Author Topic: What is this funky stuff on my white sapote?  (Read 372 times)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
What is this funky stuff on my white sapote?
« on: October 07, 2022, 07:00:45 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what the discoloration is on the skin of my Vernon Sapote tree purchased at Home Depot in Indio California about 2 years ago. It started as 3 gal and was upsized to a 7 gal. Flowered in Early Spring. It tasted sweet with a sugarcane like flavor. There was no caramel undertone like the one I tasted from the tree at Clausens in Vista. The texture and flavor  is very similar to a pawpaw but with a little graininess like a pear.  The level of sweetness was like a just ripe cavandish banana. Not at all cloying. The skin was much like a pear with no bitterness. One half had a slight citrus flavor more like orange or tangerine than lemon or lime or grapefruit. Zero sourness. There is a slight tannin aftertaste that may be from the pieces of skin I ate. It had two large well developled seeds and two that were not developed. I would say it was 50% pulp.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 10:53:39 AM by CarolinaZone »

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: What is this funky stuff on my white sapote?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 12:34:36 PM »
Hard to say what is on surface of fruit but could be from high humity, vernon is my favorite variety I find that some fruit have the caramel intensness when super ripe while others just when regular ripeness. Enjoy that fruit a good luck growing out.