Author Topic: Mango Tasting Table (7/16/2022)--CAC the Winner!  (Read 1208 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Mango Tasting Table (7/16/2022)--CAC the Winner!
« on: July 16, 2022, 05:39:55 PM »
I had a few relatives over, and we tasted Cac, Dupuis Saigon, Peach Cobbler, and two different seedlings.  Everyone agreed that Cac was the best, but surprisingly the seedling fruit (which in a previous thread I had mistaken for Kent) came in second.  Peach Cobbler was third (we all tasted tangerine), but it may not have been the best representative of this variety.  Unfortunately, a Venus mango was still too hard to be included.  The last two Cac I've tasted have been almost identical in flavor to the Mahachanok mangoes I grew in the past--with floral and cola notes and super-sweet without acidity.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 07:15:46 PM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Tasting Table (7/16/2022)--CAC the Winner!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 06:17:43 PM »
Next season John I'll send you a box of a Seedling variety of Bombay for your review. I would very much like to try this seedling that you seem to enjoy. You didn't happen to post a photo of that fruit I'd like to see it. Also I received a tip on a Seedling mango down in the Lake Placid area that is a Seedling possibly of Springfels. It's reported to be unique with a pineapple-ish flavor.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 06:24:09 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 06:43:55 PM »
Got some Cac, Pina Colada, and others from Squam. PC owned them all. Dot was a close 2nd. So good.

Not sure what is up with Cac and me. I like it, but never have been blown away by one. Do they need to be eaten under/overripe?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 07:21:08 PM »
Got some Cac, Pina Colada, and others from Squam. PC owned them all. Dot was a close 2nd. So good.

Not sure what is up with Cac and me. I like it, but never have been blown away by one. Do they need to be eaten under/overripe?
I love Dot, but haven't tasted Pina Colada yet.  The Cac were firm-ripe, and like I said, they really tasted like Mahachanok to me, although the first one had some melon notes.  I could see how the flavor might not be someone's favorite--no acidity and no resin.
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 07:26:51 PM »
Next season John I'll send you a box of a Seedling variety of Bombay for your review. I would very much like to try this seedling that you seem to enjoy. You didn't happen to post a photo of that fruit I'd like to see it. Also I received a tip on a Seedling mango down in the Lake Placid area that is a Seedling possibly of Springfels. It's reported to be unique with a pineapple-ish flavor.
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=48132.0
I think you would like the second seedling also from the same source.  It's a winner, too.  Skhan liked it a lot last year.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 09:30:50 PM »
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=48132.0
I think you would like the second seedling also from the same source.  It's a winner, too.  Skhan liked it a lot last year.
John51 I would have bet dollars to Donuts that you would have picked Sturrock Edward multi-bloomer mango tree
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Tasting Table (7/16/2022)--CAC the Winner!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 11:33:01 PM »
Nice.
From the limited sampling of Maha I've tried, I tasted the durio flavor and parsnips, with CAC I've only tasted parsnips. The durio flavor I've also tasted in the guava mango if you don't get too close to the skin.

I prefer some resin complexity, but the parsnip flavor is very good when there is a creamy texture along with it like P-22

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 12:45:11 PM »
Nice.
From the limited sampling of Maha I've tried, I tasted the durio flavor and parsnips, with CAC I've only tasted parsnips. The durio flavor I've also tasted in the guava mango if you don't get too close to the skin.

I prefer some resin complexity, but the parsnip flavor is very good when there is a creamy texture along with it like P-22
It's been a long time since I've eaten any parsnips, so that may be why my taste buds are interpreting the flavor in another way.
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 01:21:10 PM »
Nice.

It's been a long time since I've eaten any parsnips, so that may be why my taste buds are interpreting the flavor in another way.

Same here, time for parsnip taste testing

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 01:30:26 PM »
People I know from the north who ate lots of parsnips in the past say they taste it in some mangos.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 05:44:37 PM »
People I know from the north who ate lots of parsnips in the past say they taste it in some mangos.
My strong suspicion is that the "cola" flavor and the parsnip flavor are one and the same, just a different interpretation.  The Venus was ripe today so I tasted that.  It has the same flavor, but a little less strong, so the flavor is of SE Asian origin ("Indochinese").
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 12:32:30 PM by johnb51 »
John

socalbalcony2

• OC, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 06:29:03 PM »
I tried CAC ~2yrs ago and it was/is among my top favorites, that being said, I wasn't a huge fan of Maha the few times I've had em..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk