Author Topic: Cold hearty tropicals  (Read 1956 times)

Acetogenin

• USA, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
Cold hearty tropicals
« on: May 21, 2020, 12:53:59 PM »
Hello
 Live in 9b/9a (north central Fl) and trying to figure out what I still NEED to buy.  For other people, perhaps my list will help give some ideas. 

So far I have:
White sapote (younghan/redland)
Jaboticaba (red, black, grimal, yellow, white, phithratra, oblangata and many of the rarer varieties)
Figs
Feijoa
Banana cultivars (blue)
Lychees
Dream annona
Prolific mango varieties that might recover after a cold hit (VP, super julie, etc)
E calycinia/involucrata
E dasyblasta
E reinwardtiana
Malphigia glabra
Zills dark suriname

What else is needed for occasional dips to mid 20's.  do not wish to move things indoors
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:00:38 PM by Acetogenin »

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Cold hearty tropicals
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 01:29:10 PM »
cattley guavas should be ok, passiflora edulis, lucuma (if you can find it), avocados, loquat, longan

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 02:05:38 PM »
You should add some peaches, and maybe also Keitt or Kent mango.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 03:35:28 PM »
Sub Tropicals

TSmith

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 04:01:59 PM »
Hello
 Live in 9b/9a (north central Fl) and trying to figure out what I still NEED to buy.  For other people, perhaps my list will help give some ideas. 

So far I have:
White sapote (younghan/redland)
Jaboticaba (red, black, grimal, yellow, white, phithratra, oblangata and many of the rarer varieties)
Figs
Feijoa
Banana cultivars (blue)
Lychees
Dream annona
Prolific mango varieties that might recover after a cold hit (VP, super julie, etc)
E calycinia/involucrata
E dasyblasta
E reinwardtiana
Malphigia glabra
Zills dark suriname

What else is needed for occasional dips to mid 20's.  do not wish to move things indoors

Hahaha, Looks like we have a very similar list. I didn't see mulberries on your list but I feel they are a must have and they hold up so well. There are so many delicious varieties. I specifically love the Jaboticaba's and pitangatubas.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 08:59:10 PM »
Try the Sweetie Pie thronless blackberries a sprawling variety very sweet and very low chill, they fruited this year in zone 10B.
http://extension.msstate.edu/news/southern-gardening/2019/choose-excellent-sweetie-pie-blackberry-for-mississippi

Acetogenin

• USA, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 11:47:59 PM »
cattley guavas should be ok, passiflora edulis, lucuma (if you can find it), avocados, loquat, longan

just like that, I am now a lucuma grower.  glad i asked this question, would have never known.  will look into others too

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 01:37:59 AM »

just like that, I am now a lucuma grower.  glad i asked this question, would have never known.  will look into others too

Also canistel, green sapote and others but they are less cold hardy than lucuma. If your mangoes survive then canistel and green sapote should survive too. I am also growing syzygium jambos but i am not sure its that cold hardy (this year it will be its first winter)

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 08:46:33 AM »
If we get a cold winter like we did a couple years back, your dream Annona isn't going to make it without a source of heat. All my annonas bar the mountain Annona died. The mountain I thought died too and I pulled it and planted something else. Came back from deployment and apparently they have the ability to come back from just a section of root and I now have two trees in that spot.

I am also in east Orange county. In the city you guys stay a bit warmer than us so you might be ok.

No avocado on your list? If you can grow mango, you can grow avocado, especially if you don't have a deer issue.
I second the peach idea.
Figs, if you are on native soil, don't grow them in the ground.
My longon never grew, I think we were two cold.
Wax Jambu- I have had fruit on mine. I have it right up against a woods line and don't protect it during the winter.
Ice Cream Bean- grows great here and makes for a great chop and drop tree.

Acetogenin

• USA, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 10:38:50 AM »
If we get a cold winter like we did a couple years back, your dream Annona isn't going to make it without a source of heat. All my annonas bar the mountain Annona died. The mountain I thought died too and I pulled it and planted something else. Came back from deployment and apparently they have the ability to come back from just a section of root and I now have two trees in that spot.

I am also in east Orange county. In the city you guys stay a bit warmer than us so you might be ok.

No avocado on your list? If you can grow mango, you can grow avocado, especially if you don't have a deer issue.
I second the peach idea.
Figs, if you are on native soil, don't grow them in the ground.
My longon never grew, I think we were two cold.
Wax Jambu- I have had fruit on mine. I have it right up against a woods line and don't protect it during the winter.
Ice Cream Bean- grows great here and makes for a great chop and drop tree.

Ah damn, I will be a little higher in seminole.  Definitely concerning about the annonas as the rare ones have been hardest to acquire.  I will probably go through effort of moving to garage for those (although I want to limit how many i have to do that with).  For mangos I know 2 different guys with success in Lake Mary and Deltona who have huge mature mangos.  General strategy seems to be protect until trunk wide (~5 years) then plant in ground and let it go.  Also can mulch the hell out of base.  Im going to go w/ VP, super julie, sweet tart, dot, and other proven vigorous sp for when they do take that hit and die to trunk can recooperate.

Yes definitely will have to add was jambu and ice cream bean.  Both seem like good contenders for cold.  Planning to only grow the figs in pots to avoid nematode.  If i do get any ill just clone the original tree.  Avocados I will look into, but some of the non-hass ones I’ve had in past I havent enjoyed much.  Maybe I havent had right ones.  (Don’t like that subtle sweet taste in avocado)

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 10:45:31 AM »
Jujube, persimmon, Rangpur lime, carambola, Surinam Cherry,  Muscadine Grape, nopales all take a little 9b winter.

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 11:28:34 AM »
If you want a rarer one, you could try Kwai Muk, i'm pretty sure that tree can survive down to a light frost.

Vigo Carpathian

• USA, California, Livermore, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 12:28:25 AM »
I second jujube. Great tree and easy to grow (the Li variety is self fertile and fruits like crazy). Let them shrivel up and you will have a fantistic treat.
Some more to add to the list are:
Passionfruit
Loquat
Pomegranate
Avocado
Cattley guava
Jaboticaba
Mulberry
Cherry of the rio grande
Ugni

PersephonesChild

• Bakersfield, California: Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 03:09:16 AM »
I'm in 9b in Cali, and Pineapple Guava do fine here; people plant them as ornamentals (and don't seem to realize the fruits are edible).

My barbados cherry has done well here outside; it's potted, and lives on my front porch where it's slightly protected. I've got a few young tamarind trees potted up on the porch too that survived winter, though they're going to require some dedication to pruning to keep them patio-size as they mature.
Cheers-
Cris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk