Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

HLB Virus Map

<< < (2/4) > >>

Calusa:
I found the website where Floridians can request Tamarixia parasitoids to be mailed to them.

https://www.fdacs.gov/Agriculture-Industry/Pests-and-Diseases/Plant-Pests-and-Diseases/Biological-Control/Asian-Citrus-Psyllid-Biological-Control#:~:text=Tamarixia%20radiata%20has%20been%20reported,varying%20levels%20of%20ACP%20control.

If you are not a commercial citrus grower and would like to request parasitoids for release on your property to reduce ACP populations in citrus or ornamental plantings, please fill out the Tamarixia Release Form (see link at the top). Forms will be sent automatically to FDACS ACP biocontrol project coordinators. Your information is kept confidential. Supplies of T. radiata are limited, but program staff will respond to all inquiries and send wasps to as many requesters as possible. Tamarixia radiata will be shipped overnight at no cost with instructions for releasing the insects, which is fun and easy and is extremely important for protecting our citrus industry.

bussone:
It's worth noting that many citrus relatives can also host HLB/psyllids, including atalantia/severinia, murraya (box orange), and zanthoxylum (hercules club, prickly ash, szechuan/sancho/sansho peppercorn).

That zanthoxylum is in the list suggests there may not be a useful northern limit to HLB, because zanthoxylum is present into Ontario. It's hardier than poncirus.

FruitGrower:

--- Quote from: Calusa on December 09, 2022, 01:03:20 PM ---I plugged in my address (St Petersburg, Fla) and it shows me in a green circle with the message: You are more than 5 miles from an HLB detection (colored boxes).

I guess the means that my citrus trees are relatively safe for now? I thought surely I would be in a hot zone.

--- End quote ---

Out of curiosity I plugged in my location and got the same message. I know for sure HLB is in my area as I have lost over a dozen trees to it, so I would be careful coming to the conclusion that your citrus is safe, just from that info.

Calusa:

--- Quote from: FruitGrower on December 09, 2022, 02:56:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: Calusa on December 09, 2022, 01:03:20 PM ---I plugged in my address (St Petersburg, Fla) and it shows me in a green circle with the message: You are more than 5 miles from an HLB detection (colored boxes).

I guess the means that my citrus trees are relatively safe for now? I thought surely I would be in a hot zone.

--- End quote ---

Out of curiosity I plugged in my location and got the same message. I know for sure HLB is in my area as I have lost over a dozen trees to it, so I would be careful coming to the conclusion that your citrus is safe, just from that info.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for checking. I would like to see some other Floridians chime in with their results.

Incidentally, I received an email from a UF biologist letting me know the little wasps are being overnighted to me next Tuesday.

FruitGrower:

--- Quote from: Calusa on December 09, 2022, 07:56:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: FruitGrower on December 09, 2022, 02:56:31 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Thanks for checking. I would like to see some other Floridians chime in with their results.

Incidentally, I received an email from a UF biologist letting me know the little wasps are being overnighted to me next Tuesday.

--- End quote ---

I tried the wasps, they were gone almost immediately and did nothing to stop the greening. The only method I’ve found effective is growing under a protective screen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version