Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183109 times)

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #600 on: May 01, 2019, 02:18:21 PM »
What happened to using simple lime whitewash on the trunks where sunburn is a danger?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 01, 2019, 02:30:45 PM »
I dont know about lime but white latex paint/water 50/50 makes a better sunblock for bark than surround IMO. 

A fine dusting of surround on the foliage during a 105F+ heatwave makes sense to me.  Less than that, ai wouldnt bother. 

I may use a fine coat of surround on my watermelon plants this year to keep ants and aphids off them.  Problem is how to coat the undersides of the leaves.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 01, 2019, 02:34:09 PM »
Wise suggestions Brad.  I'll try and take is slow and perform "micro-coats", particularly on the branches, doing my best to limit  exposure on the leaves (if that's possible).  Here are some updated pics of my front-yard trees (2 of 3).  One of the three seems to be recovering and pushing out new growth (last set of pics), however the first two are still struggling.  I've no sense of new growth, and one has very yellow limbs showing.  :(

If you just transplanted them, its probably going to take some time for them to adjust and get established in their new spots.  I would just wait, this heat will make them grow.
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 01, 2019, 03:25:28 PM »
When you want to offload some if that surround let me know. ;) Brad sent me some and I'll try it once summer rolls around but right now my trees are growing like weeds. That initial 90+ weather seemed to shock them but this week they've exploded.

Let me know how it works on melons brad.
-Kris

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 01, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »
Sure Kris.  I just purchased two bags to help with shipping.  If you want to split the price, you're welcome to one of the 25lb bags.  It would be nice to meet you and visit sometime.  You ever get into placer county?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 01, 2019, 05:11:40 PM »
I dont know about lime but white latex paint/water 50/50 makes a better sunblock for bark than surround IMO. 

A fine dusting of surround on the foliage during a 105F+ heatwave makes sense to me.  Less than that, ai wouldnt bother. 

I may use a fine coat of surround on my watermelon plants this year to keep ants and aphids off them.  Problem is how to coat the undersides of the leaves.

I find it covers and sticks well to avocado branches and leaves at a rate of about 1 - 2 TB. per qt.   
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:16:36 PM by Mark in Texas »

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 01, 2019, 05:24:40 PM »
Sure Kris.  I just purchased two bags to help with shipping.  If you want to split the price, you're welcome to one of the 25lb bags.  It would be nice to meet you and visit sometime.  You ever get into placer county?
Yuba is a farm town,
Any real shopping is done in roseville. My family is also up in auburn so I frequent your area alot.
-Kris

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 01, 2019, 05:39:39 PM »
Great.  PM me before one of these weekends.  If the weather is good, chances are I'll be out in the yard working the "field."

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 01, 2019, 10:59:57 PM »

I find it covers and sticks well to avocado branches and leaves at a rate of about 1 - 2 TB. per qt.   

At that rate I will never be able to finish 1 bag of surround, lol. Can it be applied with a brush as thick coat like paint on trunks without harming the trees?

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 02, 2019, 12:28:26 AM »
That's not a bad idea (the surround painting idea).  I tried to spray my front-yard trees with surgical application, but it ended up getting everywhere and on everything within 10 feet.  It looks pretty terrible (especially all over the wood-chips), so I'm thinking about washing it away (if that works).  I think I would have been better off just painting the trees as originally suggested.  I do see how this stuff could work well in a situation where aesthetics were of no concern.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 02, 2019, 07:37:03 AM »
If you want to use a brush then go with a thinned white latex paint.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 03, 2019, 10:53:00 PM »
It does wash off.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 04, 2019, 07:22:19 AM »

;D

I really like permethrin, use the Tenguard brand.  Sounds like an oxymoron but it's very low toxicity with a terrific knock down. Tough to kill grasshoppers will be on the ground dead in a minute after being hit with it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 07:27:20 AM by Mark in Texas »

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 07, 2019, 02:05:29 PM »
Does anyone know what kind of bugs or pest is chewing the leaves on my sir prize?  below is the picture.  :-\

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 07, 2019, 02:19:51 PM »
Could be catipillars, grasshoppers, beetles,...  Usually you can look around and find the culprit.
Brad Spaugh

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: May 07, 2019, 02:28:05 PM »
is there a bug spray for this or manually squash them?

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 08, 2019, 12:27:49 AM »
is there a bug spray for this or manually squash them?

I recommend you do some nighttime recon.

Lory

• Cebu-Philippines 10° N
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 09, 2019, 04:18:30 PM »
Yes, FIRST get to know your ennemy.....
Lorenzo

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 10, 2019, 10:13:53 AM »
Grafted Frankencado continues to explode in growth, as does the sprawling volunteer tomato.  Sharwil, Lamb Hass, Pinkerton.

Finally some pollinators like this small dragon fly.

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 10, 2019, 02:20:23 PM »
Lovely pic Mark.  Question, do you see heavy leaf drop in the Spring (or after post-winter seasonal warming) on your Avocado trees?  My outdoor trees seem to drop nearly 100% of their leaves over several months going into the Spring/Summer.  If they're happy, the put on new leaves and branching shoots to replace those, but there's a good period of time where the trees are brought down to a skeleton of itself.  Scary on a number of levels.

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 10, 2019, 02:29:20 PM »
My Hass dropped like 90% of it's leaves.

Stewart, Mexicola, Holiday all seem ok.
-Kris

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 10, 2019, 05:50:07 PM »
Look on the underside of the dropping leaves between the veins to see if you have Persea mites.  Otherwise just the usual salt burned leaves falling off to be replaced with this year's leaves.  Check back in July and all should be well.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 10, 2019, 06:04:32 PM »
Lovely pic Mark.  Question, do you see heavy leaf drop in the Spring (or after post-winter seasonal warming) on your Avocado trees?  My outdoor trees seem to drop nearly 100% of their leaves over several months going into the Spring/Summer.  If they're happy, the put on new leaves and branching shoots to replace those, but there's a good period of time where the trees are brought down to a skeleton of itself.  Scary on a number of levels.

Yep, it's happening right now but new leaves have been coming on for months.  New first, versus new later, may be variety driven.  My Reed is getting ready to dump big time.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 10, 2019, 06:09:28 PM »

Yep, it's happening right now but new leaves have been coming on for months.  New first, versus new later, may be variety driven.  My Reed is getting ready to dump big time.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 10, 2019, 10:44:20 PM »
Seems like the leaf drop question keeps getting asked.  Yeah its normal this time of year.  We talked about it May of last year in this same thread.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 10:57:04 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh