Author Topic: Let's talking about guava.  (Read 6963 times)

Zulfikar Arsa

• Young Farmer
    • Bogor, West Java, Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • duniabuahnusantara.blogspot.co.id
Let's talking about guava.
« on: April 02, 2016, 11:38:47 PM »
Hello guys,
I'm Zulfikar from Indonesia and a crystal guava farmer

I need to know,
How kind of guava that you are favourite?

And there are here a guava farmer?
Lets make a best network

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talking about guava.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »
Welcome!

I'm not a guava farmer, but I have tried pink, white and yellow guavas. My favorite so far was a small yellow variety that looked like a small lemon, with edible skin and a pale yellow interior. The taste was very exotic and tropical and the smell made me almost faint it was so good! I have not been able to identify the variety yet, but the closest I can tell it is might be a Mexican cultivar. I planted the seeds but have not gotten any sprouts yet.

I'm curious to see what other people say is their favorite!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 11:04:45 PM »
If you can get aishwarya guava in Indonesia 

Zulfikar Arsa

• Young Farmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 08:53:20 PM »
Welcome!

I'm not a guava farmer, but I have tried pink, white and yellow guavas. My favorite so far was a small yellow variety that looked like a small lemon, with edible skin and a pale yellow interior. The taste was very exotic and tropical and the smell made me almost faint it was so good! I have not been able to identify the variety yet, but the closest I can tell it is might be a Mexican cultivar. I planted the seeds but have not gotten any sprouts yet.

I'm curious to see what other people say is their favorite!
Wow, seems amazing...
in Indonesia i never see the yellow flesh guava.
can you give me the pict? please...

Recently, The Indonesian Guava Farmers are planting crystal guava (Taiwan Guava).
Red flesh guava has been leaved.

Zulfikar Arsa

• Young Farmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 08:57:31 PM »

i never heard aishwarya guava..
can you give the pict please?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 10:43:37 PM »
the article mentions he top-worked a mango tree with 300 cultivars...woah!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 12:39:54 AM »

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 05:21:58 PM »
If you ate that yellow guava here in Florida it sounds like the LEMON GUAVA that was (Jeff correct me if I am wrong) Selected in Miami or Homestead.

They are lucious, and have a very citrus like flavor, and scale does not like them... a Big Plus for a guava

Regards,

Gary

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 09:15:17 PM »
Since we are talking guava  i am looking for a variety that is sweet but minimaly musky.  I just can't handle the cat pee smell some have.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 01:01:36 PM »
Since we are talking guava  i am looking for a variety that is sweet but minimaly musky.  I just can't handle the cat pee smell some have.

I know the musky smell, but cat pee? :-) The only guava I have had without the musky odor are the strawberry and lemon types, but they're less guava'ey tasting than others.
Regards,

Gary

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 03:10:30 PM »
If you ate that yellow guava here in Florida it sounds like the LEMON GUAVA that was (Jeff correct me if I am wrong) Selected in Miami or Homestead.

They are lucious, and have a very citrus like flavor, and scale does not like them... a Big Plus for a guava

I have not been able to locate any guava that it resembles exactly. Lemon Guava was the first thing I looked up, but if you see the photo here as an example, it is lighter, more round, has a more distinct cattley guava-type end, and in the photo the seeds are arranged into sections, and look larger than the seeds of my guava. Also, the one I ate did not have a very citrusy flavor... it was more like sweet passionfruit maybe. Hard to describe. The ones I had were about 2.5 inches long, which are a bit larger than I think Lemon Guava are supposed to be. The person I bought it from was at a farmer's market and said it was from Mexico (so not local).

Here is a photo of a lemon guava from the internet:

And then here is the mystery guava I ate, that so far have no sprouted seedlings from [note that it is a more golden color, oblong shape, minimal brown tips, very small seeds arranged as a circle within a circle, and the flesh much creamier-looking than the above photo of the lemon guava - you can't tell from the photo, but these are about 2.5 inches long]:

If you click on the photo it's easier to see it up close.

Sorry, Zulfikar, I don't have any more photos to help you out. But I'm sure that Indonesian guavas are very tasty, and I don't know that you need a Mexican yellow variety to do well. I've never tried a crystal guava, but I've read that they are very good, sweet and with few seeds. Although I loved the flavor of the yellow guava I tried, clearly it had a lot of small hard seeds, and that was a bit of a drawback - although apparently you can eat guava seeds and they have medicinal benefits if you don't eat too many (and if you do not have an intestinal condition that could cause them to get stuck in the intestinal lining and cause infection!). I ate a few, but by and large I saved them and planted them in my yard.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:15:07 PM by LivingParadise »

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »
The super flavored yellow skin one sounds like Mexican Cream to me. I love the strong guava aroma. I have grown many from seed and none of them have been anything like their parent. Whereas Mexican Cream is small and very yellow the babies have been extra large, green skinned and white on the inside with a more pear flavor. Nice but very mild. I may have to check out this Lemon Guava from Florida.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 06:01:50 PM »
The super flavored yellow skin one sounds like Mexican Cream to me. I love the strong guava aroma. I have grown many from seed and none of them have been anything like their parent. Whereas Mexican Cream is small and very yellow the babies have been extra large, green skinned and white on the inside with a more pear flavor. Nice but very mild. I may have to check out this Lemon Guava from Florida.

That's the problem... guavas don't necessarily grow true to seed. :(  But, I'd be happy for any guava that I actually successfully grow from seed to fruiting, even if the fruit are different. I don't know if it's Mexican Cream - I read that they were always round, have white interior, and few seeds? Another description of them I read said they have soft seeds? But the ones in this yellow guava were small and definitely hard...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:05:05 PM by LivingParadise »

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 07:56:12 PM »
There is a seedless guava Zulfiqar that is supposedly popular in Taiwan and Thailand?
It's pretty bland.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

Zulfikar Arsa

• Young Farmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 09:53:10 PM »
https://gyaniz.wordpress.com/2011/01/06/a-guava-named-aishwarya/

Thank you very much...
I think that's very nice.

Has aishwarya planted in any place?

From your article that's plant in India right?

Zulfikar Arsa

• Young Farmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 09:56:03 PM »

Nice pic...

Do you cultivate that?

Zulfikar Arsa

• Young Farmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 10:01:01 PM »

Hopefully i can go to Florida and feel the nice Lemon guava.

Is it can cultivated in Indonesia???

Zulfikar Arsa

• Young Farmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 10:08:07 PM »

Yes, but i think the smell of guava depend on that charachter....

Zulfikar Arsa

• Young Farmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 10:17:07 PM »

I have not been able to locate any guava that it resembles exactly. Lemon Guava was the first thing I looked up, but if you see the photo here as an example, it is lighter, more round, has a more distinct cattley guava-type end, and in the photo the seeds are arranged into sections, and look larger than the seeds of my guava. Also, the one I ate did not have a very citrusy flavor... it was more like sweet passionfruit maybe. Hard to describe. The ones I had were about 2.5 inches long, which are a bit larger than I think Lemon Guava are supposed to be. The person I bought it from was at a farmer's market and said it was from Mexico (so not local).

And then here is the mystery guava I ate, that so far have no sprouted seedlings from [note that it is a more golden color, oblong shape, minimal brown tips, very small seeds arranged as a circle within a circle, and the flesh much creamier-looking than the above photo of the lemon guava - you can't tell from the photo, but these are about 2.5 inches long]:

Sorry, Zulfikar, I don't have any more photos to help you out. But I'm sure that Indonesian guavas are very tasty, and I don't know that you need a Mexican yellow variety to do well. I've never tried a crystal guava, but I've read that they are very good, sweet and with few seeds. Although I loved the flavor of the yellow guava I tried, clearly it had a lot of small hard seeds, and that was a bit of a drawback - although apparently you can eat guava seeds and they have medicinal benefits if you don't eat too many (and if you do not have an intestinal condition that could cause them to get stuck in the intestinal lining and cause infection!). I ate a few, but by and large I saved them and planted them in my yard.

Thanks for your explanation...

that's give me more knowledge.
Hopefully i can go to florida and visit your field. MAybe i can more knowledge if i visit your field..
Yes, in Indonesia Crystal Guava more favourite cause that's have few seeds. Indonesia people not like eat guava's seed. So crystal guava is very favourite.

Zulfikar Arsa

• Young Farmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 10:23:59 PM »
There is a seedless guava Zulfiqar that is supposedly popular in Taiwan and Thailand?
It's pretty bland.

Yes,
There are introduced by Taiwan Technical Mission cooperate with Bogor Agricultural University at 2010.

Crystal guava is very sweet, bland, few seeds, and crunchy texture

Zulfikar Arsa

• Young Farmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 10:41:37 PM »
My Crystal Guava...  ;D

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 11:12:32 PM »

the type shown in your second pic are great!  there is a produce stall at the tallahassee flea market run by latinos.  these guavas are one of their regular items.  they are from mexico, and have been irradiated to kill fruit fly.  i have tried several times to start some from seed, without success.  i guess the radiation is strong enough to zaap the seeds.  also sometimes found at the indian (dot) grocery.
treefrog land and cattle company

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 09:15:25 AM »

Nice pic...

Do you cultivate that?
[/quote]

No. Right now we are working on Jalisco red & Dolores both excellent red hybrids.