Author Topic: Red Skinned Pineapple with high brix?  (Read 317 times)

FloridaGrower69

• Propagation of Interesting Pineapple
    • East Central Florida
    • View Profile
Red Skinned Pineapple with high brix?
« on: February 28, 2024, 07:41:54 PM »
https://www.fruitnet.com/asiafruit/del-monte-launches-red-shelled-rubyglow-pineapple/258135.article

https://www.freshplaza.com/north-america/article/9595163/red-shelled-rubyglow-pineapple-launched/

I hope it has enough ascorbic acid to transport well.  Pink Glow didnt quite impress me its brix readings. Maybe Ruby Glow ywill. We’ll wait and see.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Red Skinned Pineapple with high brix?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 09:47:26 PM »
Cool. This is the first I've heard of the Rubyglow. I wonder if anyone is selling it in the US yet.

What cultivar is that in the pic you posted?

In the article you posted it mentioned a Honeyglow pineapple. Is that just a MD-2 that is left to ripen longer on the plant or is it a different cultivar?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 05:18:09 PM »
https://www.fruitnet.com/asiafruit/del-monte-launches-red-shelled-rubyglow-pineapple/258135.article

https://www.freshplaza.com/north-america/article/9595163/red-shelled-rubyglow-pineapple-launched/

I hope it has enough ascorbic acid to transport well.  Pink Glow didnt quite impress me its brix readings. Maybe Ruby Glow ywill. We’ll wait and see.

At present, what are your favorite pineapple varieties for Florida gardeners?
John

FloridaGrower69

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 05:38:31 PM »
So.....

With Del Monte, they have 3 market leading pineapple patents:  Honeyglow (which I was able to get a copy of and seems robust), Pinkglow, and now Rubyglow.  The are all cultivars appear to have MD2 in the mix - the patent applications sometimes list the hybridization families - but I haven't checked.  I know of another breeder in Costa Rica who was working on a similar project - the amount of time spent trying to pair strong red color AND get a brix of 16-18 was incredible.

What seems to me a little wonky (unless you see the exclusive marketing component in it), is launching a pineapple grown in Costa Rica - to a very large audience in China.  Clearly there is a 'limited production' call to action with this launch intended to drive the fruit connoisseur to market.  I believe Del Monte has watched patented pineapple like Maui Gold, Meli Kalima, Mango Pineapple, and especially the Japanese Gold Barrel and Peach pineapple command eyebrow raising prices.  But most of those pineapple are domestic-only, fresh to market items.  So it will be interesting to see how the Ruby fruit fare on their air-freighted ride across the Pacific to China.  That's why I was questioning the amount of ascorbic acid that was bred into Ruby Glow - as it acts as a sort of natural preservative. Ascorbic acid goes up and sometimes brix goes down and the fruit gets a bit tangy. 

The pineapple in the picture was a one-off bred fruit.  A no name at this point.

Del Monte plans on launching the red pineapple in China any day now - though I heard it's a little behind schedule.   If it makes a good show there then I would suppose we'll see some marketing here in the U.S. by late summer.   Pink Glow is a bit pricey compared to the ubiquitous supermarket pineapple.  I'd wager a bet that the Ruby Glow will fetch $30 - $40 at market. We'll see. Maybe. LOL

FloridaGrower69

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 05:59:22 PM »
Hey John,

My favorite would the Dellerman Gold since he's a local farmer with a really unique MD2 variant.  I've tried a lot of pineapple and that one scores high because of the light to medium coconut taste ...depending on the plant... and the very hefty aromatics.  It smells amazing.  So I'm a bit opinionated on that one.  I've tried getting the material out to different members on this forum and I'd be interested what success they've had. 

Another favorite is Cayenne Hilo - which has a good, complex flavor with a little hint of tart. 

My wife's favorite is the Cabezona hybrid that's grown on the western side of Puerto Rico called Las Marias (that's the home town to the woman who hybridized it)  Supposedly it's Cabezona (bulls head, a very prickly and large fruit) cross pollinated with something called PR-167.  It produced a very strong vanilla flavored fruit that can grow quite large.  Though it's a prickly monster and tending to it can be like wrestling a Cholla cactus <kidding>.  LOL

I have Japanese Peach ('soft touch') coming along and that will be a real test to see if I can get the same strong aromatics and flavor that the Japanese farmers' fruit produces.   We'll see.

Picture of a Las Marias below next to a Giant Paun to show globe shape of fruit and beautiful color and some other images from the grounds.

Rice-N-Beans

• US,South East Florida,Hollywood,zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2024, 12:41:02 AM »
Hey John,

My favorite would the Dellerman Gold since he's a local farmer with a really unique MD2 variant.  I've tried a lot of pineapple and that one scores high because of the light to medium coconut taste ...depending on the plant... and the very hefty aromatics.  It smells amazing.  So I'm a bit opinionated on that one.  I've tried getting the material out to different members on this forum and I'd be interested what success they've had. 

Another favorite is Cayenne Hilo - which has a good, complex flavor with a little hint of tart. 

My wife's favorite is the Cabezona hybrid that's grown on the western side of Puerto Rico called Las Marias (that's the home town to the woman who hybridized it)  Supposedly it's Cabezona (bulls head, a very prickly and large fruit) cross pollinated with something called PR-167.  It produced a very strong vanilla flavored fruit that can grow quite large.  Though it's a prickly monster and tending to it can be like wrestling a Cholla cactus <kidding>.  LOL

I have Japanese Peach ('soft touch') coming along and that will be a real test to see if I can get the same strong aromatics and flavor that the Japanese farmers' fruit produces.   We'll see.

Picture of a Las Marias below next to a Giant Paun to show globe shape of fruit and beautiful color and some other images from the grounds.

I forget which thread you posted a link to a video of the gentlemen who grows the Dellerman pineapple, the owner Mark Dellerman IIRC from the video was his name? It was a good share and now I want to visit his farm and cop a few of his pineapples when he's in season to sell them, he had a good story about his farm and his pineapple, they also sound really good tasting too!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 11:24:35 AM by Rice-N-Beans »

Jordan321

• Melbourne, Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2024, 09:22:54 AM »
Hey John,

I forget which thread you posted linking to the gentlemen who grow the Dellerman pineapple. the owner Mark Dellerman IIRC from the video was his name? It was a good share and now I want to visit his farm and cop a few of his pineapples when he's in season to sell them, he had a good story about his farm and his pineapple, they also sound really good tasting too!

I'll second that, Rice. We are in Melbourne, so not very far. Everytime I went south for anything I tried to work in a stop at one of those spots you said we're selling it, Brett, but it was either out of the way or odd hours. This year I'll just have to plan to just come to your ranch, instead of trying to finagle it in. ... Maybe I'll call it a homeschool field trip. I'm sure you'd say something educational. Haha

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2024, 11:15:06 AM »
If you buy pineapples directly from the farm, how can you be sure they're Dellerman Gold? And then do you plant the tops? Is there any other way to get this pineapple for your garden?
John

FloridaGrower69

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 01:36:27 PM »
Apparently my first reply didnt make it over sorry

Mark Dellerman is local farmer with a small farm here in Wabasso, FL.  He's getting national notoriety and is affectionately titled The Pineapple Man here in the County.  All he grows is Dellerman pineapple. 

So if you are pulling over to his roadside, once-a-year weekend, sale - you're getting his fruit.  2 other small businesses carry his fruit in season:  AKOHO, a bakery next to his farm in Wabasso - and Sturgis Lumber in Vero: both have some bins of fruit as well.  He personally restocks those, so again - you're getting Dellerman Gold fruit.

The problem is:  The fruit goes fast.  The big fruit is often sold out within days.  I will post on the forum when he is ready to sell.  Other than the crowns of his fruit, there is no other way to get his material.  Hey may offer up slips... but I've never asked. 

On the fruit, some of the fruit have good coconut flavor.  Others have a hint.  All have good vanilla highlights and are incredibly aromatic.  I try to buy 12 a year and taste them.  Strongest coconut fruit crowns go in pots, the others get tossed.   

And to answer your question exactly ... the tops are planted - yes.  If you taste the fruit and screen for best taste... you get great plants.

I offer a dozen or so slips and crowns a year at the end of the season - and surprisingly to me, the requests for Dellerman Gold material surpasses even Antigua Black.  Which says a lot about Mark Dellerman's work. 

Bottom line, that would be the way to get the plants - from his yearly sale.  Again, I will post the harvest date when he announces it.

FloridaGrower69

• East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2024, 01:47:19 PM »
Just caught the educational zing.  That's funny.  LOL

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2024, 09:22:20 PM »
Apparently my first reply didnt make it over sorry

Mark Dellerman is local farmer with a small farm here in Wabasso, FL.  He's getting national notoriety and is affectionately titled The Pineapple Man here in the County.  All he grows is Dellerman pineapple. 

So if you are pulling over to his roadside, once-a-year weekend, sale - you're getting his fruit.  2 other small businesses carry his fruit in season:  AKOHO, a bakery next to his farm in Wabasso - and Sturgis Lumber in Vero: both have some bins of fruit as well.  He personally restocks those, so again - you're getting Dellerman Gold fruit.

The problem is:  The fruit goes fast.  The big fruit is often sold out within days.  I will post on the forum when he is ready to sell.  Other than the crowns of his fruit, there is no other way to get his material.  Hey may offer up slips... but I've never asked. 

On the fruit, some of the fruit have good coconut flavor.  Others have a hint.  All have good vanilla highlights and are incredibly aromatic.  I try to buy 12 a year and taste them.  Strongest coconut fruit crowns go in pots, the others get tossed.   

And to answer your question exactly ... the tops are planted - yes.  If you taste the fruit and screen for best taste... you get great plants.

I offer a dozen or so slips and crowns a year at the end of the season - and surprisingly to me, the requests for Dellerman Gold material surpasses even Antigua Black.  Which says a lot about Mark Dellerman's work. 

Bottom line, that would be the way to get the plants - from his yearly sale.  Again, I will post the harvest date when he announces it.

I thought not all the fruit were Dellerman Gold and some were MD-2. Is that not the case?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2024, 10:52:44 PM »
It is funny you you and I guess in different parts of the world there are great pineapples that haven't been shared. MD2 and Cayenne are scoffed at around here in spite of being standards in the sub tropics. Carnival, festival and jubilee are held in high regard as are the improved Queen varieties. Ripley Queen having a brix routinely over 20 is claimed to be the world's sweetest.