Author Topic: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - trees all gone  (Read 65824 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - trees all gone
« Reply #275 on: May 01, 2021, 01:18:13 AM »
Thanks Ken for the Yangmei. I picked up some extra plants he had, not sure if they will make it but my trip to his place was well worth it.
I got to meet him in person and see his fruit trees. I'm really impressed with the loquats he has, the nicest looking, very big fruited trees. His trees are not that large but his fruits are huge and look super clean. He gave me a Shorepointe loquat so when I got home, did a quick taste test with my top 2 loquats and his was number 3 (still very good taste).

In addition to picking up my plants, Ken gave me heads up on picking up some myrica californica at a nearby nursery. I had to walk a little with my crutch (60 acre nursery) to find the plant but they have super great prices ( 1 gallon plants $6.50) and very big, so I had to buy 8 of them.

Thanks again Ken.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 01:20:05 AM by sc4001992 »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 01, 2021, 07:48:12 AM »
Are you planning to graft yangmei on m. californica?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 01, 2021, 08:51:17 AM »
yes, I was told they should be compatible. I know nothing about the Yangmei or myrica californica but sounded like a fun project to join in. I plan to take a small cutting from each one I bought and graft onto these healthy guys.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 01, 2021, 10:44:53 AM »
Wow Kaz, nice tree's you got hope you have luck grafting them keep us posted on results!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 01, 2021, 10:50:25 AM »
kaz and kang, what part of the nursery were the californica plants in?  When youdrive in which way did you go? 
Brad Spaugh

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 01, 2021, 10:54:12 AM »
kaz and kang, what part of the nursery were the californica plants in?  When youdrive in which way did you go?

I think it’s all the way to the upper left corner. The most unnoticeable place in the nursery.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 01, 2021, 10:58:30 AM »
Thanks Ken for the Yangmei. I picked up some extra plants he had, not sure if they will make it but my trip to his place was well worth it.
I got to meet him in person and see his fruit trees. I'm really impressed with the loquats he has, the nicest looking, very big fruited trees. His trees are not that large but his fruits are huge and look super clean. He gave me a Shorepointe loquat so when I got home, did a quick taste test with my top 2 loquats and his was number 3 (still very good taste).

In addition to picking up my plants, Ken gave me heads up on picking up some myrica californica at a nearby nursery. I had to walk a little with my crutch (60 acre nursery) to find the plant but they have super great prices ( 1 gallon plants $6.50) and very big, so I had to buy 8 of them.

Thanks again Ken.

Hi Kaz, it was nice to meet you in person. I forgot to tell you that you could drive within the nursery so you don’t have to walk.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 01, 2021, 12:16:29 PM »
Please keep us posted on your progress.

Wondering if there is a good rootstock for us here in humid SoFL?

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 01, 2021, 12:18:31 PM »
Please keep us posted on your progress.

Wondering if there is a good rootstock for us here in humid SoFL?

Myrica cerifera
Nate

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 01, 2021, 12:23:26 PM »
Brad, if it's ok to post the nursery diagram they gave me here then I can mark exactly where in their lot it is. Otherwise if its not allowed then send a PM and I will can send you their map with "X-marks the spot". The still have about 20-30 plants left (all about 3ft tall).

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 01, 2021, 12:31:19 PM »
Only a couple of my trees have leaves, and when I say leaves, I mean one, tiny, little half leaf, probably not even enough for an appetizer for a caterpillar...Not sure how the trees without leaves will find enough chlorophyll to stimulate any kind growth? I think the best route for the ones without leaves is to graft onto myrica Californica, which I will be doing. I also believe this is how the guy from Calmei got his first tree going. I have a few extra myrica californica in 1 gallon pots if anyone needs some, local pick up only in Fountain Valley.
Nate

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 01, 2021, 12:58:08 PM »
FV Fruit Freak, I have few to no leaves on mine. That's why I think grafting them will save it.

Robert, I found some qince rootstock online for my loquats so I will be grafting some loquats onto these now.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 04:46:34 PM by sc4001992 »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 01, 2021, 02:09:59 PM »
Only a couple of my trees have leaves, and when I say leaves, I mean one, tiny, little half leaf, probably not even enough for an appetizer for a caterpillar...Not sure how the trees without leaves will find enough chlorophyll to stimulate any kind growth? I think the best route for the ones without leaves is to graft onto myrica Californica, which I will be doing. I also believe this is how the guy from Calmei got his first tree going. I have a few extra myrica californica in 1 gallon pots if anyone needs some, local pick up only in Fountain Valley.

The plants, with roots, will have energy to put out growth. First step is establishing a new root system. They are angry to have no leaves or roots and will push out when they're recovered from their long trip - at least that's how I see plants that I massively defoliate or prune other species. My yangmei leaves, or what is left of them, are currently falling off.

I 100% defoliated a mango seedling I have just to see what happens and it's coming back strong after just a few weeks with lots of fresh healthy growth.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 01, 2021, 03:22:10 PM »
I cut 2” back and still hit dead woods.
The roots looked fresh.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 01, 2021, 04:03:13 PM »
Yes, I have similar result on one of them, but small section of the grafts are still good. One is very healthy, branches and all. Keeping my fingers crossed that grafts work on MC.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 01, 2021, 04:20:37 PM »
Brad, here's the map. X-marks the spot.

ronke47

• Santa Monica, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 01, 2021, 04:34:39 PM »
I feel I should mention that Fang Liu has done many many yang mei grafts onto my myrica californica and even though some took and pushed leaves for over a year, they all ultimately and quite suddenly died.  He reported to me this week that he had finally successfully grafted onto a myrica californica plant I had given him (his was still in the pot I think;  mine in the ground) but I believe Yunfei Chen found grafting on East Coast bayberry was more successful than on our west coast version (so you folks in  FLA may be in luck!)  The article on Chen https://www.californiabountiful.com/features/article.aspx?arID=2451also made it sound that he was grafting onto yang mei seedlings he had grown so who knows? 

My Dong Kui does look pretty dead (the main root rotten, the bark cracked:   but the Biqi's roots look good and I will think hopeful thoughts about both these little guys.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 01, 2021, 04:52:01 PM »
Here's my logic on growing these bareroot plants.

If grafts takes on MC and grows for a year, that's that much more time to figure out the best rootstock to graft it again. Better than a dead tree now if roots do not form on some plants.

Ronke47, thanks for your feedback on the rootstock compatibility.

Kuhyay

• Zone 10a
    • San Diego, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 01, 2021, 05:53:06 PM »
I’m going to give this a shot too, as others have said, even if there isn’t a possibility for high long-term compatibility, it seems like a way to keep scionsood fresh for grafting ona more suitable rootstock.

For those curious, the nursery still had plenty of M. californica trees

Kenny

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 01, 2021, 10:58:45 PM »
I also bought a californica today and grafted it up. It was by far the ugliest plant at the nursery in town and they laughed at me for buying it, but didn't know my important plan. I was able to get a few scions off the Anhai which is my healthiest one. The grafts were drying out / dying from the tip down so I cut down to healthy wood and then wrapped them up with grafting tape. It's all I can do.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - Some trees left
« Reply #295 on: May 01, 2021, 11:22:03 PM »
Curious..what is the tile for? 

Potted

Bagged and hidden
A month is enough?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 02, 2021, 02:04:56 AM »
The tiles block water vapor loss through the surface of the potting soil.
That pot is bagged so no need for the tiles.
I added then so I would not need to add later after I removed the bag.

One guy claimed 25%-30% water loss through the surface.
On wider pot the tiles cover up to 90% of surface.
They reduce water loss to 3%.
The best is plastic that cover the pot and tied to to trunk, 0 water loss.

3” x 6” tiles in #15 pot.
All my pots have tiles.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 02, 2021, 10:21:17 AM »
There’s an article in fungimag that lists myrica as a confirmed species with dual mychorrizal fungi associations (both endomychorizzal and ectomychorrizzal). I use mycogrow from fungi perfecti and the water soluble product from plant success organics with good results.  I innocculated the roots before planting on all but two plants to keep as a control.  I also added some native soil that was under a ceanothus which is known to have associations with frankia. 

Best of luck to everyone,
Janet

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 02, 2021, 10:56:53 AM »
I gleaned some soil from under my Locust trees and Elaeagnus trees which has associations with frankia and screened into potting mix of peat moss and worm castings. Potted both trees up with bags over pot's to keep up mosture. Time will tell did some tip pruning back to healthy wood!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 02, 2021, 02:27:29 PM »
Thanks Kaz, Kang came here for avocado tasting yesterday and donated me a rootstock to use so I dont have to drive all the way over to that nursery now. 

Thanks for the tree Kang, thanks for making this happen.
Brad Spaugh