Author Topic: Gibberelic Acid for Annona  (Read 4861 times)

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Gibberelic Acid for Annona
« on: March 05, 2014, 05:56:44 PM »
I have seen some endorsing GA for annona seeds & others saying that they are only required for a few tough species.  I have a bin full of Annona seeds (baggies in moist sphagnum) where most have had zero germination and a couple have germinated 2-4 seeds out of a dozen or more seeds.  Many of these have been sitting there for 6 months or more.

I am thinking of trying GA on them (even if some are not noted for being difficult) -- what do I have to loose at this point?  Anyone see any issue with trying something in the 400-600 ppm range?  Recommendations for time for the soak?  I am thinking of also throwing them in some hydrogen peroxide for maybe 5 minutes prior to going in the GA, just to sanitize them a little.

The species I am waiting on include:
cornifolia
diversifolia (also given cold stratification as someone recommended)
pupurea
reticulata (2 different selections)
squamosa (2 different green clones, Kampong mauve, Govardhan purple)
spraguei

I have started atemoya & soursop from seed in the past directly in nursery cells with good success but I am having horrible success using plastic baggies.

Thanks for any advice,
John
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:04:57 PM by HIfarm »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Gibberllic Acid for Annona
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »
I can only comment on three of the mentioned species.  I have had no problem with squamosa and reticulata,  Diversifolia has never been successfully germinated by me.  However, I have never tried GA, but hear that it will get you the diversifolia germination you seek. Like you atemoya and muricata have also been easy to germinate.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:33:42 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 06:27:44 PM »
I think only diversifolila, purpurea, and spraguei really need the GA. I would say use 500 ppm for 5 minute soak. I think dipping hydrogen peroxide first is a good idea, although i've never done that.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 06:44:18 PM »
I've heard the trick to germinating the illama, is to let the seeds sit out dry, for about 6months before planting...have you tried this ever?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 07:02:08 PM »
I got seeds from Luc a year ago of diversifolia.  I planted 12 directly into potting soil and none germinated. I put 12 in 250 ppm for 24 hours.  11 out of 12 germinated.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:01:32 PM by cbss_daviefl »
Brandon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 07:58:28 PM »
I have soaked older Cherimoya seeds before in hydrogen peroxide for a few hours then into G.A-3 over night with a 60% take. With 600% with G.A.-3
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:00:00 PM by ScottR »

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 08:39:46 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Sounds like I might be on the right track -- nothing to lose if they are not germinating anyway.  Adam - I have not tried the drying method.  Someone suggested a chill (I don't recall who but I think they said they had heard it from Oscar).  I put them in the frig for about 1 1/2 mo., if I recall correctly -- probably been sitting in the seed bin for 6 mos. or so doing nothing.

John

HIfarm

• View Profile
Re: Gibberelic Acid for Annona
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 11:16:26 PM »
I'm starting to see results with a couple of these -- a couple of sprouts for one of my reticulata and a few for one of the squamosa.  I have my fingers crossed about the others.  I think I am going to make this my standard operating procedure for all Annona's, regardless of whether they are supposed to be hard or easy.  Anyone see a downside to using GA on seeds? 

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 11:37:48 PM »
Just remember that on Annona senegalensis, the adult plants are sickly gangly spindly & succumb to wind & cold damage & death when using GA for induce germination.  With baggies i use the cheapest sandwich type with the thin thickness. Those ziplock film to thick not enough oxygen get through.  Best bag is same one the aquarium reef store used to send lives fish; it allows more oxygen through bag but its water tight.
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • Russia, Saint-Petersburg, warmhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 02:19:03 AM »
Just remember that on Annona senegalensis, the adult plants are sickly gangly spindly & succumb to wind & cold damage & death when using GA for induce germination.  With baggies i use the cheapest sandwich type with the thin thickness. Those ziplock film to thick not enough oxygen get through.  Best bag is same one the aquarium reef store used to send lives fish; it allows more oxygen through bag but its water tight.

My 4 Ilamas (age- almost a year) was germinated with GA3. They grow most weak and vulnerable to disease among all my annonas (many plants of more then 15 species).

I totally agree with Oscar: only small concentrations and for short periods of soaking. Squamosa, cherimola, reticulata, Atemoya not require GA3. Best is the enemy of the good! :)

By the way, I met a couple of times a messages that A. cornifolia does not germinate quickly even with GA3!

My opinion: in some species, the seeds ripen much later than fruit. Therefore they require a preliminary stratification (in nature - for passing bad weather periods) including final maturation. If so, maybe we need to keep the seeds in the soil mix prevents rotting (sand, ash, peat moss, perlite, pine mulch, etc.) and after 2-3 monthes (or more, depending of species) begin to germinate with the addition of normal soil?

John,
You asked: "Anyone see a downside to using GA on seeds?"
I propose to ask the question: anyone grows successfully (more than three years, normal development, disease resistance, flowering, fruiting, etc.) Annonas sprouted with GA3?
YES WE SCAN NEW TROPICAL FRUITS

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 05:21:04 AM »
We have been through this before in another thread. For reticulata, atemoya, soursop or squamosa don't use GA. You really do need GA with ilamas and the peroxide beforehand doesn't make much difference to the rates or fungi. I had 40 ilama seeds treated in all different ways and what worked best was 600ppm GA3 for 20 hrs and almost 100% germination occurred. Fridge treatment, scratching the seed coat and other treatments did not work at all. Short dunks in the GA also didn't work. Only one came up untreated with GA.
The dozen or so plants were etoliated at first and came good. They thickened and became normal after a couple of months. I am about to plant my fourth ilama in the yard and they are all in great shape. I gave the rest away.

I would say use GA3 on maybe a few of the toughest species to germinate at around 600ppm for about 10 to 24 hrs.Then put in a bag with medium or plant direct in the pots.

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • Russia, Saint-Petersburg, warmhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 07:48:22 AM »
Mike,
thanks for useful experimental data!
Now I would hope that my Ilamas will come to normal.

About A. purpurea: In October, I planted 8 seed by the "TradeWindSeeds" (obviously dried),
then in November 8 seed by Luc (clearly fresh), both without GA3. 
In February-March 3 seed by luc germinated, by "TradeWind..." - null, and half rotted.
Looks like dried A. purpurea seeds need GA3.
YES WE SCAN NEW TROPICAL FRUITS

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 04:36:46 PM »
The long-ago published recommended rate of GA for Ilamas is 350 parts per million.  Higher rates produce deformities and weak, stretched up plants.  Start with well dried, stored seeds (6-10 months @ room temperature).  Soak 24-hours plus in warm water (such as in sun) with the GA.
Har

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 05:48:16 PM »
Recommendations I have seen are often in the range of 500 to 1000ppm and 12 to 24 hrs. After looking at a range of suggestions I went for a modest concentration and time for the bulk of ilama seeds and it worked. The initial etloiation made me think I had it wrong but there was a correction in time.The seeds I used were fresh...that is less than a month out of the fruit.The only bayberry I had germinate was a fresh one treated with GA3 and all the other treatments and refridgeration treatments didn't work.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »
I have a silly little experiment I'm conducting...with germinating illama seeds....

I've heard it's best to let them sit out for a few months before planting....I think around 6 months or more is recommended....

but i took some fresh seeds....and soaked them in Coca-Cola (Mexican) for about 14 hours....i made sure they were completely submerged, because they wanted to float.

after they soaked in the coke, I noticed there was a slight discoloration (brown stain) on some of the seeds....

after soaking, I immediately planted them.

It would be interesting if somehow the Coke's ingredients (mainly phosphoric acid) helped breakdown the seed coat, and increased germination rate.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 12:42:10 PM »
Wise! please report about the coca-cola effect...
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

Filozophr

• Royal Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2022, 08:39:13 AM »
I have a silly little experiment I'm conducting...with germinating illama seeds....

I've heard it's best to let them sit out for a few months before planting....I think around 6 months or more is recommended....

but i took some fresh seeds....and soaked them in Coca-Cola (Mexican) for about 14 hours....i made sure they were completely submerged, because they wanted to float.

after they soaked in the coke, I noticed there was a slight discoloration (brown stain) on some of the seeds....

after soaking, I immediately planted them.

It would be interesting if somehow the Coke's ingredients (mainly phosphoric acid) helped breakdown the seed coat, and increased germination rate.

updates?
Feel free to pm me if you have any ANNONACEAE for sale‼️

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2022, 11:44:29 AM »
I got few Ilama seeds germinated within two to three weeks by soaking them in 300ppm solution for 24 hrs after dissolving GA powder with tiny amount of hydrogen peroxide.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 06:45:22 PM »
Had 80% germination of a. diversifolia without any hormone treatment.
Used a big clear plastic box as a hot house in 70% shade, about 99% on hygrometer and aproximetly 20C Night max - 35C Day max.
Germinated within 20 days.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

digigarden

• digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 06:52:58 PM »
I got few Ilama seeds germinated within two to three weeks by soaking them in 300ppm solution for 24 hrs after dissolving GA powder with tiny amount of hydrogen peroxide.

how long did it take to dissolve the GA powder? i just got myself 95% alcohol to dissolve it.

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2022, 02:08:10 AM »
No more than two to three minutes just mix it well, you will know when it’s dissolved then add water

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 08:06:31 PM »
I got seeds from Luc a year ago of diversifolia.  I planted 12 directly into potting soil and none germinated. I put 12 in 250 ppm for 24 hours.  11 out of 12 germinated.
I soaked mango seeds in 250 ppm for few hours hoping they will grow faster along with bigger spacing between internodes. 

Well, after germinated and a couple set of leaves became harden, the underside of the leaves secreted sticky honey dew like liquid. Later, they  black spotty mold like. 

Did you have these experience with your annona seeds soaked with GA?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk