Author Topic: Sweetest pink/red guava, Mexican Cream guava, and guavas in general  (Read 17397 times)

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Sweetest pink/red guava, Mexican Cream guava, and guavas in general
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2022, 08:28:44 PM »
This is the first fruit off a guava tree I bought from Guava King on eBay a couple years ago.  It doesn’t match any of the descriptions he has but I’m happy to have it.  It’s moved up to our first place spot.

Fruit is large and completely seedless, texture is denser and firmer than our other guavas, more like a pear.  Sweet with a balance of tartness and a nice light guava flavor.  Scott doesn’t like the skin on some guavas, but he liked this one.  I have a couple that have a stronger tropical guava flavor but for overall eating quality, especially being seedless, we like it best so far.

Does anyone recognize this variety?

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2022, 09:56:18 PM »
Galka, thanks for the info on source for your trees.

Janet, that is a large fruit and seedless so that's a winner. I hope my grafted seedless guava from Trianhthy and Crystal seedless from Xshen grows faster so I can check out the fruits. Both of their fruits are large. The shape of your fruit looks similar to Trianhthy's true seedless guava.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2022, 10:10:53 PM »
Janet, I doubt your guava from Guava King (ebay) is the same source as the one from Trianhthy but the fruit looks similar.

Good news that his guava is very good tasting and large. I also purchased a few different varieties from Guava King a year or so ago. The trees that survived looked like the fruits were different for the box store (Home Depot, Lowes) plain varieties. One tree I got is his Crunchy Pink, supposed to be seedless, hope the fruit gets as big as yours.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2022, 11:33:58 PM »
It is probably the Indonesian seedless.  It is soft and seedless.

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2023, 06:06:59 PM »
Wow! What an awesome looking Guava! I wonder if it would become creamy if you let it sit a little longer. What did Guava King sell it as? I wonder if it's still listed online and what pictures he is using. Lots of people have been complaining about him posting random pictures of guava varieties and then sending something else.

This is the first fruit off a guava tree I bought from Guava King on eBay a couple years ago.  It doesn’t match any of the descriptions he has but I’m happy to have it.  It’s moved up to our first place spot.

Fruit is large and completely seedless, texture is denser and firmer than our other guavas, more like a pear.  Sweet with a balance of tartness and a nice light guava flavor.  Scott doesn’t like the skin on some guavas, but he liked this one.  I have a couple that have a stronger tropical guava flavor but for overall eating quality, especially being seedless, we like it best so far.

Does anyone recognize this variety?

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2023, 06:51:07 PM »
Please let us know if your trees produce fruit this year and if they are true to (promised/advertised) type. Would love to see some pictures of the fruit! Do the trees look like they are airlayered?

I also purchased a few different varieties from Guava King a year or so ago. The trees that survived looked like the fruits were different for the box store (Home Depot, Lowes) plain varieties. One tree I got is his Crunchy Pink, supposed to be seedless, hope the fruit gets as big as yours.

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2023, 07:17:09 PM »
Ok, so last year in May I bought an airlayered Ruby x Supreme guava tree from a local nursery in a three gallon container. It came with a 2-3 flower buds. I decided to put the tree in the ground immediately and try to get some fruit the first year. It worked, and while the original flowers turned into fruit and continued growing, the tree grew a bunch over the summer and started producing even more flowers.  So I got fruit in October (the original flowers that came with the tree when purchased) and I have been getting even more fruit since the last day of January. 

The fruits are great! Currently they are sweet and juicy with a hint of sour in the rind when not super duper ripe and soft (fruit gets sweeter as it gets riper). The combination is pretty perfect actually. I am very surprised how good the winter fruit tastes. Can't wait for the summer fruit to ripen this year. This one is definitely a keeper, and I am not even continuing to look for sweet red varities anymore.

Here's the thing though....the fruits are huge!  The original fruits in October were between 220-336g, which seemed at the upper end of the documented weight range for Ruby Supreme, but the current crop has been weighing 454 - 516g!  I have never heard about Ruby Supreme being this big and heavy. Of course there are smaller fruit in the tree, too, but there are actually a lot of big ones like that. Also, the fruits are quite round like Barbie Pink.  So, what do you guys think? Is this Ruby x Supreme 6-29? See pictures below.  The summer fruit had almost no seeds and the fruit seemed a bit darker (or maybe it's just the camera). The giant winter fruits still don't have super many seeds and the seeds are pretty soft and chewable. Nobody even notices them...not much anyway. The apple and orange in the comparison picture below are *giant* apples and oranges...as big as they get. Medium and small sized apples and oranges would look tiny next to the guava.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 07:20:00 PM by CaliLowWater »

CaliLowWater

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2023, 04:47:17 PM »
Are people just not that interested in guavas here? (Judging by the lack of replies to this thread and general paucity of guava topics in this forum). And here I am with 14 guava trees I planted in the last two years....

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2023, 04:52:39 PM »
Grafting guava using normal methods have failed for me.  So I use a modified method as shown in this video starting at 5:39.  You do not need to understand Vietnamese language.  I used this method to graft cherimoya, atemoya, guava, and even fig.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq9A1IvCx7A

Recently I bought a "Queen Improved" Guava from Mimosa Nursery online. It appears to be the same method as demonstrated in the video. The few cleft grafts I have tried on guavas have not worked out

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2023, 05:44:59 PM »
Cleft grafts on guava work well only in the spring for me when I have a strong rootstock that is pushing out new growth and healthy scions that are either dormant or buds just starting to swell.  I always cover my difficult grafts with a punctured ziplock bag in Phoenix.  I would say the success rate is about 2 out of 3.

CenCalArt

• Visalia ca USA 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2023, 01:33:38 AM »
I love guava and I have a collection of 12 different varieties
And would like to have more lol.

Ruby supreme
Barbie pink
Tropical pink
Tropical white
Strawberry guava
Lemon guava
Tikal
Peruvian white
Safeda
Red apple guava (surkha)
And an unknown from a close friend.
If anyone has any to share, trade or sell you can let me know. Thanks.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2023, 01:48:09 AM »
CenCalArt, have you tasted any of your guavas that you grow?
If you have tasted some, which one do you like the most?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2023, 07:08:42 AM »
I've heard that the Mexican cream's from the big box stores are either mislabeled or of poor quality.
I find the red guava is better for juicing.  Fron what I understand, barbie pink ruby x Supreme are best pink varieties.

In my experience they are both mislabeled AND poor quality.

Regards,

Gary

CenCalArt

• Visalia ca USA 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2023, 09:48:07 AM »
CenCalArt, have you tasted any of your guavas that you grow?
If you have tasted some, which one do you like the most?

All except the last five this will be its first fruiting season.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2023, 10:53:50 AM »
Ok, nice. Can I ask you which one you liked better, the Ruby supreme or the Barbie pink ?

CenCalArt

• Visalia ca USA 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 09, 2023, 01:01:59 PM »
Barbie pink is the one I like more but my kids like the ruby supreme they mostly go for the small fruits.
I’m just happy to share the experience with them like my folks did with me. They get mind blown when they see the so many different varieties.

GrowerA

• Zone9
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2023, 01:48:01 PM »
During the 20+years that I have been collecting and studying Psidium guajava. It is one of my favorite childhood fruits. Photos are my top pick varieties that I like the most.

Vietnamese white guava is crunchy white flesh with semisoft /soft seeded, sweet and sour balance, keep good flavor even in wet weather. Photos show average size fruit. It can get larger under right condition. Some fruit can have red flushing skin due to chill hours. This one is the oldest variety.
There are other types of Vietnamese guava that were grown from seeds have not been evaluated yet.

Taiwanese white guava is crunchy white flesh seeded,  sour/sweet,  keep good flavor even in wet weather.

The pink flesh varieties were grown from seeds. I selected many varieties from seedlings and pick those that I like the most.
1.  Honey kiss is one of the sweetest guavas that I have in my collection, keep good flavor even in wet weather.
2.  Lovely pink
I have more seedlings pink flesh that have not been evaluated yet.  One of them may be the #2 in line over the Lovely pink. This one, I only tried its fruit just one time.

Last photo is crystal seedless, crunchy white flesh, may have 1 or 3 seeds in some fruit. Base on reviews of seedless varieties from other collector, then this one is one of the top picks. For me I just grow this variety for fun. I like the seeded variety better, especially the one with semisoft /soft seeded.

linsecte

• france asia spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 07, 2023, 03:22:31 AM »
Those really red ones, and dolores seedless look awesome. Would love to graft those up! Lately I have been super impressed with long leaf guava psidium striatulum. It is the most intense guava flavor I've had and has low seed count. It's a smaller fruit than tropical guava but enough for me. Really easy grower and heavy producer.
would you know if it's more or less cold tolerant compare to P. cattleianum? ^^

chrisafix23

• Roseville, California Zones 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 07, 2023, 11:31:38 AM »
CenCalArt, I have a couple of guavas that I don't see on your list. I have a mexican cream, Queen guava (this one you can get at Mimosa nursery), Thai seedless, and golden honey moon. How is your peruvian white? I've never hear of that one.

hammer524, have you gotten any fruit off of your queen guava? I recently bought this one too. It sounds good but I haven't tasted it yet.

GrowerA, where did you obtain that honey kiss guava?

There are many varieties and I'm on the look out for the best ones. Kind of addicting haha.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 08, 2023, 12:27:54 AM »
CenCalArt, I have a couple of guavas that I don't see on your list. I have a mexican cream, Queen guava (this one you can get at Mimosa nursery), Thai seedless, and golden honey moon. How is your peruvian white? I've never hear of that one.

hammer524, have you gotten any fruit off of your queen guava? I recently bought this one too. It sounds good but I haven't tasted it yet.

GrowerA, where did you obtain that honey kiss guava?

There are many varieties and I'm on the look out for the best ones. Kind of addicting haha.

no i lost it when I moved. but have no fearm they have an improved queen guava that I nabbed. Haven't checked for any flowers recently

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2023, 07:21:34 PM »
I have not had success growing the low vigor Taiwan / Asian guava varieties such as crystal, queen, century, pearl in the ground in Phoenix AZ. 
Seedling Asian guavas and fast growing guavas like ruby supreme and Mexican cream grow very well for me.
The low vigor guavas start to suffer above 110F.  They do ok in pots with some afternoon shade, so don't like the desert soil here as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk