Author Topic: New plant ideas  (Read 1275 times)

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
New plant ideas
« on: March 09, 2020, 12:15:44 PM »
I have a small seaside house at zone 10a. Its 20 m ( 60ft) from sea level and about 100 m ( 330 ft) from the sea. The ground is mostly rocky with some ft of soil. The problem is strong winds with seasalt. I am looking to replace a loquat tree with something else interesting that will cope with the conditions. The loquat tree did fine but the fruit usually gets burned by the salt only a few survive and its just not worth it. I also have had luck with avocado that despite some leaf burn due to salt is doing great. So i am looking for something that has resistance to drought, salt, high winds and is hardy to zone 10a.

PedroAC

• Colector from Azores Islands, Portugal
    • Ponta Delgada
    • View Profile
Re: New plant ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 04:10:01 AM »
You need some hard leaf species:

Hard leaf, soft skin fruit: Dovyalis caffra; Guavas; Eugenia Uniflora; Marula; Syzygium;

Hard leaf, thick skin fruit: Longans; Lychees; avocados; oranges; Mangos;

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 04:58:08 AM »
You need some hard leaf species:

Hard leaf, soft skin fruit: Dovyalis caffra; Guavas; Eugenia Uniflora; Marula; Syzygium;

Hard leaf, thick skin fruit: Longans; Lychees; avocados; oranges; Mangos;

Are you sure Longan and Lychees are ok with the sea salt and the high winds? because they sound really good

PedroAC

• Colector from Azores Islands, Portugal
    • Ponta Delgada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 05:46:18 AM »
They grow well here, but i have plant windbreakers that reduce the salt and wind impact.

A good wind breaker specie for the conditions you described is the Metrosideros robusta Cun.

I leave you here a article (in Portuguese) that explains our methodology and species used: http://www.almanaqueacoriano.com/index.php/uncatgorized/24-pomar/29-especies-vegetais-usadas-nos-acores-na-formacao-de-sebes

Here are some species tolerant to salty soils: http://www.biosalinity.org/salt-tolerant_plants.htm

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 06:13:12 AM »
Loquat its verry sensitive to salt.
Related to lychee but verry drought hardy and also more drought hardy its the dune soap berry.Ive tryed to grow from seeds but they didnt make it.
Seashore mangosteen and to graft normal mangosteen on it but its possible that your zone its too cold for them.

And Nitraria Schoberi,the plant from my signature wich only i grow it in Europe ( could be possibly in the world).This i think its the most salt resistant plant and even the fruits are said to be salty thogh i didnt noticed.

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 12:46:33 PM »
They grow well here, but i have plant windbreakers that reduce the salt and wind impact.

A good wind breaker specie for the conditions you described is the Metrosideros robusta Cun.

I leave you here a article (in Portuguese) that explains our methodology and species used: http://www.almanaqueacoriano.com/index.php/uncatgorized/24-pomar/29-especies-vegetais-usadas-nos-acores-na-formacao-de-sebes

Here are some species tolerant to salty soils: http://www.biosalinity.org/salt-tolerant_plants.htm

From the eggfruit and sapodilla on the list you sent me, do you think those two are possible? or they will have a problem with drought?

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 12:48:40 PM »
Loquat its verry sensitive to salt.
Related to lychee but verry drought hardy and also more drought hardy its the dune soap berry.Ive tryed to grow from seeds but they didnt make it.
Seashore mangosteen and to graft normal mangosteen on it but its possible that your zone its too cold for them.

And ,the plant from my signature wich only i grow it in Europe ( could be possibly in the world).This i think its the most salt resistant plant and even the fruits are said to be salty thogh i didnt noticed.

As far as i have read there is no chance any kind of mangosteen would survive.. About the Nitraria Schoberi, how would you describe the taste? and does it grow easily?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 03:16:18 PM »
Nitraria tastes great like mildly smoked plums ,sweet and no sourness.
Look into the dune soap berry,Deinbollia Oblongifolia if you like lychee,and such fruits.This for sure would do well in your area.I dont think you will find live plants thogh but growing them from seed and ive read on toptropicals that they fruit in 3 years from seed unlike lychee that takes long.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 03:40:33 PM »
Related to lychee and rambutan but more hardy like Deinbollia oblongifolia is,Pappea Capensis.
Rare tree but unlike the dune soap berry ( deinbollia) ,this takes up to 20 years to fruit.

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 03:55:45 PM »
Nitraria tastes great like mildly smoked plums ,sweet and no sourness.
Look into the dune soap berry,Deinbollia Oblongifolia if you like lychee,and such fruits.This for sure would do well in your area.I dont think you will find live plants thogh but growing them from seed and ive read on toptropicals that they fruit in 3 years from seed unlike lychee that takes long.

After reading info about the dune soap berry i must say it look amazing and from comments seems to taste amazing and should be hardy and even frost hardy. The only big problem as you said is to find a plant. Also i could not find info on the pollination does it need male female or its self pollinating?
But if you happen to know any nursery or individual that has it please tell me! now i need to have it

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 05:02:43 PM »
I dont think you will find seedlings because this is a rare plant,not common like lychee.
If you want to have it,you will have to buy seeds.
I got my seeds wich didnt germinated from rarepalmseeds.

You need fresh seeds and i reccomend Silverhill seeds from South Africa in case they still exist or sell seeds( the Saunders ,both,the husband and wife ,were killed by ISIS while collecting seeds ).
Talk with them is your best bet and they should also have Pappea Capensis seeds .
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 05:05:45 PM by SeaWalnut »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk