Author Topic: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - trees all gone  (Read 65817 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - Last Call
« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2021, 11:03:57 PM »
Ok, thanks for the update. It is what it is so I’m just hoping for the best outcome. We definitely don’t want to be spreading bugs around.

Simon

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2021, 11:24:53 PM »
Thank you Ken. I wonder what kind of bugs? You stated the final 20% of the payment would be sent to the seller after the trees have arrived in good condition. Bugs don’t sound like good condition to me...Since bugs were found, will you be sending the additional 20%?
Nate

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2021, 11:47:07 PM »
It would be interesting to hear if they showed these bugs and what they are or if the recipient is expected to just take their word and pay the fee.  I'm a skeptic.
Brad Spaugh

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2021, 11:55:08 PM »
Thank you Ken. I wonder what kind of bugs? You stated the final 20% of the payment would be sent to the seller after the trees have arrived in good condition. Bugs don’t sound like good condition to me...Since bugs were found, will you be sending the additional 20%?
Of course not

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 23, 2021, 11:57:51 PM »
Definitely do not want any new insect species here

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 23, 2021, 11:58:20 PM »
According to my broker, USDA can’t identify the bug yet and will identify on Monday. Depending on type of bugs, the trees could be released immediately or after fumigation.

According to broker, the trees don’t have disease so won’t be destroyed.

Hoping for the best

Kuhyay

• Zone 10a
    • San Diego, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 24, 2021, 12:43:29 AM »
Fingers crossed! In any event, thank you so much beicadad, I know coordinating this has been a lot of work and stress. Regardless of the outcome, I am really grateful to you for that!
Kenny

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 24, 2021, 10:19:18 AM »
Thanks beicadad, for going through this hassle hopefully everything will turn out fine!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 11:08:31 AM by ScottR »

Emerald

• CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2021, 12:15:15 AM »
You have to mix in frankia bacteria into the soil for the plants to survive. And use the proper shade cloth
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 12:17:13 AM by Emerald »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 25, 2021, 01:47:47 AM »
You have to mix in frankia bacteria into the soil for the plants to survive. And use the proper shade cloth

Where can we find Frank’s Bacteria for sale? Do you know if the strains of Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria used on beans would work? Thanks for the suggestion! Also, do you have any literature you might be able to point us to?

Simon

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2021, 01:56:26 AM »

Where can we find Frank’s Bacteria for sale? Do you know if the strains of Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria used on beans would work? Thanks for the suggestion! Also, do you have any literature you might be able to point us to?

Simon

I was looking for it and I found this. I don’t know if it’s the same bacteria but it’s also a nitrogen fixing bacteria. Is he suggesting it or is he saying it’s required?

https://growgeneration.com/blacksmith-bioscience-nitryx-nitrogen-fixing-bacteria-16-oz-1-lb-12-cs.html

And

https://www.xtreme-gardening.com/azos
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 02:13:16 AM by LycheeLust »

Kuhyay

• Zone 10a
    • San Diego, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2021, 03:41:31 AM »

Simon

I was looking for it and I found this. I don’t know if it’s the same bacteria but it’s also a nitrogen fixing bacteria. Is he suggesting it or is he saying it’s required?

https://growgeneration.com/blacksmith-bioscience-nitryx-nitrogen-fixing-bacteria-16-oz-1-lb-12-cs.html

And

https://www.xtreme-gardening.com/azos

I doubt either of the above products would provide the desired benefit since they don’t have any strains of Frankia.

Apparently M. Rubra is fairly promiscuous in which Frankia it forms a symbiotic relationship with. https://www.jstor.org/stable/42951529?seq=1. Some Myrica species are more narrowly associated with specific Frankia strains. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/8048284_Molecular_phylogeny_of_Myricaceae_A_reexamination_of_host-symbiont_specificity

I plan to just add some native soil to my mix, but if you could fine another myrica specimen and make a solution from it’s root nodules, that’d your best bet.

That being said, would inoculation be necessary for optimal results? Yeah, probably. Will the plants die without it? That seems like a leap too far. I recommend just using a fertilizer with some available nitrogen and not overthinking it.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 03:49:21 AM by Kuhyay »
Kenny

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2021, 09:39:23 AM »
Yeah in a dream world our soil would be innoculated but the plants do not have an obligate association with Frankia spp.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2021, 03:40:14 PM »
Lately I've been adding liquid beneficial root enzymes and bacteria into my new plantings along with plentiful humic acids and seeing phenomenal root and plant growth since doing so - I plan to do the same thing with my yangmeis. I would imagine that frankia is the best native option, but I could foresee having something comparable commercially here. The cannabis grower industry has this down to literal science.

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2021, 06:09:33 PM »
Gonna throw some beneficial mycorrhizae fungus on mine
Nate

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2021, 02:04:55 AM »
Lately I've been adding liquid beneficial root enzymes and bacteria into my new plantings along with plentiful humic acids and seeing phenomenal root and plant growth since doing so - I plan to do the same thing with my yangmeis. I would imagine that frankia is the best native option, but I could foresee having something comparable commercially here. The cannabis grower industry has this down to literal science.

Nice, thx for sharing. What product do you use for your liquid beneficial root enzymes and bacteria?
Nate

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2021, 11:48:33 AM »
The suspense!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2021, 12:11:08 PM »

Nice, thx for sharing. What product do you use for your liquid beneficial root enzymes and bacteria?

I'm using Down to Earth humic acid, and azomite, super cheap like $9 for 5lb of the stuff at grow stores. I'm experimenting with Voodoo Juice and Piranha from Advanced Nutrients - they are not cheap, $30 a quart or something, but the half dose of 1tsp per 2.5 gallon of water is doing the job. When I've pulled my plants for up-potting the root growth is impressive, hairy white. I am also experimenting with Advanced Nutrients for indoor growing and yeah, the stuff just plain works better than other brands.

For certain plants, like jaboticaba, I'm willing to spend a bit of extra money to hasten their root development when young and hopefully build them up for future success. I tried some jabos with and some without to see if it really works and it does change the root color (pure white tips), and amount of feeder roots (hairs) and up top the plant just thrives. I have a red jabo that I treat hardest with it that is the same age as my others and has a 1/4" trunk about the size of a pencil and the others are barely 1/16". Obviously genetics plays some part of this too, but, all the same batch of seeds and the only change I made was utilizing these products. The indoor grow though, because it's such a short plant life, is really demonstrative.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2021, 05:38:11 PM »
All right UDSA said the plants can be released after fumigation ($600 at a third party). Should be ready for pickup by tomorrow evening. So please be prepared for Wednesday pickup.

Please send an email to beicadad4533@gmail.com with your forum username so that I can email you pickup instructions. The forum msg system is not easy to use. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 05:53:59 PM by beicadad »

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 26, 2021, 05:44:24 PM »
Great!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2021, 05:46:30 PM »
Any word on condition of the plants?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 26, 2021, 05:48:10 PM »
I can’t pick up until Wednesday afternoon.
Anyone in OC picking up Wednesday morning?
Would you pick up my 2 trees too?

Sean.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 26, 2021, 05:54:33 PM »
Any word on condition of the plants?

just asked again - "still alive". I sure hope so!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 05:59:06 PM by beicadad »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 26, 2021, 07:06:32 PM »
I am planning to head down bright and early on Wednesday to pick them up for Bay area and Central coast folks. Probably will make it down there around 11am-1pm or so I hope to be back later in the evening around 6-7pm depending on traffic. It's a grind to get down and back to SD through LA traffic.

If everyone can arrange for pick up at my place then, that would be great. PM me for my number / address if needed!

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 26, 2021, 07:12:18 PM »
Who is picking up Los Angeles orders? I’ll pay for gas