Author Topic: Not enough Durian Discussion  (Read 54268 times)

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
Not enough Durian Discussion
« on: March 18, 2021, 12:07:49 AM »
This is the tropical fruit forum and the Durian is undisputed KING, i see very little discussion on Durian and much discussion on mangoes (2nd rate fruit).  Who are growing durians out there? What is your favourite?  Are kampung Durian worth growing to you or will you only grow clones?  How difficult are Durian to grow in your area?

We have great trouble accessing clones here, my observations with seedlings is that they are very very easy to get started and appear quite hardy to me.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Not enough Durian Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 01:17:00 AM »
A big part of that is because only a small proportion of members live in places where durian can grow. Mangoes on the other hand grow in much cooler areas at higher latitudes well outside the tropics and a high proportion of members can grow mangoes. Mango fatigue is something a few other tropical members have commented on also.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 01:32:07 AM »
Hi Mike yeh i realise most of the members are from south florida so Im kinda giving the yanks a bit of a ribbing about the mangoes (although they are 2nd rate compared to durian!!!)  Maybe we need an ultra tropical sub section.  I reckon peter salleras could get red prawn to fruit in florida though.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 09:16:29 AM »
Florida might not have many areas with the right soils, warm enough winters and high rainfall and heavy persistent humidity that durians like. I think there are only a few possibilities for more cold tolerant varieties and species worthy of a trial and these have been discussed in past threads.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 09:22:00 AM »
According to youtube video comments Jackfruit is King over Durian but then I suspect the reason being many have yet to try Durian or a Excellent variety of Durian that would make them rate it higher.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 09:22:25 AM »
Hi Mike yeh i realise most of the members are from south florida so Im kinda giving the yanks a bit of a ribbing about the mangoes (although they are 2nd rate compared to durian!!!)  Maybe we need an ultra tropical sub section.  I reckon peter salleras could get red prawn to fruit in florida though.

Once I can locate a Red Prawn then it's game on... same with the most cold tolerant varieties. Curious about Arancillo...

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 09:29:42 AM »
In Costa Rica there exists a lot of interest in durians. Last year total I planted around 600 durian seeds for grafting. Most of the interest is in grafted trees. They’re available but with very limited selection. We also plant select seeds to try and generate new, locally selected varieties. It’s a slow, multigenerational project!  But we’re into it.
I’ve done two trips to Malaysia in the last 3 years doing farm stays at durian farms, absorbing what I can.
Here, people will drive 6 hours or more to get durian, rent houses nearby for the season. It’s motivational and we’re convinced it’s the future for small fruit farmers in this area.
Peter

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 09:31:51 AM »
In this area jackfruit gets only half the price of champedek or terap. The next best fruit to have for sale at the moment is mangosteen.

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Self Sufficiency
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 03:17:49 PM »

i like that idea for an ultra tropical sub. id spend a lot more time on this site if there was a way to filter. its easier to just spend time on hawaii tropical fruit growers facebook. where everyone has the same playing ground   

im planting 4 acres of durian here in hawaii. got a couple grafts but mostly focusing on seedling genetics. its gonna be fun! durian is the undeniable king   

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 03:40:10 PM »
Four acres is pret. good size really. Lots of commercial durian farms in Malaysia are about that size and they are doing pretty well.
Fortunately durian is easy to top work and thus very agile. Superior material can easily be used to convert trees that don’t show a lot of promise. I think 2-3 years to be back in production at a commercial level. This last year I’ve planted 15 select seedlings from Penang, hoping for something fantastic!
I have 3 trees older than 25 years in production. From those 3 I harvested 600kg the last season!
Peter

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 03:56:13 PM »
Finca,

I am hoping that you will succeed and do well.  It would be much easier to come to Costa Rica to try out durians than to travel to Malaysia for me.  I love how you appreciate that it's a generational project.  Keep up the good work.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 04:16:27 PM »
Very sad that Panoramic fruit farm get the impact of Maria Hurricane. In 2017 summer the farm get a profit of $20,000 and was the beginning. They had over 200 trees ,now about 5 survived. The only fruit that they export now is mangosteen. Resilient tree.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 05:49:55 PM »
For some reason I though the durian trees at Panoramic did ok. This is very sad.

I have a potted durian tree that is 7 ft tall that is from a seed collected at Panoramic Farms in 2017. It is growing under shade cloth but otherwise unprotected. It has been 40F a few mornings this year. The temperature does not seem to bother it. My neglect has been the only thing holding it back. I didn't expect it to survive and did not fertilize it once in 3.5 years. It is a survivor so I am giving it better care now. I think I have the humidity and rainfall. My soil, being alkaline, and phytophthora would be additional challenges beyond temperature. I would love to try to grow an air-layered or grafted tree which I might get lucky and keep that alive long enough to fruit. I don't think a seedling has a snowball's chance here if they take 12+ years to fruit.

Very sad that Panoramic fruit farm get the impact of Maria Hurricane. In 2017 summer the farm get a profit of $20,000 and was the beginning. They had over 200 trees ,now about 5 survived. The only fruit that they export now is mangosteen. Resilient tree.
Brandon

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 07:05:20 PM »
Peter Salleras addressed the question on how he would grow durian in florida when asked by durian writer (lindsay gasik), PH would need to be adjusted down into the 6 range which im guessing would involve a fair bit of work, he would trellis them as florida is prone to hurricanes as is QLD where he grows, he would then utilise covered cropping over the winter and go with a variety such as red prawn, durio macrantha which tested best in cold.

Spencerw like you im going to grow a few grafted varieties and then a bunch of seedlings and see what i get.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 09:57:14 PM »
I wish I can have durian in Florida and be able to participate in durian discussion
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2021, 04:28:04 AM »
This is territory that has been worked over before. One of these decades a Floridian in the right spot will trial the prime contenders like red prawn, D.kinabaluensis, D,macrantha, lomg and lin Laplae and a couple of others that show some cold tolerance. These are all hard to get types and I have no doubt a few would succeed in Florida with the right preparation and barring calamities.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2021, 01:11:16 PM »
Many things can be accomplished in agriculture. 
But it’s interesting that the areas in Asia where durian has been cultivated traditionally are mostly outside of the hurricane/cyclone belt.  The furthest north that I know of where durians are being grown successfully in Central America is at about 15 degrees in Guatemala.  Although Central America would appear suitable for durian, and it can be, there are many areas with a strong dry season and overwhelming dry winds.  Jakfruit, mangoes, etc. do fine there but not durian, mangosteen, etc.
Durian could probably be grown in Southern Mexico but I’ve not heard of it.

A large beautiful durian tree loaded with fruit is a wonderous sight.  I don’t think I’m ready to see the industrialized cable infrastructure with the poor durian branches strapped to it....
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2021, 05:11:32 PM »
The main durian growing area in Australia is between the latitudes of 16s to 19s and that is in cyclone alley. Hawaii although maritime/trade wind littoral in its climate is in the 20sn latitude. We are talking about the varieties that can stretch it further.There is a wide variety of cold tolerances in durian varieties probably reflecting the genetic diversity. While durians are of equatorial origin and the maritime continent might not have a new world equivalent in terms of heat generation, Florida is not out of the question.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2021, 05:31:45 PM »

Orlando, Florida. zone push?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2021, 05:42:24 PM »
I think that picture is from southeast Florida, not Orlando. Orlando is central Florida and would require a freeze tolerant durian.

Orlando, Florida. zone push?
Brandon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2021, 06:14:37 PM »
This is the tropical fruit forum....i see very little discussion on Durian and much discussion on mangoes (2nd rate fruit).

Once normal travel resumes, a trip to Florida will cure this problem.

With that said, I’ve had Penang, Borneo, Singapore Durian and I absolutely crushed them. They give mango a run for their money...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 06:19:59 PM by Future »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2021, 06:16:56 PM »
Would or does the processing required for export effect the quality of Durian.
Is there a dwarf variety of Durian that would be suitable for intensive farming
Is the band Durian Durian from Australia.Lol
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 06:41:45 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2021, 07:20:00 PM »
This is territory that has been worked over before. One of these decades a Floridian in the right spot will trial the prime contenders like red prawn, D.kinabaluensis, D,macrantha, lomg and lin Laplae and a couple of others that show some cold tolerance. These are all hard to get types and I have no doubt a few would succeed in Florida with the right preparation and barring calamities.

We feel we have the ability but cannot locate a cold tolerant variety, looking for Red Prawn first and foremost. Do you have any knowledge of the cultivar known as Arancillo Mike?

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 09:59:41 PM »
Would or does the processing required for export effect the quality of Durian.
Is there a dwarf variety of Durian that would be suitable for intensive farming
Is the band Durian Durian from Australia.Lol

Durio macrantha supposedly produces much smaller trees that proved far more cyclone resistant on zappalas farm in bellenden ker qld.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 10:09:15 PM »
Yeah macrantha is smaller and handles cyclones better. Arancillo is a philipine favourite which was derived from monthong I believe. I haven't seen any around here and wonder why they havent been in the mainstream considering the positive reviews they get.