Author Topic: pink fleshed pear  (Read 3642 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
pink fleshed pear
« on: April 22, 2019, 05:46:36 PM »
I have a rare pear tree that makes pears with pink flesh .The taste has a hint of basil and the pear name in romanian means ,,pear that tastes like basil,,.Theyre not a registered cultivar but an ancient type of fruit that has become almost extinct.It makes the fruits in clusters and they are smaller than commercial pears.The fruits are eaten fresh here and people that ate them say they are delicious and verry different from otther pears. If my tree will have fruits this year(its allready 8 feet tall) i could trade the seeds for other seeds here.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: pink fleshed pear
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 09:20:46 PM »
Very interesting. Never heard of that and hope your tree fruits
for you.
Michael

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 10:46:35 AM »
Awesome! How sweet is it?

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 02:00:10 PM »
There are a few varieties of pears with pink flesh, sanguinole or cocomerina for example, but _must_ be in a cold climate to develop the pink. If not the flesh is whitish. Looks an interesting tree in any case. You should sell scions. Seeds do not guarantee the colour.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:03:22 PM by pvaldes »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 02:46:49 PM »
I didnt tasted the fruit iet to know the sweteness but the colector that sold it to me ,also had a few ,,decorative,, pears with red flesh that were suposedly not verry tasty or not gòod to be eaten raw at least.One of those decorative pears wich i also bought but didnt survived ,was a sanguinole and it had a deep red bark ( more reddish than my red fleshed apple ,,red love era) wich led me thinking it could have red leaves also and possibly pink flowers.This one ,the ,,basil pear,, has a pink bark not deep red,and the leaves are normal green .The seller wich is a collector of rare cultivars said only the ,,basil pear,, its goot to eat and that its verry tasty and has a different flawor than normal pears.About the statement that they need cold weather to become red inside, i dont know , but i tend not to believe it because these trees are not normal pears and they have the red pigment even in their bark( its not just the fruit thats red but the whole tree).

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 02:50:56 PM »
There are a few varieties of pears with pink flesh, sanguinole or cocomerina for example, but _must_ be in a cold climate to develop the pink. If not the flesh is whitish. Looks an interesting tree in any case. You should sell scions. Seeds do not guarantee the colour.
You are right that seeds do not guarantee the color but in this case ,one could tell the color of the seedlings from the first year because if it has red fleshed fruits the tree will have a pink or red bark.One could plant a few seeds and keep only those that develop the pink bark.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 02:59:10 PM »
Somme pictures with the pink fleshed pear.Bark its somewhat reddish and the leaves start reddish also. In the last picture its a williams pear .The picture its just for comparisson between the reddish bark of the pink fleshed pear and the grey green bark of the williams.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 03:29:55 PM »
Busioace... what a tongue-twister. Maybe it's one that should be translated into English... Pink Basil!

There is a similar cultivar in Croatia called "Krvavica" (Bloody). And another called "Krvavka" that I am awaiting data on.

Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 06:20:05 PM »
It finally flowered for the first time and abundant.
I should get somme decent fruit crop from this tree and i can give seeds when the fruits will ripe.

It looks similar to that croatian pear and also the french have it in a few regions,possibly the germans too,but its a rare tree and people from each region that has it ,says it grows only there and only they have it.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 08:16:54 PM »
Looks like it is crossed with (red flashed crab apple)
(yes I have Article explaining apple, and Pear (Pyrus) cross someplace
(easier for me right now to find (apple) Malus, and Sorbus though)
rowenberry AKA Whitebeam  (moluntain ash )(American Species )

I can dig for the found article of the OLD over 50 year old article if requested to though.

malus niedzwetzkyana

random links
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/190527/only-149-trees-wild-apple-species/
https://globaltrees.org/threatened-trees/trees/niedzwetsky-apple/

« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 08:18:48 PM by Francis_Eric »

Permienerd

• Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2022, 05:08:31 PM »
Hello my friend, i collect red flesh pears would be great if we could exchange, how is the plant going?