Author Topic: Jaboticabas & such ...  (Read 30683 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Jaboticabas & such ...
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2012, 11:28:48 PM »
jabomano is true prince of plinia!

if there is a fruiting cambuca that u can get budwood from, I bet it would speed up fruiting time.

I'm currently competing in an international race, to be the first of a group of plinia planters, to have flowers and fruits. ;)

grafting has been my vehicle of choice to leave others in the dust...although I must admit, it's a seemingly easy task to accomplish, but things aren't always what they seem.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2012, 12:35:17 AM »
Since the advice from the Plinia Prince I have been hanging over fences,inspecting park jabs and reviewing pictures of baffled jab enthusiasts.The jaboticaba situation from the land of plenty is that diversity is not plentiful.Plinia jaboticaba var. sabara is 95% of the population and they have been here for over 45 years with big examples around.Plinia spirito santensis var. grimal has been here just as long hiding in the shadows but always refered to as a variety of the small leafed (sabara).No Plinia cauliflora var. paulista were detected or anything else for that matter.
In the local nursery trade I know of no other fruit trees given the wrong genus,species and with their all important variety name omitted.I will report back if I locate other jab. species or varieties but it is looking unlikely.The industry needs a few uppercuts and mostly lots of jabs for their indiscretions.

Australians have been even more in the dark about jaboticabas than Americans. Even an Australian who has a vast collection of tropical fruits and is quite knowledgeable only knew small leafed and large leafed jaboticabas and had absolutely no clue about what  they are and the very many other species available. I guess Australians don't like to travel to Brazil?  ;)
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2012, 01:23:57 AM »

if there is a fruiting cambuca that u can get budwood from, I bet it would speed up fruiting time.

Even moving the seeds here is not looked upon well with the Myrtle rust brew-ha. Moving plants and material between states is frowned upon.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2012, 01:33:29 AM »

Even moving the seeds here is not looked upon well with the Myrtle rust brew-ha. Moving plants and material between states is frowned upon.

Don't think this Myrtaceae rust is spread by seeds, at least there is no evidence of that.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2012, 01:51:12 AM »

Don't think this Myrtaceae rust is spread by seeds, at least there is no evidence of that.

I know. It hasnt stopped the govt from blanket banning them.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2012, 05:24:22 PM »

My sabara is an impatient tree and just can't wait until I eat all the crop.It keeps putting out flower buds in a flush before the last crop has finished.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2012, 06:11:46 PM »
tasty
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2012, 04:11:47 PM »
Saff is there an easy way to rid seeds that are preparing for a trip of that tenaceous flesh? All 3 sabaras of mine have just a few fruit but are covered in flower buds.I also found flowers on my 2 yellow jabs.The sabaras are crazy productive and the fruit have a great taste.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2012, 05:32:18 PM »
Oscar might know.

I think maybe soaking in peroxide and then  scrubbing with soft acrylic sponge?

although I'm not sure if the peroxide will affect viability...and also seeds can be quite soft and easy to damage when scrubbing with sponge.

I always leave pulp on the seeds, and just put them in a bag with coco coir.

you can't pay me' enough to remove the pulp from jabo seeds, it clings too tenaciously.

Saff is there an easy way to rid seeds that are preparing for a trip of that tenaceous flesh? All 3 sabaras of mine have just a few fruit but are covered in flower buds.I also found flowers on my 2 yellow jabs.The sabaras are crazy productive and the fruit have a great taste.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 01:02:00 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »

The easiest way is too collect seeds from fruits that have been on the ground for some time. Or to let some fruits get way over ripe outside in a box. Then the pulp come off very easily after washing.
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2012, 01:20:46 AM »
The easiest way is too collect seeds from fruits that have been on the ground for some time. Or to let some fruits get way over ripe outside in a box. Then the pulp come off very easily after washing.
So let the pulp ferment and break down. I can see that working well. Then maybe peroxide to kill whatever might be on the surface.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2012, 01:48:20 AM »
careful not to let fermentation heat up the seeds and kill them!  :'(
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2012, 02:18:54 AM »
So let the pulp ferment and break down. I can see that working well. Then maybe peroxide to kill whatever might be on the surface.

Yes. This method works well for many hard to clean seeds.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2012, 02:45:56 AM »
Thanks for the tip Oscar I'll do it that way.

I see my yellow has flowers.

All 3 sabaras are gearing up for a coordinated mother of all fruitings.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2012, 03:00:58 AM »
Oscar might know.

I think maybe soaking in peroxide and then  scrubbing with soft acrylic sponge?

although I'm not sure if the peroxide will affect viability...and also seeds can be quite soft and easy to damage when scrubbing with sponge.

I always leave pulp on the seeds, and just put them in a bag with coco coir.

you can't pay me' enough to remove the pulp from jabo seeds, it clings too tenaciously.

Adam, you can usually get away with that mailing inside USA, although it's actually not legal. But foreign shipments are inspected, and if any pulp is found on the seeds they would be rejected. That is why Mike is asking.
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2012, 09:30:20 PM »
Has anyone noticed the number of sprouts from a single jaboticaba seed?  Prior to this, I've only seen 4-5, but this one sent 7...
Sorry it's a tad bit unclear due to poor macro shot & improper angle.

Tim

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2012, 12:41:55 AM »

To all fellow,

Can you please teach me how to germinate jaboticaba seed? any special technique?
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2012, 01:14:57 AM »
Tim, that's pretty rare from just one seed. I've never seen it. You sure it was just one seed and not two seeds stuck together, as in Siamese twin seeds? That often happens.
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2012, 02:43:40 AM »
Yes sir! I made sure to only pop one seed into each starter pot, threw away quite a few also. Of 18 pots, one still hasn't sprouted a dang thing except huge mass of roots, 16 with either 3-4 sprouts....and this odd ball 7.

Tropical66 - the way I germinate mine goes something like this. Always work for me though some may do it differently.
1. Hand scrub all the fleshy pulp off each seed (the ones I don't thoroughly clean always bring mold since I don't treat them with anything.
2. Wet a sheet of paper towel, place cleaned seeds in the center and fold the wet paper to cover all seeds.
3. Place all of step2 in a clear plastic, give it a bit of air and seal or tie the bag up with a rubberband.
4. Place in warm location with some filtered light, like a window with blinds perhaps. Leave alone for two weeks.
5. Once they sprout, put them in soil and lightly cover, keep in shaded area and water regularly.
Tim

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2012, 03:09:46 AM »
Siamese twin seeds can seem like only one seed, even be round like only one seed, but can be pulled apart.
Oscar

tropical66

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2012, 03:22:09 AM »
Yes sir! I made sure to only pop one seed into each starter pot, threw away quite a few also. Of 18 pots, one still hasn't sprouted a dang thing except huge mass of roots, 16 with either 3-4 sprouts....and this odd ball 7.

Tropical66 - the way I germinate mine goes something like this. Always work for me though some may do it differently.
1. Hand scrub all the fleshy pulp off each seed (the ones I don't thoroughly clean always bring mold since I don't treat them with anything.
2. Wet a sheet of paper towel, place cleaned seeds in the center and fold the wet paper to cover all seeds.
3. Place all of step2 in a clear plastic, give it a bit of air and seal or tie the bag up with a rubberband.
4. Place in warm location with some filtered light, like a window with blinds perhaps. Leave alone for two weeks.
5. Once they sprout, put them in soil and lightly cover, keep in shaded area and water regularly.

Thanks for the informations Tim

tropical66

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2012, 08:22:36 AM »

Hi,

My new 2 Jaboticaba tree that I bought from Tropical Fruit Farm Penang, Malaysia.I am not a experienced jaboticaba tree planting, need help from you all here to give tips planting this tree, including the potting soil mixture

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
Use a well drained soil medium with lots of organic matter. Jaboticabas like lots of water. Put the pot on a saucer and keep the saucer full of water for them to absorb all the time. Fertilize every 3 months. They are slow growing plants, but with lots of food and water you can speed them up a lot.
Oscar

tropical66

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »
Use a well drained soil medium with lots of organic matter. Jaboticabas like lots of water. Put the pot on a saucer and keep the saucer full of water for them to absorb all the time. Fertilize every 3 months. They are slow growing plants, but with lots of food and water you can speed them up a lot.

Thanks Oscar for the useful information.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2012, 04:21:39 AM »

Don't forget that they like a ph as low as 4-5.5 or so...depending on Species.  They hate excessive fertilizer, and young plants will be killed easily by a heavy application.

I fertilize mine monthly, but at about 1/4-1/2 of the recommended amount (on the bag of Espoma Holly-tone).

Also don't forget that your tree will fruit much sooner in certain cases if you thin out the larger branches, encouraging more sunlight to penetrate to the caulis, and more flowers to emerge over time...where they are most abundant on most species....the caulis (old wood)....and each node that produces flowers, will increase in productivity...starting out with the first blooms being only 1-8 per node...then over time they can have an excess of 25 or so, individual blooms emerging, per flowering node.

Pruning jaboticabas is not for every grower (those in areas subject to harsh winters should think twice) and definitely not for every species of Myrciaria/Plinia.

But it looks like yours will enjoy some pruning over the years...they appear to be the most common variety on the planet...Myrciaria jaboticaba (Sabara)...and considered one of the premier cultivars.

(PS...what is your soil comprised of? Looks like a nice red/ orange color...I wonder if you purchased them with this soil, or if you added it yourself?  Most jabuticabeira seem to enjoy the terra vermehla (red colored earth...with clay and good Fe content) and other organic matter.

Best of luck with your wise purchase.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com