Author Topic: Lychee harvest  (Read 1697 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Lychee harvest
« on: September 02, 2023, 05:35:10 PM »
My first real harvest of lychee.  Simon planted this air layer from Leo Manuel's Brewster here around 5 years ago.  It has maybe 35 or 40lbs this year.  Pulled 10lbs off a d it's still loaded. 

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
Re: Lychee harvest
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 05:37:37 PM »
Nice fruit, the only downside is the shells on these are really sharp.  I think they are extra sharp and hard from the dry weather here.  The fruit is juicy but the peels are hard and sharp.
Brad Spaugh

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2023, 07:50:37 PM »
Very nice! You are about 6 weeks behind Florida. I believe Simon said that Leo had a Brewster. They have sharp protrubences even in Florida.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2023, 09:22:54 PM »
Beautiful!  I had to cut down my Brewster lychee tree this year due to LEM.  The fruit from mine wasn't that sharp only after opening many lychees did you feel it.  Congratulations!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 09:30:08 PM »
My hands are trashed from doing tile and grout work all week so that's why I'm extra sensitive to this things now.  They are pretty sharp though.  I like the peels on kaimana a lot better.
Brad Spaugh

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 01:44:53 AM »
Nice tree and harvest!

I planted a sweetheart instead of a Brewster and it grows so slowly Iím about to dig it up and plant a different variety. My friends Brewster a few miles away itís giant.

Enjoy that fruit.,. Looks great

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2023, 09:52:26 AM »
Nice tree and harvest!

I planted a sweetheart instead of a Brewster and it grows so slowly Iím about to dig it up and plant a different variety. My friends Brewster a few miles away itís giant.

Have you tried Mauritius?  I like that fruit--very flavorful.  The neighborhood tree is very large, but I don't know if it's a vigorous grower when young.  There's nothing sharp about the exterior of the fruit.
John

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2023, 10:34:57 AM »
Nice Harvest Brad, nice to hear how long it took to fruit from air layer. 8) ;)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2023, 12:48:18 PM »
Nice looking tree, that's a lot of fruits for a 5 year old after planting. Is the seeds small (chicken tongue) or mostly small? I remember Simon saying Leo's tree had mostly small seeds.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2023, 01:22:10 PM »
Nice tree and harvest!

The sweetheart trees i have grow pretty quickly but the brqnches sag and break.  Ive got a "seedless" lychee from ONG nursery and it is still small but fruits super hard.  I actually have a ton of lychee trees and some are getting pretty big but so far only brewster and the seedless are fruiting much. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2023, 01:26:48 PM »
Nice tree and harvest!

Have you tried Mauritius?  I like that fruit--very flavorful.  The neighborhood tree is very large, but I don't know if it's a vigorous grower when young.  There's nothing sharp about the exterior of the fruit.

I think the ones they sell in the store here are maritius.  Im supposed to have a tree of that variety but wont really know for sure uitil they fruit if they were labeled correctly.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2023, 02:49:20 PM »
Nice looking tree, that's a lot of fruits for a 5 year old after planting. Is the seeds small (chicken tongue) or mostly small? I remember Simon saying Leo's tree had mostly small seeds.

Brad Spaugh

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2023, 03:00:56 PM »
Epic! Great looking harvest , nice team work.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2023, 07:09:31 PM »
Nice.

I have brewster, mauritius, and hak ip.  I did not water enough, and the flowers drops almost all.  Will do better next year.

I plan to plant more of them.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2023, 10:47:57 PM »
Looks good.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2023, 11:13:43 PM »

That is a great ratio of chicken tongue seeds for Brewster! One year we had a Brewster tree that had all abortive seeds--the next year they were back to normal. Never figured out why. Also, as we got more varieties coming into bloom and had more cross pollination we had better fruit set but fewer abortive seeds.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2023, 12:15:21 AM »
The last time I saw Bradís trees, I was surprised at how well they were growing.  I canít seem to get mine kick started and I live in a similar climate.  I have killed a ton of seedlings and had no luck with air layers.  Iím probably planting them when theyíre too small even though I have them under shade cloth.  Or fertilizing them wrong.  Whatever, Iím going to keep trying because I want raw fingers from peeling so many Brewster lychees. 
Lychees have to be one of the most beautiful trees when full of ripe fruit. Nice haul Spaugh!

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2023, 05:13:41 AM »
The last time I saw Bradís trees, I was surprised at how well they were growing.  I canít seem to get mine kick started and I live in a similar climate.  I have killed a ton of seedlings and had no luck with air layers.  Iím probably planting them when theyíre too small even though I have them under shade cloth.  Or fertilizing them wrong.  Whatever, Iím going to keep trying because I want raw fingers from peeling so many Brewster lychees. 
Lychees have to be one of the most beautiful trees when full of ripe fruit. Nice haul Spaugh!

I can totally relate, Brad somehow makes it seem like an easy job :) I tried store bought varieties Mexican seeds but they were never happy. Is Brewster supposed to be the most high pH tolerant rootstock?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2023, 01:12:06 PM »

Some of my trees were mail order 1 gal air layers and others were 3 or 7 gal.  The 1 gal ones take a while to get going but then thry will go.  I used 30% shade on them until the tree is about 3x3 ft. Other than that it is pretty much drop them in the ground and keep it watered and just wait.  They dont seem very picky.

And lots of mulch.  And for fertilizer I used cottonseed meal, avocado citrus, raw chicken poop, iron sulfate. 
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2023, 05:01:47 PM »
Thanks for the update Brad. I was going to call you to see what percentage of the fruit has chicken tongue seeds but I can see from your pictures that you are getting about 50% chicken tongue seeds. Thatís a very promising sign. Other Brewster trees Iíve harvested from generally have about 5% chicken tongue seeds do there could be something special with Leoís Brewster but we have to evaluate it over the coming years to see if this high proportion of chicken tongue seeds continues.

This tree is still small and I can imagine how much fruit it will produce once it gets big. Great growing Brad, I canít wait for all the other varieties to start fruiting.

Simon

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2023, 05:55:34 PM »
As far as Alkalinity and tough sandy conditions tolerance, are Brewster roots in general the gold standard or is Leo Manuel's specifically that wins the game.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2023, 06:20:14 PM »
Both Brewster and Mauritius do fine on less than ideal pH soils. The closer you can get the trees to around 6.5, the better but if you have a heavy mulch layer or if you top dress with some compost, it can tolerate higher pH. I also inoculated Leoís Brewster (the one I planted at Brads) with beneficial mycorrhizal fungus. I also inoculated the air layers from Leoís original Brewster tree with soil from the root zone of the original, in ground, Leo Brewster from Leoís house before it died.

The thing that makes Leoís Brewster special is that a bunch of people noticed that his tree produced a very high number of chicken tongue seeds. Brewster Lychees are super juicy, extremely fragrant, very sweet and delicious but they have large seeds. There is a low percentage of edible flesh compared to seed. For some reason, Leoís Brewster produces a very high percentage of chicken tongue seeds. It appears that this year, Brads crop is roughly 50% chicken tongue seeds and his tree is still small. The percentage of chicken tongue seeds is supposed to increase when the tree gets bigger. In some years, Leoís original Brewster produced 70-90% chicken tongue seeds. Brewster Lychees also have very little tannin or medicinal taste which makes it an excellent tasting variety.

FYI, Leoís huge Brewster has died and there are only a few clones left that I know of.

Simon

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2023, 06:39:58 PM »
The Bruster lychee fruit I recieved from Kaz near Fullerton about a week a go were delicious and very juicy. About 30-40% of the fruit had a chicken seed or a very small seed. 40-45% of the fruit had the standard large seed. The remainder were somewhere inbetween with a medium seed.

I also noticed the smaller the fruit size was the more likely the chicken tongue was present. The smaller fruit were better with more flesh.

My three yeard old Brewster tree is flushing now so looking foward to more fruit in a few years. Lychee trees love water so I water mine frequently.

Johnny
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 06:45:08 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2023, 06:49:15 PM »
The Bruster lychee fruit I recieved from Kaz near Fullerton about a week a go were delicious and very juicy. About 30-40% of the fruit had a chicken seed or a very small seed. 40-45% of the fruit had the standard large seed. The remainder were somewhere inbetween with a medium seed.

I also noticed the smaller the fruit size was the more likely the chicken tongue was present. The smaller fruit were better with more flesh.

My three yeard old Brewster tree is flushing now so looking foward to more fruit in a few years. Lychee trees love water so I water mine frequently.

Johnny

Johnny, thatís great to hear that Kaz gets a high percentage of chicken tongue seeds on his Brewster, that is not normal for Brewsters. For anyone growing Lychee trees, I thick mulch layer around the drip line of the tree will significantly increase the health of the tree. Lychees also love Iron.

Simon

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2023, 06:56:03 PM »
Iron is not a problem as I apply Azomite at least twice a year for all of the essencial trace ellements for all of my fruit trees.

Johnny
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 07:06:03 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk