Author Topic: PGA (Psidium Growers Association) - thread all about psidiums!  (Read 12206 times)

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
Re: PGA (Psidium Growers Association) - thread all about psidiums!
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2023, 12:11:50 PM »
What I'm really looking for is psidium pulcherrimum. Really regretting not buying it when I had the option to import some seeds.
The fine and small leaf psidiums and eguenias are on another level in terms of ornamentals.

Here is the one P. pulcherrimum I have from about 7 seeds. Still a possibility other seeds might germinate because some of them are very sporadic. This seedling is starting to get  thinner leaves that they are known for. These Caatinga species look so similar at first.

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2023, 12:23:05 PM »

I want to show y'all this, here is 1 Psidium schenckianum that was planted in a 3” wide 8” deep treepot, they clearly grow much better in a deeper pot. Sometimes I learn the hard way on growing. I think now that in their native biome if their taproot gets dry they will go into shutdown mode like they are going into the dry period of the year. Good drainage but with consistent moisture at the tap root and good light is key. Also I highly doubt these Caatinga species will handle much more than maybe a light frost, luckily they are small enough to move around or protect.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 02:00:57 PM by Giant Gecko »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2023, 04:49:28 PM »

I want to show y'all this, here is 1 Psidium schenckianum that was planted in a 3” wide 8” deep treepot, they clearly grow much better in a deeper pot. Sometimes I learn the hard way on growing. I think now that in their native biome if their taproot gets dry they will go into shutdown mode like they are going into the dry period of the year. Good drainage but with consistent moisture at the tap root and good light is key. Also I highly doubt these Caatinga species will handle much more than maybe a light frost, luckily they are small enough to move around or protect.

I was quite surprised to see how well rooted these small plants were. Most of them had roots all the way down to the bottom of the cells. I am already seeing them take off some after getting into bigger pots with fresh soil. I can tell I'll be up potting fairly frequently till around 15g.

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2023, 07:52:06 PM »

I was quite surprised to see how well rooted these small plants were. Most of them had roots all the way down to the bottom of the cells. I am already seeing them take off some after getting into bigger pots with fresh soil. I can tell I'll be up potting fairly frequently till around 15g.

Some of these species especially ones from the Caatinga can have maybe 2 inches of top growth and 8 inches of roots. Glad to hear they are already starting to grow well for you.

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2023, 11:24:10 AM »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 11:39:36 AM by Giant Gecko »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2023, 11:31:31 AM »
I guess I should cross post this-

Hey all-

an exciting update-

in Jan of 2021 we received some seeds from forum member Andres Pires in Brazil and in particular some cool guava species

After some lost labels and a few years- one of the tree is producing fruit!

I am pretty sure it is the Psidium sp. Araçá amarelo due to the color of the fruit, but these dropped green and then ripened to yellow of the counter-

ripeness was assessed by smell (like all guavas) and me and NissanVersa tried the fruit today-

I think they are delicious and the seeds are not going to crack your teeth apart- similar in flavor to a mexican cream guava but superior-

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2023, 11:42:22 AM »
Here are some more seedlings that I have growing that I think are interesting too. This Psidium’s fruit report sounds awesome and fewer seeds. The seedling is a bright green color.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 08:35:28 PM by Giant Gecko »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2023, 04:49:37 PM »

We have nice cool cloudy weather for the next 5 days. Perfect time to acclimate to full sun. Psidium in general grows substantially better in full sun for me.

Can’t believe how much the small leaf ones greened up being in new soil.

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2023, 08:02:29 PM »

We have nice cool cloudy weather for the next 5 days. Perfect time to acclimate to full sun. Psidium in general grows substantially better in full sun for me.

Can’t believe how much the small leaf ones greened up being in new soil.

Same here, all the Psidium I grow grows best in full sun.

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2023, 08:12:32 PM »
Psidium sp Varzea Amazon Floodplain. Bellamy has these cheap in the clearance section.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 08:33:23 PM by Giant Gecko »

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2023, 08:31:15 PM »
Psidium sp Caatinga Arboreo This was found as a “ tall” tree compared to the other Psidium in the Caatinga at 10 foot tall. Small green fruits.

Pneuma

• Dont Panic its Organic
    • 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2023, 07:55:09 PM »
Getting spooky 👻
Pink, white, strawberry asking for help the lemon isn’t shy of the cold

"Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.'
-Luther Burbank

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 28, 2023, 11:02:10 PM »
Getting spooky 👻
Pink, white, strawberry asking for help the lemon isn’t shy of the cold

Strawberry guava is as bullet proof as lemon. Send it. Mine were absolutely loaded with snow and didn't defoliate or even blink.

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2023, 10:20:56 AM »

I finally got a chance to taste my home grown Taiwanese ruby seedless guava and Vietnamese Xa Li.

Taiwanese ruby seedless guava is probably ruby crystal. It's very crispy, crunchy, and mildly sweet. Some bite is sweeter than others. I think I may have pick a little prematurely. It's not as dense as Taiwanese seedless guava. Dip with some Tajin and it's really enjoyable. My friend said it's his favorite since it can be really sweet if you fertilize a week before picking it. I'm grafting two more tree to big rootstock.

Vietnamese Xa Li is not as crunchy, but sweeter this year. Both are very enjoyable
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 10:24:08 AM by greenerpasteur »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 09, 2023, 12:59:30 PM »
Guineense sizing up, first fruiting for me

"Skittles" on Guajava is totally compatible, bummer on no fruit for hybrid seeds!

Cas guava came back from the dead, I will protect it this year. It was under snow last year and almost died...

Fern leaf is SUCH a stunner! It really started to speed up finally.

My latest guava pick-ups from Giant Gecko are looking good, I have pretty good confidence most of these will survive.

Orange flesh guajava loading up HARD. I am not thinning as I want small fruits that ripen sooner.

Skittles guava loaded

Fern leaf, minor leaf, and grandifolium all looking good in full sun

« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 01:02:32 PM by K-Rimes »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 09, 2023, 02:44:04 PM »
Guineense sizing up, first fruiting for me

"Skittles" on Guajava is totally compatible, bummer on no fruit for hybrid seeds!

Cas guava came back from the dead, I will protect it this year. It was under snow last year and almost died...

Fern leaf is SUCH a stunner! It really started to speed up finally.

My latest guava pick-ups from Giant Gecko are looking good, I have pretty good confidence most of these will survive.

Orange flesh guajava loading up HARD. I am not thinning as I want small fruits that ripen sooner.

Skittles guava loaded

Fern leaf, minor leaf, and grandifolium all looking good in full sun

that fern leaf is gorgeous

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 03, 2023, 03:51:00 PM »
Psidium robustum: Super delicious fruit with no tannins.  Tones of Banana in this fruit. Very sweet with no tartness nor tannic bitterness found in some other species such as longipetiolatum or cattleianum.

Psidium guinense x: A potential hybrid guinense species. Species confirmed by Leslie Landrum, who believes it to be a guinense or possible hybrid of.  Fruit was delicious. Very nice tart/sweet ratio with only a couple of seeds and lots of flesh! A really beautiful and low growing, but slow plant. Large showy  flowers and absolutely something I want to grow a lot more of.

Psidium longipetiolatum is really not a particularly great fruit. The tree bears heavily, drops sporadically unripe and ripe fruit.  The fruit has a strong tannic eucalyptus-y flavor that is mainly in the skin. The pulp itself is pretty good but ultimately not sure it's really a winner in my book. 
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

SplorKeLZ

• I like fruit :D
    • Seattle WA zone 9a, 13a mini greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 03, 2023, 04:05:26 PM »
I live in Seattle which is zone 8b (side note, i wanted to make sure that seattle was 8b and not 8a i looked it up and apparently we have changed to 9a!) and i heard that strawberry guava P. cattleianum can grow unprotected in-ground here, is that true?

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 03, 2023, 07:42:39 PM »
Ribbed pink guava from SoCal farmers market. Looked like they were selling a mix of fruit from different seedling trees. Grown on a farm in San Diego. 1.5 inch diameter, very fragrant, standard tropical guava taste. Oddly round, like a ball. The ribs are physical depressions in the fruit, six per fruit, equally spaced. Like a star pattern. If you've ever seen a Korean melon these look like tiny round versions of one of those.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 07:53:44 PM by greg_D »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 03, 2023, 09:14:38 PM »
I live in Seattle which is zone 8b (side note, i wanted to make sure that seattle was 8b and not 8a i looked it up and apparently we have changed to 9a!) and i heard that strawberry guava P. cattleianum can grow unprotected in-ground here, is that true?

I think it would do fine, but see if you can find a lemon guava which is the same thing but tastier. Both should do fine, but I would suggest planting close to a wall (south facing) for even better chance.

Mine don't even blink down to 25f which they've visited many times, but I've seen my native Vancouver BC hit 10f, which will indeed damage them. You could get lucky for a few years and not get one of those stabbing cold years, or it could be be the coldest year on record, but overall the zone should be warm enough now. Just make sure you have solutions in place (frost cloth, heaters, greenhouse) or similar when the day comes.

Guavas all grow great in containers, so, you could just wheel it into your garage or something if it happens. All bets are off if planted in ground and you get a killer record frost.

Psidium robustum: Super delicious fruit with no tannins.

Save me some seeds or plants for next year Nate! Looks awesome.

SplorKeLZ

• I like fruit :D
    • Seattle WA zone 9a, 13a mini greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 03, 2023, 11:34:28 PM »

I think it would do fine, but see if you can find a lemon guava which is the same thing but tastier. Both should do fine, but I would suggest planting close to a wall (south facing) for even better chance.

Mine don't even blink down to 25f which they've visited many times, but I've seen my native Vancouver BC hit 10f, which will indeed damage them. You could get lucky for a few years and not get one of those stabbing cold years, or it could be be the coldest year on record, but overall the zone should be warm enough now. Just make sure you have solutions in place (frost cloth, heaters, greenhouse) or similar when the day comes.

Guavas all grow great in containers, so, you could just wheel it into your garage or something if it happens. All bets are off if planted in ground and you get a killer record frost.

Psidium robustum: Super delicious fruit with no tannins.

Save me some seeds or plants for next year Nate! Looks awesome.
Thanks for the info!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2023, 12:06:40 AM »
Does anyone here have some more guava varieties they can hook me up with?
Looking for common guavas...just with names.
Thanks much!
Also, never knew that this thread would gain so much traction.
glad to see the love of psidiums spreading!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2023, 12:44:12 AM »
Thanks much!

I was just at Mimosa, crazy collection of guavas there, picked up ruby supreme. I saw: kilo, vietnamese giant white, century, watermelon, red malaysia, Taiwan white, Thai, Taiwan Ruby, Thai Seedless, Ổi Nữ Hoàng (queen), Ổi Không Hạt Thái Lan, Ổi Mật Thủy Đào, Giống cây ổi tím Malaysia.

I'm going to try to air layer some guava next spring, stay tuned. Will try on skittles, long leaf, guineense, strawberry, lemon, and orange flesh guajava.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 04, 2023, 04:02:13 PM »
Thanks much!

I was just at Mimosa, crazy collection of guavas there, picked up ruby supreme. I saw: kilo, vietnamese giant white, century, watermelon, red malaysia, Taiwan white, Thai, Taiwan Ruby, Thai Seedless, Ổi Nữ Hoàng (queen), Ổi Không Hạt Thái Lan, Ổi Mật Thủy Đào, Giống cây ổi tím Malaysia.

I'm going to try to air layer some guava next spring, stay tuned. Will try on skittles, long leaf, guineense, strawberry, lemon, and orange flesh guajava.
Amazing. Look forward to hearing back later.
if anyone else has some different varietals, I'm always open to buying.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 04, 2023, 04:17:04 PM »
Thanks much!

Amazing. Look forward to hearing back later.
if anyone else has some different varietals, I'm always open to buying.

I have some Patillo Guava seedlings. It is a Mexican variety of guava, pink flesh with a subacid, mild flavor that the University of Florida Extension recommends for home growers. I got the seeds from Trade Winds. Since these are seedlings, they are not guaranteed to grow exactly true to type. You can see a photo of them on my sale page: https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=52354.0.