Author Topic: Mango flowering on November 1 in Jupiter - How common is this  (Read 894 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Mango flowering on November 1 in Jupiter - How common is this
« on: October 08, 2022, 06:22:35 PM »
This was my initial post, look at the new (next post) one below.

====================================
What should I call this?

My Beverly mango has been totally confused this year.  It flowered and set very few fruits but that was not totally unexpected because it did well last year and tends to take a year off (at least in my assessment).
What has been strange is that every month this year I have found one or two flower panicles on this tree. 

I cut off some branches that were low hanging and some that were shading out a graft I put on a part of the tree and when I moved the branches to the road side, guess what, either a late flower or and early flower. 

Any suggestions on how to make it calm down until January or February when it can flower all it wants and try to set fruit?

« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 05:33:04 PM by Orkine »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mango flowering on November 1 in Jupiter - How common is this
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 05:31:30 PM »
My initial post (under a separate title) was about a confused Beverly tree that would throw a panicle or two every 2 to 3 weeks for the last few months.  It has done it consistently and right now actually has a few more.

My observation today was on a separate tree, a multi-graft that has two branches flowering, relatively heavily for the off season. 
What should I make of this?

Please share your experience.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 07:25:30 PM »
Maybe stress from ian?My tropic peach has some flowers too......0 chill hrs
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 07:37:39 PM by Timbogrow »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 09:21:48 PM »
Maybe stress from ian?My tropic peach has some flowers too......0 chill hrs

I see a lot of fall bloom with low chill stone fruit. I think having most of the leaves blown off by the hurricane triggered them to bloom some.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 10:03:17 PM »
Is your Choc Anon flowering?
I got a branch of Maha Chanok flowering also now.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 07:33:36 PM »
Not the Choc Anon.
I believe the branches flowering are Fairchild and perhaps Madame Francis.

The Beverly is the one that has been flowering off and on, but only between 1 and 3 panicles at a time. 

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 08:20:09 PM »
I believe the branches flowering are Fairchild and perhaps Madame Francis.

The Beverly is the one that has been flowering off and on, but only between 1 and 3 panicles at a time.
My one Madame Francis tree is fairly heavy flowering about  1/2 the canopy. It tends to flower spontaneously through out the year but this is pretty heavy this time.

Light flowering on a NDM.

Light flowering on a Carrie but I have many trees and only 1 with light flowering.

Light flowering on another tree but forgot which.

I'm not really impressed nor looking to try to get any fruit off these few blooms... A long winter lies ahead and not worth my effort.

... Just read the top post... How do you get it to calm down... Well, I ignore it...   lol... It'll pass...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 08:52:29 PM by palmcity »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 09:48:16 PM »

Any suggestions on how to make it calm down until January or February when it can flower all it wants and try to set fruit?

Ok, Suggestions... Hmmm... Need a glass of wine... Ok, got it... ::: For those that Buy the Best Fertilizers:: Osmocote etc....  Good stuff Right as it lasts a long time 6Months or longer.... ???

Well, maybe & maybe not... Depends on your needs.... If you applied it in June, Then count July, August, Sept, Oct., Nov., and Dec,..... It probably is still slowly releasing a little in Jan..... lol... Sooooo Just add water (rainfall) and watch those trees grow (and sometimes bloom with additional bloom stressors)... lol...

Some of the Home Depot fertilizers have made the nitrogen in sustained release also, I believe 3 months but maybe longer...

Just read the labels to determine when you want nitrogen to stimulate your tree growth....

If in doubt use cheap quick release toward the end of the normal mango growing season (July, Aug.,Sept., and definitely quick release in Oct. if you dare risk it.

But regardless, if enough rain and right temp. & other stimulators of bloom... There's probably plenty of nitrogen normally in the soil to help a few of the trees partially bloom
 if the right bloom stressors are in place.

On your large fruiting trees, if fertilizer is needed... using quick release should lower your odds of out of season bloom... But it will still occur in a small percentage of trees IMO even if zero fertilizer is used, but the odds are lowered.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 09:50:12 PM by palmcity »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2022, 10:05:41 PM »
Carrie has joined the party.
K3 threw one flower and so did Pina Colalada.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk