Author Topic: Searching for fruits in SW FL  (Read 997 times)

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
Searching for fruits in SW FL
« on: July 19, 2021, 02:16:32 PM »
Looking to buy some of the best organic mangos in FT Myers/Naples area. Also interested in soursop, sugar apple. Going to go check out Pine island this weekend but any farm or market suggestions would be amazing! have been to fruitscapes, painters, and la vang before. thanks in advance!

Chronobae

• Miami, FL 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for fruits in SW FL
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 08:36:50 PM »
I know there are quite a few places in Redlands/homestead for mangos. Some of the best in the area. Not sure about the names as I've never visited but heard from a number of friends.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 09:02:08 PM »
I know there are quite a few places in Redlands/homestead for mangos. Some of the best in the area. Not sure about the names as I've never visited but heard from a number of friends.

Redlands/Homestead are SE Florida, not SW Florida.
- Rob

Finca Loco

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 09:21:07 PM »
google peaceriverorganics

Chronobae

• Miami, FL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 11:52:34 AM »

I know but he said he's going to be checking out pine island soon. So since he's going to the east coast, he might as well check out redlands/homestead

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 12:28:02 PM »

I know but he said he's going to be checking out pine island soon. So since he's going to the east coast, he might as well check out redlands/homestead
This is interesting, there is actually an Island called Pine Island on the west coast of Florida just off the coast of Cape Coral/Fort Myers.
When OP mentioned Fort Myers, most of us assumed the Pine Island he meant was the one just next door.  Perhaps if he also said Bokeelia (situated on the north end of Pine Island) that would have nailed it.

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 12:28:21 PM »
Always wondered why they are named Pine Island Nursery when Pine Island is on the west coast. Did they start there?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 12:39:24 PM »

I am pretty sure he meant Bokeelia, Pine Island, not Pine Island Nursery.
- Rob

Chronobae

• Miami, FL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 01:15:47 PM »

I am pretty sure he meant Bokeelia, Pine Island, not Pine Island Nursery.

My mistake. Didn't know about Pine Island on the west coast  ???

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 02:36:39 PM »
Pine Island is the largest island in Florida BTW.....

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 08:04:02 PM »
Always wondered why they are named Pine Island Nursery when Pine Island is on the west coast. Did they start there?

I believe its a case of two distinct places having the same name. Back when almost all of south Florida was covered in water at least part of the time, the area where Pine Island Nursery sits was high enough to have pine trees growing on it and was therefore considered an "island." Actually, any area in the Everglades that was dry enough to support trees instead of saw grass was known as an "island." The difference in elevation between wet and dry ground might only be a couple feet. So, 100 years or more later--after canals, roads, drainage, and general disturbance of the soil--the difference between the two has become a lot more blurry and its now hard to tell the difference between the two.

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 08:06:05 PM »
yeah sorry I realize the term pine island can be confusing. it isnt the most original name. Going to be on the gulf coast. Think punta gorda, ft myers, cape coral, bokeelia, naples. Dont feel like driving 3 hours to homestead and back but maybe soon. thx for the suggestions everyone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk