Author Topic: Pugging  (Read 59668 times)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Cogshall ready to pug?
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2013, 12:58:39 PM »
Thanks y'all!
This summer has been quite odd in Tennessee . . . very wet and not very hot.  A couple of nights ago, the low was 55, today the high was 75.
So my main concern from what puglvr1 mentioned is the fact that it's not likely to be very hot between now and winter. 
Still okay to pug now, do you think, or should we wait?
We'll be bringing the tree indoors to overwinter, of course.

It's probably okay to pug it now...but its hard to guess how quickly the new growths will appear ? Especially if your temps have not been as warm...it might take a little longer (its even possible the tree won't flush till next spring unless you have a lot of direct sun and warm conditions...Just a guess?

puglvr1

• View Profile
Re: Pugged My Valencia Pride Mango Tree ! .... Video Included ...Updated !
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2013, 01:03:25 PM »
Looking good Ed!!

I did that to one branch on my potted Maha and its coming along nicely too  :)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Pugged My Valencia Pride Mango Tree ! .... Video Included ...Updated !
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2013, 01:11:10 PM »
Thanks to you Pugs !
Zone 10

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Pugging
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »
Thanks y'all!
This summer has been quite odd in Tennessee . . . very wet and not very hot.  A couple of nights ago, the low was 55, today the high was 75.
So my main concern from what puglvr1 mentioned is the fact that it's not likely to be very hot between now and winter. 
Still okay to pug now, do you think, or should we wait?
We'll be bringing the tree indoors to overwinter, of course.

It's probably okay to pug it now...but its hard to guess how quickly the new growths will appear ? Especially if your temps have not been as warm...it might take a little longer (its even possible the tree won't flush till next spring unless you have a lot of direct sun and warm conditions...Just a guess?

As long as it won't harm the plant, i'm fine to do it now and wait until Spring to see the new growth.

Last question: is it necessary to re-pot it after pugging it, or can it stay put?   I guess inherent in this question is how to know when to re-pot.  I had been waiting until I saw evidence of roots in the pot drainage holes, per the folks at Excalibur, but perhaps that's too late. ..

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2013, 02:26:37 PM »
The VP that i pugged , was an active tree , so i knew it would respond to the pugging.
i have a Lancetilla that is Not as active as my VP , so i will hold off on the pugging.

Good luck to you...
Ps. i guess there is always a chance that your tree wont repond to the pugging & might die , so you have to be pre-pared for anything...

Ed..

This is how i pugged my VP.
Pruning My Valencia Pride Mango Tree.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:28:14 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2013, 03:35:51 PM »
"Last question: is it necessary to re-pot it after pugging it, or can it stay put?   I guess inherent in this question is how to know when to re-pot.  I had been waiting until I saw evidence of roots in the pot drainage holes, per the folks at" Excalibur, but perhaps that's too late. ..

I wouldn't repot it unless its outgrown its pot...roots have completely filled in the pot. I usually only repot or trim the roots every 3 years...but each plant is different.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »
I've mostly seen it done to mangoes. Basically just means pruning the tree closer to the base of the trunk than normal (though obviously not below the graft), maybe at about 2 feet or so, to encourage a lower/earlier branching habit. Can probably be done with 'most' other tropical fruit trees as well. Seems to be ideal for growing a tree in a pot but perhaps not necessary for an in ground tree; might actually be counterproductive in some instances as you might not want branches occurring that low to the ground. Named after the poster puglvr1, who practiced/s it plenty.

I would think it could be done with many trees. In pruning literature i believe it or something very like it is called pollarding and can be done all the way to the ground to make a bushy head at whatever height.
Shane

boukmn

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2013, 05:17:17 AM »
Is pugging a viable technique on other trees such as guava or avocado?  Are there trees that should never be pugged?

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2013, 09:54:51 AM »
I'm sure there are fruit trees where pugging is not recommended...I've pugged my a couple of my Citrus trees (Kumquat, dwarf Meyer lemon, Calamondin) with no problems...but I would  not pug a Lychee tree. I don't grow a lot of different varieties of fruits so I'll let the more knowledgeable members answer that question...

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2013, 12:10:26 PM »
I wold guess that any tree the doesn't like afternoon sun (substandard root system) probably isn't a good candidate for a pugging.

Young avocados would fit this category.

Guavas can take a beating and and can come back better for it.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2013, 04:45:14 PM »
I'm sure there are fruit trees where pugging is not recommended...I've pugged my a couple of my Citrus trees (Kumquat, dwarf Meyer lemon, Calamondin) with no problems...but I would  not pug a Lychee tree. I don't grow a lot of different varieties of fruits so I'll let the more knowledgeable members answer that question...

why not a lychee?

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »
I have a 2 year old Avocado seedling that i had to pug 2 times , the 1st time due to frost the 2nd time was due to lightning strike.

The trunk is 2ft tall & the tree it self is over 12ft tall !;) , thats one bad MOFO Avocado tree ;).

Good luck..Ed..
Zone 10

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »
"
why not a lychee?

Not positive exactly why but I did this to a very young potted "rescue" from bugs, neglected tree from a nursery (clearance)...the only way to get rid of the disease and all the bugs was to pug it...treated the soil but eventually
the tree died. I think it's due to Lychee being a LOT more sensitive to mango. I think they need some leaves to recover and mine had zero leaves once I got done removing all the diseased/bug infested leaves...

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »
This is an update of my pugged VP mango ;).
Its 11/03/2013 , Very nice growth & great looking new canopy..

Ed...

« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 11:01:53 AM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2013, 11:22:18 AM »
Oh my gosh - that looks terrifying!  You don't even have to keep any leaves on it?  I had to get rid of my cherimoya because it kept hitting the roof of the greenhouse, even when I pruned it. Seemed like pruning it just made it grow faster...
I will have to get up my nerve and try this the next time I have this issue (I am betting it will be with my jackfruit).  What is the best time of year to do it?  Looks like summer, from what I see.  Or just any time that it is actively growing?  I am not brave enough to try it with anything of which I only have one specimen.
Thanks!
Carolyn

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2013, 03:24:59 PM »
i have only done this with my Mangos & Avocados.
The times that i have pugged , the trees where in active growing mode.
Im not an expert , but it worked for me..

Good luck..
Ed..
Zone 10

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2013, 04:14:04 PM »
Looking GREAT Ed!! Nice job!

Carolyn, since you live in Idaho...I would wait till very late spring or early summer when your weather warms up  :D
It will grow and recover faster...

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2013, 04:30:19 PM »
Thanks!

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2013, 08:10:18 PM »
Thanks Pugs ! that VP is still active ;)..
Zone 10

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »
Ed....by the way....since no one else mentioned it, you're pugging video
was hilarious!!!!!!

Gary

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2013, 05:19:34 PM »
lol great music choice...that's the most intense single trunk pruning video I've seen
Tim

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2013, 07:40:53 AM »
Last question: is it necessary to re-pot it after pugging it, or can it stay put?   I guess inherent in this question is how to know when to re-pot.  I had been waiting until I saw evidence of roots in the pot drainage holes, per the folks at Excalibur, but perhaps that's too late. ..

I'm starting to think that if you repot it is the perfect time to pug.  Especially if you are bare rooting/trimming roots.  The roots are already being stressed and pug that occurs at the same time reduces the leaves they have to support.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2013, 07:55:27 AM »
Please explain and describe "pugging."  On which fruit trees is it practiced?

Please explain where this word "pugging" came from!  :)  Same act as topping or tipping?

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2013, 08:41:01 AM »
It comes from puglvr1 who likes to keep her plants low and bushy. It involves cutting a plant back to 18 inches or so to stimulate low branching.
I pugged all my mangos at planting as insurance against possible frost or wind damage and also to keep them moderate sized.
Pugging is only the first step in growth management and should be followed with pruning and shaping. Richard Campbell says "size control begins at planting" but he doesn't pug. He's a pruning fiend though.
Richard

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2013, 08:44:39 AM »
It comes from puglvr1 who likes to keep her plants low and bushy. It involves cutting a plant back to 18 inches or so to stimulate low branching.
I pugged all my mangos at planting as insurance against possible frost or wind damage and also to keep them moderate sized.
Pugging is only the first step in growth management and should be followed with pruning and shaping. Richard Campbell says "size control begins at planting" but he doesn't pug. He's a pruning fiend though.

It's a forum thang, got it.   ;)  Topping can be done any time, just depends on what kind of profile you want.  The earlier and shorter the plant, the more bushy it will become.