Author Topic: Durian stall in Singapore  (Read 6622 times)

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Durian stall in Singapore
« on: January 30, 2013, 07:01:59 AM »
During my last visit in Singapore I found this durian stall
The most of the durian were of the D24 variety and small sized.

and one for me. What a taste!  :) 8)

Mike

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: Durian stall in Singapore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 12:55:17 PM »
is that D24 pictured opened? The flesh looks really white and creamy, delicious!

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »
Yes it is a D24. You just said creamy and delicious!. King of the fruits=fruit from heaven :)
If you try once the addiction is the consequence. The problem with the durians is you can't eat to much at once :(
The small one in the pictures I had to eat because I couldn't take it with me home.
Mike

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:18:56 PM »
That must have smelled awesome! No trouble finding that stand for sure!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:32:58 PM »
Almost all the durians in Singapore are imported. If you ever manage to make it to the source: Thailand or Malaysia, you can eat them a lot fresher. Glad the one you got was a good one!
Oscar

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 01:53:38 AM »
Patrick: Not easy to locate the market because it was my first visit in Singapore and I had to find the right transport medium. Singapore is huge. When I was there my nose sniffed the smell of the durian.  ;) It worked like a radar. :)
Oscar: I didn't ask the seller if the durians were imported, it was really fresh. Awesome.
More fresh durian from the source follow ;). The story goes on!
Mike

durai

• DURAI
  • MALAYSIA
    • Johor Bahru, MALAYSIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 03:49:01 AM »
Yes,  those durians in Singapore are from Malaysia.  I live in the southern tip of Peninsula Malaysia.
It is just half and hour away from Singapore.  During the durian season I use to see tons of them
being transported into Singapore.  Since it is so close by, the durians you get in Singapore should
be as fresh as the ones from Malaysia.  The D24 is the most popular one produced commercially.
The season comes twice a year.  We purchase and consume durians every season.
Durai

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »
Almost all the durians in Singapore are imported. If you ever manage to make it to the source: Thailand or Malaysia, you can eat them a lot fresher. Glad the one you got was a good one!

Don't know about Thailand, but respectfully disagree on "a lot fresher durians" in Malaysia. Singaporean durian sellers have very efficient system worked out. Most suppliers 2-8 hours drive away from Singapore. Durians picked up early morning, and by the afternoon or evening they are already being sold in Singapore. Malaysian stalls don't usually restock or start selling until afternoon or evening. It's really the same thing. Maybe few hours difference on some shipments.  Some Malaysian complain that Singaporeans get only very best selected durians of each cultivar. In fact, you may have to go to Singapore if you want to eat the very best durians from a durian stall. Of course if you are visiting durian farm than it is different story.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »
Patrick: Not easy to locate the market because it was my first visit in Singapore and I had to find the right transport medium. Singapore is huge. When I was there my nose sniffed the smell of the durian.  ;) It worked like a radar. :)
Oscar: I didn't ask the seller if the durians were imported, it was really fresh. Awesome.

Next time in Singapore get off at Aljunied MRT station walk straight for about 200 meters and turn right on Sims Avenue. After few minutes there will be biggest concentration of durian stalls in Singapore.

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »

Next time in Singapore get off at Aljunied MRT station walk straight for about 200 meters and turn right on Sims Avenue. After few minutes there will be biggest concentration of durian stalls in Singapore.

Nooo! Don't do that, Geylang is famous for where all the durian crooks hang out. They'll try to sell you a bad durian. You have to stay on your toes and it's no fun at all. Some of the worst durian I've ever had came from Sims Avenue.

Here's my guide to durian stalls in Singapore: http://www.yearofthedurian.com/2012/08/singapore-durian-guide.html . There's a map too. Pick one. I suggest 818 or 717 Trading. You'll find reviews of them on my site too. Happy Durian Hunting!
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 05:53:10 PM »

Don't know about Thailand, but respectfully disagree on "a lot fresher durians" in Malaysia. Singaporean durian sellers have very efficient system worked out. Most suppliers 2-8 hours drive away from Singapore. Durians picked up early morning, and by the afternoon or evening they are already being sold in Singapore. Malaysian stalls don't usually restock or start selling until afternoon or evening. It's really the same thing. Maybe few hours difference on some shipments.  Some Malaysian complain that Singaporeans get only very best selected durians of each cultivar. In fact, you may have to go to Singapore if you want to eat the very best durians from a durian stall. Of course if you are visiting durian farm than it is different story.

Yes, i meant in Thailand and Malaysia you can eat durians right at the farm, or a stall right next to the farm. If what Lindsey posted is correct, then there is only one person farming durians in Singapore?
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 06:27:15 PM »

Nooo! Don't do that, Geylang is famous for where all the durian crooks hang out. They'll try to sell you a bad durian. You have to stay on your toes and it's no fun at all. Some of the worst durian I've ever had came from Sims Avenue.

Here's my guide to durian stalls in Singapore: http://www.yearofthedurian.com/2012/08/singapore-durian-guide.html . There's a map too. Pick one. I suggest 818 or 717 Trading. You'll find reviews of them on my site too. Happy Durian Hunting!

The rule in Singapore is, if durian is bad you don't pay. Unfortunately tourist don't know that. I had durians 3 times at the same stall. One time picked myself, one time picked for me, one time with Singaporean friend who told them we wont pay for bad durian. All three time were very good. You just have to know the right stall.
If you are in Little India, I can tell where to find very honest lady who sold me the best Musang King ever. She has newspaper articles pasted on the stall describing her good and honest sales tactics :)

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »
I wish I had all the infos and guides before I started my trip!
Mike

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 03:50:17 AM »

The rule in Singapore is, if durian is bad you don't pay. Unfortunately tourist don't know that. I had durians 3 times at the same stall. One time picked myself, one time picked for me, one time with Singaporean friend who told them we wont pay for bad durian. All three time were very good. You just have to know the right stall.

That's generally the rule in most places, but it can get very awkward rejecting durians, especially if they give you one that is good on one side but already open/bad on the other side, like it has a worm or something. It's definitely worth paying extra money to go to a reliable vendor.

I'm actually writing a post on my site right now about tricks dirty durian sellers play to sell their bad durian. It goes up Sunday.
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 06:48:47 AM »
When is the season for D175-Red Prawn & D197-Musang King in Singapore? Which months of the year can you find these varieties there? A friend of mine will stay there for long time. I have to convince him for visit to a durian stall and buy durians for the seeds... I think he hates durian! Hahaha!
Mike

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 08:32:11 PM »
When is the season for D175-Red Prawn & D197-Musang King in Singapore? Which months of the year can you find these varieties there? A friend of mine will stay there for long time. I have to convince him for visit to a durian stall and buy durians for the seeds... I think he hates durian! Hahaha!

Enquire from this guy when he starts selling Red Prawn again or just monitor his facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AhSengDurian   Musang King is not a problem. They are everywhere nowadays. Start looking for both around June I think.