed as a chaunsa and looks the same. I just need to find out which one.

This is not Chaunsa. I've been growing Chaunsa. The scion of which is from its native country, not the fake ones found in USDA. It is an elongated fruit turns yellow when ripen. This fruit isn't elongated. I don't know about the fruit morphology how it changes its shape in Florida condition but obviously, flavor profile can be changed big time, trees aren't in their native environment.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 11:36:43 AM by MANGOSCOPE »

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2021, 11:42:26 AM »

This is not Chaunsa. I've been growing Chaunsa. The scion of which is from its native country, not the fake ones found in USDA. It is an elongated fruit turns yellow when ripen. This fruit isn't elongated. I don't know about the fruit morphology how it changes its shape in Florida condition but obviously, flavor profile can be changed big time, trees aren't in their native environment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaunsa#/media/File:Chaunsa.JPG

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2021, 12:07:46 PM »

So you have talked to him on the phone and seen his trees...and???

When the show doesn't fit, then what?  When your fruit doesnt match what you supposedly bought, sounds like a scam and whats worse, you are defending it because he sold you on it. 

What gets me is when people come on here, acting like experts, and ask for advise, then bash people cause thy dont like the responses they get.  Have fun with your trees.  Good thing you enjoy the fruit.

Oh, and who cares if he did/does buy from ZHPP, the trees in question have nothing to do with them.

You already came to a conclusion based on conjecture. I compared the mango to the list of fruit people have stated he's selling that he purchased from Zill and it does not match. Also, don't make this an ego thing. Truth is truth. If wrong I'm ok with it. You have to much ego to admit you are wrong, BS Bully. Get over yourself and grow up.   ::)

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2021, 12:16:07 PM »

If you been growing Chaunsa, you should know there DIFFERENT Chuansa varieties. There are black, white, honey, and sweet chuansa varieties.   

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 12:20:35 PM by BayTropics »

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2021, 12:17:21 PM »
This Chuansa variety compared to Shinri.

BayTropics

• Brandon, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2021, 12:37:08 PM »

It's not that simple friend.   ;)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2021, 01:57:58 PM »
Whew! Now I'm thoroughly confused!
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk