Author Topic: Jaboticabas & such ...  (Read 30911 times)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Jaboticabas & such ...
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:55:06 PM »
San Diego grown jabos are finally ready and I couldn't be happier  ;D ;D ;D  sorry for the glare but that's a quarter amongst the jabos.

We have also been on a steady Lychee diet, my little girls absolutely love them and couldn't get enough, picked up another 4lbs at Costco ($3.50/lb) ... and some CA grown Hass ...

Tim

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabas & such ...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »
Hi Tim,

Looks great...I mean Yummy ;D I'm also a fan of Jabuticaba ;) Can't wait to harvest a bucket full of them fruits :)

THX for sharing ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:10:57 PM »
Congrats! How old is the Jabo?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »
I normally suck out pulp, and use a few of the jabo skins to clean my teeth and gums...the astringency and feeling is much better than fluoride.  I make sure to slightly chew skin, and rub all over my gum lines, in a circular motion...it's a real joy.

Although I'm not certain how efficacious it has been.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 03:15:23 PM »
Are the jabos from Costco, or only the lychees? I've never tasted a jabo fruit before, would love to try some.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 03:36:30 PM »
ASaffron: It might well be cleaning your teeth, although it won't do the same thing as fluoride.  :)  Teeth are normally predominantly hydroxylapatite.  Fluoride converts it to fluoroapatite, which is a harder and more acid-resistant mineral.  So yeah, not the same, but it may well at least be cleaning your teeth  :)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »
Lychees were from Costco but the jabos came from Ben Poirer, my trees are so big I'm about 10years removed from tasting first fruit  ;D

They break down fast after harvest so there's no way you'll be able to find let them at Costco or any other store, let alone quality fruits.  Unfortunate because they're really good fruits that everyone should have access to.
Tim

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »
Are the jabos from Costco, or only the lychees? I've never tasted a jabo fruit before, would love to try some.

NewGen,

Costco sell jabo?

Not this season...or probably for the next 10 seasons.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...but no publix or costco, or corporate grocery story in USA consistently stocks jaboticaba fruits.

You'll have to grow them unfortunately, or find someone who is!

Best of luck...you are welcome to come to FL...all u can eat off my red jabo trees...just return the seeds please! :)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 05:44:18 PM »
I have a jabo tree, only 1 foot tall. All I have is time, so that'll have to do.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »
Lychees were from Costco but the jabos came from Ben Poirer, my trees are so big I'm about 10years removed from tasting first fruit  ;D

They break down fast after harvest so there's no way you'll be able to find let them at Costco or any other store, let alone quality fruits.  Unfortunate because they're really good fruits that everyone should have access to.

That's not really true. If the jaboticabas are placed into a clamshell and refrigerated immediately after picking they will last one week without any problem. They could be sold in stores if there were enough trees around. They are certainly not as fragile as blueberries, raspberries, which are sold plenty in stores.
Oscar

Yellowthumb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 07:51:53 PM »
My jab tree. It's drinking so much water. Have to water it every day when it's sunny. I wish I could get at least one fruit some day.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:41:48 PM by Yellowthumb »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 08:19:24 PM »
harvest is a most arduous chore...I think this and yhe tendency of fruit skin ripping when harvested, causing fast spoilage, are the limiting factors

That's not really true. If the jaboticabas are placed into a clamshell and refrigerated immediately after picking they will last one week without any problem. They could be sold in stores if there were enough trees around. They are certainly not as fragile as blueberries, raspberries, which are sold plenty in stores.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 01:46:38 AM »
I don't intend to germinate any of these seeds so just in case anyone is looking for some jaboticaba seeds ... and have lots of free time, cover postage and I'll send some your way.
Tim

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 01:52:16 AM »
see how many bits you can cut them into and still successfully germinate them...I hear they can be cut up because they are polyembryonic...and each part of seed will sprout...but how much can you cut one up and still have each part sprout?

Probably not more than about 2-4 per seed...give it a shot!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 02:00:30 AM »
I've actually done that with my seeds from last year, similar to what I do with Manila mango seeds.  You're absolutely right, if done properly & with gentle hands, you'd get about 3-4   ;D ;D ;D
Tim

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »
I put a handful of those jabos in the fridge after reading Oscar's comment while the rest were eaten, very good with none if that fermented taste at that point cuz they were fresh.  Took three out from the fridge this morning to try and sure enough, all fermented  :-[
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:34:28 PM by Tim »
Tim

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 12:54:41 PM »

Is he a seller of fruits?

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 01:00:11 PM »
He sells trees and whatever in-season fruits from his trees.  Either at his place or the farmers market in Escondido.
Tim

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 07:06:27 PM »
I put a handful of those jabos in the fridge after reading Oscar's comment while the rest were eaten, very good with none if that fermented taste at that point cuz they were fresh.  Took three out from the fridge this morning to try and sure enough, all fermented  :-[

You must have picked them already over ripe and starting to ferment. If you get them at the right stage they do keep fine for a week. I've done this many times, and also other vendors here do it.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 07:16:38 PM »
they keep for a week or so in tupperware in fridge for me

You must have picked them already over ripe and starting to ferment. If you get them at the right stage they do keep fine for a week. I've done this many times, and also other vendors here do it.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 07:45:55 PM »
I think Ken Love has a youtube video about this. He suggests taking the ice box cooler out to the orchard, and as soon as you pick those babies sticking them into that cooler.
I've had jaboticabas in fridge for many weeks, and still eat them. After one week or so they will start to wrinkle and ferment. But even after starting to ferment, to me they taste like wine, and i eat them. I think it's best to use a bowl, rather a closed container, so they can continue to 'breathe'. You can also ofcourse freeze them whole for long storage.
Oscar

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 08:10:17 PM »
Adam - Those fruits sure do have shapeliness, and bear a striking anatomical resemblance!  What do they taste like?

Brad
Brad

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 08:26:43 PM »
He sells trees and whatever in-season fruits from his trees.  Either at his place or the farmers market in Escondido.

Ben's a great guy...He sells plants and fruits...I've always been really happy with whatever I've gotten from him.

He has Lucuma fruits that were really good!  I don't know what it is about the way those lucuma look, but I'm somehow very attracted to the shapeliness of the fruits.

I agree Ben Poirier is very nice guy and a good source of plants and seeds especially for those of you in California.
About the shapeliness of lucuma, the green sapote is the same way, an X-rated fruit. I've already posted my X-rated green sapote photo in another thread. Not the kind of fruit they would serve at  religious parishes.  ;)
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »
Adam - Those fruits sure do have shapeliness, and bear a striking anatomical resemblance!  What do they taste like?

Brad
like maple, Canistel, sweet potatoe, nutmeg...most amazing ingredient for ice-cream or milkshake...taste like cookie dough when prepared in milk shake!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 11:48:31 PM »
ASaffron: It might well be cleaning your teeth, although it won't do the same thing as fluoride.  :)  Teeth are normally predominantly hydroxylapatite.  Fluoride converts it to fluoroapatite, which is a harder and more acid-resistant mineral.  So yeah, not the same, but it may well at least be cleaning your teeth  :)

I liken Jabo to concord grapes with a crunchier skin. I think that if you like Concords, you'd like Jabo. This is the way they were explained to me and I bought a tree without tasting its fruit. I'm in my second season of small harvests and can't wait till it's as full as some I've seen.
Regards,

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk