Author Topic: Eugenia reinwardtiana & star anise successful in Los Angeles County  (Read 568 times)

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
Saw a fruiting Eugenia reinwardtiana and fruiting star anise today. Both in Los Angeles County. The Eugenia tasted like a maraschino cherry (that said, it was small and most of its volume was the large seed in the center). The star anise fruit wasn't ripe but the leaves smelled great.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 05:15:12 PM by greg_D »

pagnr

• View Profile
Re: Eugenia reinwardtiana & star anise successful in Los Angeles County
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 11:30:18 PM »
Eugenia reinwardtiana, fruit can be variable from plant to plant, as well as on the same plant, and due to growing conditions.
They can be found just off the beach in full sun. Seem to be pretty tough.
Fruit there seem a little less fleshy. Sometimes plants in the shade have more fleshy fruit.
I usually collected seed from nice fruiting plants, and didn't bother with seed from thin fleshed fruit on rocky coastlines or in the dunes.
Thinking there might be tougher beach types and also forest types ?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 11:03:12 AM »
My cedar bays are tanks. No issues down to 25f outside. No greenhouse time for them anymore.

I like the fruit quality on mine but it sounds like some people get really bad ones.

Taylorhill

• SouthEast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 07:09:14 PM »
My cedar bay I got from Kevin came back from our record Feb 2021 winter here in Texas. Even a larger surinam cherry beside it died. I’ve also noticed from repotting them they don’t have huge root systems. Perfect for a container plant. Haven’t tasted them yet. I have a few so hope I get a good one!

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 09:03:07 AM »
Interesting that there is such variety to the flavor. I usually get a medium watermelon candy taste followed by some slight mango resinous taste. Sweetness would be below a black Surinam cherry but above a Barbados cherry. I got my tree from FFF.

thirdinsightdesign

• USA, Central Florida. Zone 9B-10A
    • View Profile
    • Third insight design & nursery
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 08:46:27 AM »
Saw a fruiting Eugenia reinwardtiana and fruiting star anise today. Both in Los Angeles County. The Eugenia tasted like a maraschino cherry (that said, it was small and most of its volume was the large seed in the center). The star anise fruit wasn't ripe but the leaves smelled great.

Hello Greg, would you have access to the seed or cuttings or maybe even an air layer of that Illicium verum? I have read the seed is not viable for long and plants from seed take some time to produce. I am located in Florida and would like to grow it and make seed/cuttings available locally. Thank you for your post and time!

Annie and Raleigh

TID Nursery selling rare and not so rare tropical and subtropical fruit trees and plants.

Plant list here: www.thirdinsightdesign.com

Best way to contact: thirdinsightdesign@gmail.com

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 01:31:45 PM »

Hello Greg, would you have access to the seed or cuttings or maybe even an air layer of that Illicium verum? I have read the seed is not viable for long and plants from seed take some time to produce. I am located in Florida and would like to grow it and make seed/cuttings available locally. Thank you for your post and time!

Hi! Unfortunately I don't think I would be able to get any cuttings in the near future. I can let you know if that changes though. Also I need to double check that it isn't in fact Illicium anisatum.