Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

100 gallon pot options?

(1/11) > >>

K-Rimes:

I have a happy and producing sabara jaboticaba in a 75 gallon fabric pot that will do better with an up pot and getting rid of the fabric pot. The soil dries out super fast, the edges are always dry, and it leaches a lot of water into the soil below it. It probably has oak roots coming into the bottom too... Anyways, NEVER use a fabric pot is my lesson to all of you.

There are a few options I'm considering for an up-pot:

65 gallon blow molded pot (these are $150 delivered) and dimensionally should barely work, the opening is the same width as my current pot, I may need to prune off / narrow the bottom roots to fit in fully but basically it's the exact same size. Not ideal because the tree won't really get to grow any more root mass, but it will work.

100 or even 300 gallon stock tank and drill a bunch of holes in it. The 100 gal stock tank is the same width as my pot up top but appear to be really narrow in the bottom and I'll probably need to cut off a bunch of roots to fit it into the taper, but then the plant will have some room (10 inches on either side) of fresh soil to get established in. If I get the 300 gallon tank, it will be a ton of $ for soil, the pot, and all that, but the tree will then have years of soil to grow into and will be happy probably for as long as I own it. The 100 gallon is $150, the 300 gallon is $300.

Putting it in the ground is not available to me due to being a renter, extremely high alkaline soil, and gopher pressure.

Any suggestions?

TropicalFruitHunters:
Adam keeps some of his jaboticaba containers in baby pools filled with water.  Hard to dry out that way.  Could hold off on such a huge container by doing a good root pruning.  Get a good hoist and lift that beast up and do what ya gotta do, then repot with a new trim and soil.

K-Rimes:

--- Quote from: TropicalFruitHunters on November 11, 2021, 01:47:43 PM ---Adam keeps some of his jaboticaba containers in baby pools filled with water.  Hard to dry out that way.  Could hold off on such a huge container by doing a good root pruning.  Get a good hoist and lift that beast up and do what ya gotta do, then repot with a new trim and soil.

--- End quote ---

Once it's in a plastic pot, the baby pool would work, but the fabric pots are awful for real. They get caked up with fertilizers and salts and the plant dies from the outside in. I almost lost some really nice blueberry plants from this year from that outside in die back. I do have a 45 gallon at the ready that's almost the right size...

brian:
How big is a 55gal drum cut in half?  They can be found for dirt cheap.  I don't know how big a "100 gal" pot actually is is because of the goofy trade-sizing.  Maybe you need something bigger than 27 actual-gallons.  My quick investigation shows a 55gal plastic drum as cut in half as being about 24"x18". 

K-Rimes:

--- Quote from: brian on November 11, 2021, 04:29:05 PM ---How big is a 55gal drum cut in half?  They can be found for dirt cheap.  I don't know how big a "100 gal" pot actually is is because of the goofy trade-sizing.  Maybe you need something bigger than 27 actual-gallons.  My quick investigation shows a 55gal plastic drum as cut in half as being about 24"x18".

--- End quote ---

Current pot is 32" diameter, 24" height

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version