Author Topic: When to take plants in?  (Read 766 times)

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
When to take plants in?
« on: November 10, 2022, 03:24:09 AM »
Temps are going to be dropping this weekend in the Houston area. So I have some plants that I'm not sure can take 40F. It's above freezing, but...

First I have sugar apple and native persimmon sprouting.
I also have some young Nance that are a few months old. I have jaboticaba both big and small. There's also an ice cream bean. Oh and syzgium that are still young. A few Eugenia too.

What do you guys think?

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
Re: When to take plants in?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 05:33:45 AM »
It depends on the day and nighttime highs and lows. I'm bringing all my plants in this weekend even though I think most of them could take nighttime 35 degrees. Only thing I'm not prioritizing is citrus.

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 07:22:41 AM »
I protect all the small seedlings. Jabos with a couple of years growth will be fine as will the persimmons. D

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 12:46:17 PM »
All your young plants should be brought in. I err on the side of caution with all of my plants. Even my citrus are not allowed to experience weather below 40°F. I want my plants to grow, mature, and fruit as quickly as possible. Even if temperatures in the 30s would not kill a plant, it could cause it to go dormant. Whereas, my jaboticabas have fresh new growth flushing out even after I've moved them inside for the winter.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 06:03:15 PM »
Thank you for your thoughts. I'll take on everything questionable.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 07:43:15 PM »
All your young plants should be brought in. I err on the side of caution with all of my plants. Even my citrus are not allowed to experience weather below 40°F. I want my plants to grow, mature, and fruit as quickly as possible. Even if temperatures in the 30s would not kill a plant, it could cause it to go dormant. Whereas, my jaboticabas have fresh new growth flushing out even after I've moved them inside for the winter.
I agree, better safe than sorry

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2022, 11:59:33 AM »
A good resource for those who are a bit more tech savvy

https://github.com/zamlerd/Garden_Automation/blob/main/Plant_protectorv2.py

The script, in essence, pulls the weather from where you are on a given day and then references an excel file with a column Temp_Min and if the low for the day is below the minimum safe temperature for your plants it will print out the name (either latin or normal) and tell you to move it inside-

The major downside is you need to create and populate the excel file yourself, I have a starter file I could make available that people could start to work from

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 09:52:38 AM »
A good resource for those who are a bit more tech savvy

https://github.com/zamlerd/Garden_Automation/blob/main/Plant_protectorv2.py

The script, in essence, pulls the weather from where you are on a given day and then references an excel file with a column Temp_Min and if the low for the day is below the minimum safe temperature for your plants it will print out the name (either latin or normal) and tell you to move it inside-

The major downside is you need to create and populate the excel file yourself, I have a starter file I could make available that people could start to work from
That sounds a little more work intensive. I have my plants kind of organized by tolerance to weather already. Should really useful if you have 100 different varieties to take care of though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk