Author Topic: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - trees all gone  (Read 66492 times)

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - trees all gone
« on: March 22, 2021, 01:37:46 AM »
For those of you who are not familiar with Yangmei, you can find some information at the wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrica_rubra.

The fruits are red to dark red, or black. Flesh is juicy, sweet and tart. Though wiki says the fruits are very tart, good varieties have very nice sweet/tart balance. One of my favorite fruits. The tree is hardy to USDA zone 10.

The trees have been out of reach for most people in the USA. Recently I talked to a Chinese fruit tree exporter, and I am negotiating with him. If we can get like 300 trees, the cost can be reasonable (around $45 per tree). Hence I am trying to get an assessment about how may trees we can reach in a group order. The exporter offers four varieties:
  • Dongkui: large (20-40g), dark red, excellent flavor.
  • Black Peak: new variety. Very large(up to 68g), black, stores better than other varieties
  • An Hai: new variety. Early-maturing (mid May), medium fruit size (23g), purple black. Stores well
  • Biqi: smaller fruits (10-20g) with small pits, black, juicy, sweet with aroma. said to be tasty
I ate a lot of Dongkui and it's really delicious. I didn't get to try other varieties. Trees are 1.5-2.5 ft tall, 1/4 - 3/8" diameter, bare-root (required by USDA APHIS)

If you are interested, please specify 1) # of trees you'd like to order, and 2) your location (such as Irvine, Southern California). I don't have time to ship 300 trees to like 100 locations so the idea is to ship large quantiles to a few people in certain cities and people go pick up the trees there.

It's not a commitment at this point, I just want to check how many trees we can get. Keep in mind of the risks below
  • Being scammed: Many years ago many people group-ordered from the same guy, and received the trees. However, obviously I cannot guarantee he doesn't scam us this time
  • Tree condition: Exporter said it takes two weeks to receive the tree. Delay is possible (for example, custom clearance) due to COVID. There is simply no guarantee that they all arrive in top conditions.
  • Transplant risks: Yangmei trees are sensitive to transplant especially when shipped bare-root. The success rate was very low according a member who bought Yangmei trees last time. He had good success however (light potting mix, low temperature, high humidity, no overwatering keep in shade for 3-5 months!)
  • Additional costs: shipping fees from USA to select locations near you, hidden costs such as custom clearance (not sure yet)

Update 3/23:
  • I created a spreadsheet here with your order info here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ujd-xLLAKCaBIxLbK0HJnhlZNeBrwyCr66AOc8sqec/edit?usp=sharing
  • Please double check for accuracy. Comment in the google sheet or post your correction here. If your username is highlighted, you didn't specify the accurate # of trees or varieties
  • This is a non-profit effort to help everyone (myself included) to get this amazing tree. Hopefully some of us will be successful so that we can help each other out in the future. That being said, I will charge $1 per tree to cover my time, just for transparency purpose.
  • The price is an estimate based on the quote from the exporter based on 300 trees, and until I collect the $ from everyone (and hence the final # of trees), the price is just an estimate. I hope to further negotiate price down once we are ready to commit.
  • Survey will close as soon as the import permit is approved. Then I will announce the price (with $1 added) and start collect $ from everyone (Paypal friend's and family option). Potential complication is that people don't send me money, cause the final order size to be much smaller, and hence we might need to pay higher price per tree
  • After collecting money, I will send 50% of the payment to the exporter as a deposit. He will get the trees ready and apply for phyto certificate. Then he will ship the trees out. I am still negotiating when to make final payment. He wants full payment after phyto certificate and other government approvals (which he claims is the norm), and I want to pay him only after receiving the tree.
  • Please stay tuned for updates! We need to act pretty quickly since the weather is getting hotter and the conditions become harsher for the trees
Update 3/31: I got import permit approved! Since we are just ordering for San Diego pickup only, we will be processing the CA orders at this time, which has a total of 198 trees, and I expect the final committed # of trees to be even lower. Hence the cost per tree is higher. Please pay attention to the following:
  • Please send payment ($55/tree) to beicadad4533@gmail.com via Paypal and use friends and family option, double check the order info in the spreadsheet before you do so! Please include your forum username with the payment
  • This is limited to people who can pick up from San Diego or who can have someone pickup from San Diego
  • If you haven't signed up, you can still sign up and send payment before we close the group buy. Timing depends on how quickly we can collect payment for ~200 trees;
  • For those who ask someone else to pick up the trees, make sure you double check the forum username in the "Pickup by" column of the spreadsheet
  • There is still a chance that this will not go through - such as very low # of actual trees ordered. In this case, you will be fully refunded
  • Next steps: once we close the group buy we will send 50% payment to seller immediately. 30% payment due when phyto certificate is ready and trees are ready to be shipped (~10 days after first payment), 20% due after trees are received ~2weeks after first payment).
Update 4/4: We've reached the critical mass - more than 150 trees. You can still sign up and send payment at this point. I Plan to send payment some time on Monday. After that the opportunity will be closed.

Update 4/7: It's taken a bit longer to add a term on the tree condition. Finally the seller accepted it. Expect the contract to be signed and first payment to be sent on 4/8. You can still join at this point. Thank you for your patience!

Update 4/8: the deposit was sent to the seller today. The seller is now preparing the trees and and will apply for phyto certificate. It takes 7-10 days to get documents ready for air shipping.

I ordered a few extras, so you may still join and send payment (very limited QTY though).
  • For everyone who ordered, please double check your QTY and varieties, and double check who will pick up the trees for you if you can't come
  • For those in Socal but not in San Diego (such as Los Angeles, Irvine, Riverside), please consider consolidate order pickup to save yourself a trip.
  • For those in Bay Area, CA central coast, I believe nattyfroootz will pick up the trees. Please double check.

Update 4/29:
All gone!

Dongkui: 0 left. $55 each. they come with less roots compared but are still alive.
Black Peak: 0 left. $65 each
An Hai: 0 left. $75 each
Biqi: 0 left. $85 each

Minimum two trees per order. First come first serve. Please send payment ($55/tree) to beicadad4533@gmail.com via Paypal and use friends and family option, Please include your forum username with the payment

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 04:27:04 PM by beicadad »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order Survey
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 11:15:56 AM »
Thanks for putting this together.

I would want anywhere from 12 - 20 trees. Definitely Dongkui and Biqi.

South Miami, FL area.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 12:37:00 PM »
Put me down for one Biqi and one Dongkui just to support the cause.

What is the plan for male trees?
Shane

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 12:55:39 PM »

The seller said the grafted trees will produce both male and female flowers. However, I heard that it may many years for the trees to mature up to produce both male and female.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 01:25:21 PM »
12 trees, 3 of each variety. Southeast Florida (South Miami, FL area)
Brandon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 01:56:08 PM »

The seller said the grafted trees will produce both male and female flowers. However, I heard that it may many years for the trees to mature up to produce both male and female.

Another seller in China told me all plants sent would produce fruit. Wasn't sure at the time if he was suggesting that yangmei is monoecious, which is contrary to what I have heard from other sources. To be sure, want some extras! 

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 02:00:07 PM »
3 trees. Dongkui, Black Peak, Biqi. Local pick up or Fountain Valley, Southern California area.
Thank you!
Nate

Tlaloc

• https://www.instagram.com/laloscorner/
    • Spacex, CA 10B and EAFB 8B
    • View Profile
    • Lalo's Corner
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 02:11:17 PM »
I would like to support the cause.
Put me down for one of each. I am near LAX.

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 02:43:16 PM »
2 - Black Peak
2- An Hai

I am in San Diego.
- Val

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 03:24:43 PM »
I would gladly stick it to those monopolizers.

Put me down for 4 to 6

I'm in San Diego

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 03:33:52 PM »
Put me down for 4 (1 of each) Located in TN so local pickup is not an option :P   .

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 03:40:47 PM »
The exporter has seedless lychees too but it seems that postentry quarantine is required. Anyone familiar with the process?

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 03:41:20 PM »
I'd be in for 6.  I am in San Diego.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 05:55:40 PM »
I would take 1 of each. Santa Barbara, CA but I'm willing to drive down to LA / OC for a pick up there.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 05:59:29 PM »
PM sent

FruitKid374

• High School Plant Addict
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 06:02:05 PM »
Put me down for 1 of each variety. I’m in San Diego.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 06:52:30 PM »
I'd be in for some lychees, if the requirements could be worked out.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2021, 07:18:39 PM »
I'd be in for a couple of trees 1=Dongkui and 1= Black Peak I'm in Arroyo Grande, Ca. Central Coast of Ca.

Madridje

• Unites States, CA, Los Angeles,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2021, 07:37:25 PM »
I would be interested in one of each.

I'm in the Southern California Area.

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2021, 08:35:44 PM »
In the articles I read they compare the flavor to pomegranate, would you say that is accurate?

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2021, 08:50:24 PM »
In the articles I read they compare the flavor to pomegranate, would you say that is accurate?
It has some similarity to pomegranate, though without the astringency. Yangmei is much tastier though, IMO.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2021, 09:04:04 PM »
Thank youuu! There is a God! This is the top tree on my list. I’d do 4 of each. Riverside, CA.

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2021, 10:14:28 PM »
Interested in
1 Dongkui
1 Black Peak

SLO, CA 93405.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2021, 10:21:27 PM »
I’m in for 2 seedless lychee.
Pick up in SD is not an issue.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2021, 10:38:43 PM »
I’m in for 2 seedless lychee.
Pick up in SD is not an issue.

Most likely won’t order lychees to complicate things. I’m not sure about the process requirements