Author Topic: Planning a trip to Fruit and Spice Park. What to expect mid November?  (Read 555 times)

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
I am looking to fill the relative fruit void during the Winter/Spring months in South Florida. I think the best thing I can do is try the Fruit and Spice Park for some ideas. Odds are good that we will find a little known fruit the family likes... We are planning to go on Saturday or Sunday. Might stop at nurseries in the area on the way back if we try something the family decides we must have. Open to suggestions on which ones to stop at as well as which to avoid as time will be limited. Curious about guavas with thick skin, soft or minimal seeds, and insect resistance that might have some fruit during the cooler months. (if they exist)
 I get some bananas, sapodillas, and starfruit already year round and will have more and more sapodillas as my trees grow but that will take several more years for significant production. My Dad has a mature black sapote so I get some fruit from that most of the cooler months.
I am determined to have at least some success with avocados in the future.
I got some mulberry cuttings recently and have a bunch of Grafted Surinam cherries black and red cultivars.
l also got a Thai giant thornless Jujube. Fruit is like a bland apple but has great crunchy texture and is refreshing. The family likes it so I have one planted that is setting fruit at the end of its first year in the ground. I remember eating some at ECHO a few years back during the Spring. Hopefully I can have several types of fruit in the future during the months without mangos.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Planning a trip to Fruit and Spice Park. What to expect mid November?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 06:04:08 PM »
Red jaboticaba is fruiting heavy now after Summer pause also my white jaboticaba is giving me
handfuls of fruit now. I also grow cherry tomatoes now and am getting some already. They last
until April or beginning of May. I can go in the yard all Winter and get a handful anytime.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk