Author Topic: Persimmon dormancy  (Read 1221 times)

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
Persimmon dormancy
« on: May 01, 2022, 11:13:25 AM »
How long a dormant bareroot persimmon usually break dormancy? It's appears my coffee cake and chocolate not showing any sign yet.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Persimmon dormancy
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 11:52:21 AM »
You should scratch the bark to see if it is still alive. Even up north, ours have already broken bud.

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 01:22:13 PM »
You should scratch the bark to see if it is still alive. Even up north, ours have already broken bud.

They're alive alright (saw that when trimmed it back). I heard (online) that persimmon bareroot can take up to 6 months (into the fall) to break dormancy. However, the seller only warranty up to 3 months.

Flgarden

• Oviedo FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 01:28:33 PM »
I received my chocolate persimmon last week from gurney. It's pushing grown now.
Ana

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 02:40:01 PM »
If it's stressed or not getting enough sunlight, may be behind schedule. Ours was a bit late, was overly dry and is shaded. Now it's pushing.

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 03:52:00 PM »
Yeah, probably shock of planting. I'm going to remove the mulch to let the soil heat up a bit.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 08:22:02 AM »
How long a dormant bareroot persimmon usually break dormancy? It's appears my coffee cake and chocolate not showing any sign yet.

In the past i had bought a chocolate variety persimmon bareroot. Planted it in a pot and waited prolly till the middle to end of june for it to wake up. I remember my other persimmons were leafed out when i had enough and threw the bareroot chocolate . I also remember that the stem was probably still green just above the graft when i disposed it.

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 08:26:45 AM »
In the past i had bought a chocolate variety persimmon bareroot. Planted it in a pot and waited prolly till the middle to end of june for it to wake up. I remember my other persimmons were leafed out when i had enough and threw the bareroot chocolate . I also remember that the stem was probably still green just above the graft when i disposed it.

Update, the coffee cake which I cut back (to a stick), now leafing out. The chocolate which initially look more promising (only trim 1/2 branches), shows no sign of leafing. Maybe chocolate variety doesn't take transplant well?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 09:52:59 AM »

Update, the coffee cake which I cut back (to a stick), now leafing out. The chocolate which initially look more promising (only trim 1/2 branches), shows no sign of leafing. Maybe chocolate variety doesn't take transplant well?
i dunno, i think my plant back then was unnapropriately handeled and probably the roots got a bit too dry at some point on ita way towards me, or whatever.... i will try again with this variety ,now that i am gaining more experience with my other persimmons, but will only by bareroots in person and not online.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 03:17:16 PM »

Alekhan. In the future I would recommend purchasing plants from someone local or in your state. Just fruits and exotics so far has not done wrong. I used to buy a lot of bare root stuff. The anxiety waiting to see if I bought a dud was just too much ;D ;D

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 04:03:15 PM »
I agree about bareroot stuff online vs getting something in person. What I paid for an online nursery's bareroot plus shipping I could have had a big tree with multiple branches in a 5gal which surprisingly my local HomeDepot had in stock at the time (Jiro persimmons) in northern NJ. This year for the first time they are carrying citrus, guava, passionfruit, and some other "porch plant" as they are marketing them, which here it's rare to find somewhere to get these things unless you order from an online nursery and have it shipped which is usually the only choice.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 05:59:11 PM »
I got 10 barefoot persimmons a couple years back. Some were so bad looking that they were like the letter h -2 big roots and that’s it. I planted them all, and surprisingly they all made it with no extra care. Just prune back the top part so the plant isn’t too stressed. But yes, I do prefer potted plants.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 01:47:53 AM »
I agree about bareroot stuff online vs getting something in person. What I paid for an online nursery's bareroot plus shipping I could have had a big tree with multiple branches in a 5gal which surprisingly my local HomeDepot had in stock at the time (Jiro persimmons) in northern NJ. This year for the first time they are carrying citrus, guava, passionfruit, and some other "porch plant" as they are marketing them, which here it's rare to find somewhere to get these things unless you order from an online nursery and have it shipped which is usually the only choice.

From time to time i will also go for a not so healthy plant, if its rare to find. Usually such plants i manage to nurse back to health.

I got 10 barefoot persimmons a couple years back. Some were so bad looking that they were like the letter h -2 big roots and that’s it. I planted them all, and surprisingly they all made it with no extra care. Just prune back the top part so the plant isn’t too stressed. But yes, I do prefer potted plants.
Apart from the chocolate that died on me, i had previously bought two other persimmons from a seller at my village, when i got home at a closer inspection all the feeger roots were toast and also the main ones were halfway dead. I planted them anyway but nothink came out of that. I hate people that sell bad plants, intentionally or unintentionally......

Ive had also positive outcomes with bareroot persimons , the two big ones in pots that i have now were bareroot plants 3-4 years ago, but those i picked in person and inspected the roots which were kept moist and were alive.
Ive said this before but some nurseries just dont care to handle the plants at the best way possible for the plant.....i mean its never sure that a bareroot will take if kept properly till sell, but it surely will not take if its awready dead at purchase..
Sorry about the bragg .....

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2022, 05:22:09 AM »
What they listed online was misleading. Something like: 5g, 5-6ft tall, 2 year old...etc. Also, it shipped in a 5 gal pot. However, when I take it out to plant it, it's only a big root that was not bonded to the soil. I'd realized that it's not a plant, just a bareroot.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2022, 04:50:23 PM »
What they listed online was misleading. Something like: 5g, 5-6ft tall, 2 year old...etc. Also, it shipped in a 5 gal pot. However, when I take it out to plant it, it's only a big root that was not bonded to the soil. I'd realized that it's not a plant, just a bareroot.

Ive heard about this and it usually is easily detected by a more experienced person. I one bought a edible chesnut that came in a pot and the soil was airy and loose, some of the roots were exposed and kinda going straight down like the main root. The plant though did fine, no problems with it, but its still a mislead to sell bareroots this way and present it as an established potted  plant for a higher $$ value....