Author Topic: Id: Chilean guava, or something else?  (Read 599 times)

turpentyne

• 9b - 10a
    • View Profile
Id: Chilean guava, or something else?
« on: March 27, 2022, 07:35:22 PM »
I’ve got a happy little 3yr old plant grown from seed (trade winds). It was labeled chilean guava/ugni molinae. It hasn’t flowered yet. But whenever I look at pics online, the leaves seem different than my plant. Shorter and curled downward on the margins (deflexed). Mine almost looks like some eugenia, but … maybe i’m just impatient to know because I haven’t seen flowers/fruit yet.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Id: Chilean guava, or something else?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 07:40:30 PM »
Doesnt look like it to me-

Looks more like a rose apple (Syzygium jambos)

here is my Chilean Guava from Ben at Sacred Succulents, a bit whacked from winter but has the leaf structure you describe

this is the "Blanco" clone of theirs

Ugni molinae “Unu” “Murtillo” “Chilean Guava”
Myrtaceae. Ornamental evergreen shrub to 6'. Cup-shaped fragrant white-pink flowers and 1/3" rose-purple edible berries. Southern Chile. The fruit
has a particularly delicious flavor, being aromatic and sweet. The leaves are rich in antioxidants, the Mapuche make a analgesic tea from them and brew
chicha from the fruit. The roasted seeds are a coffee substitute. Ugni candollei is used to induce dreaming. Commercially cultivated in Chile for the
fruits, it was popular in 1800s England, Queen Victoria’s favorite fruit! Does excellent here in northern California. Dislikes alkaline soil, but is very
easy to grow. Sun to half shade, drought tolerant when established. Can be trimmed as a hedge. Deserves wide cultivation. Higher germination with 30
days cold. Z8a
Ugni molinae ‘Blanco’ – A clone we selected from a batch of seedlings for its pink blushed whitish fruit (when fully ripe) that is sweeter and less tart
than others. Over the years we've found that the fruit color can very from season to season; whitish to pink. Z8a

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 07:48:08 PM »
wait for the fruit because it looks somewhat like a cas guava but also there's a hint of eugenia. not exactly s.jambos cuz they have very thin and long leaves at least when young. then it's also not the same as the elouicious pics...

turpentyne

• 9b - 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 08:00:19 PM »
Hmm… I don’t think cas guava, i’ve got a little one of those & leaves are rougher, less glossy and more defined veins. The rose apple looks a lot closer, but the veins aren’t quite the same, judging by online pics.

Probably stuck waiting for flowers. Boo. Maybe it’s just a new morphology of ugni!

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 08:54:54 PM »
Plant leaves can change a lot as plants grow and also from online pics you can't feel the texture of the leaves so it's difficult. If it is rose apple the crushed leaves should smell like with a hint of honey.

those are my rose apples, i've just smelled them.

that's my cas guava
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 08:56:26 PM by digigarden »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 08:56:17 PM »
Hmm… I don’t think cas guava, i’ve got a little one of those & leaves are rougher, less glossy and more defined veins. The rose apple looks a lot closer, but the veins aren’t quite the same, judging by online pics.

Probably stuck waiting for flowers. Boo. Maybe it’s just a new morphology of ugni!

I like your positivity haha