Author Topic: When and where to tip a mango  (Read 335 times)

Stinkfist

• USA Ohio 6a
    • View Profile
When and where to tip a mango
« on: September 26, 2023, 12:52:52 PM »
Got this Cotton Candy mango a few months ago, it has had one flush and is about 18 tall. Should tip it now? Or wait till it gets a little taller? It will be staying in pots and inside in a grow tent, do plan to keep it small. Also where are you supposed to cut when you tip it? Above or below? I have heard both.

Thanks

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
Re: When and where to tip a mango
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 03:21:17 PM »
Tip it just above where you want branches to emerge. If you want branches at the current height, then take off the tip and enough stem to remove a couple of leaves. It seems rather short/small to me, but I don't know how much height you have to work with.

Stinkfist

• USA Ohio 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 07:42:05 PM »
Tip it just above where you want branches to emerge. If you want branches at the current height, then take off the tip and enough stem to remove a couple of leaves. It seems rather short/small to me, but I don't know how much height you have to work with.

I have about 7-7.5 feet until I run out

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 10:10:25 PM »
Looks like you want a bush and not a tree.
Check out this link  https://youtu.be/ZlhF-YphevA?si=D44LdQGTZZ7NOYmA

Stinkfist

• USA Ohio 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 11:09:03 PM »
Looks like you want a bush and not a tree.
Check out this link  https://youtu.be/ZlhF-YphevA?si=D44LdQGTZZ7NOYmA

Yeah this is the video I saw where I thought it might be time to tip it, I may wait for the next flush to harden then tip it?

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 10:19:24 AM »
The way he's tipping he'll be lucky if he doesn't tip a finger. I think he's going a bit overboard to make a point. It won't hurt to slow down and get it right. Especially for guys like most of us with a handfull of trees.

It does make me think about when to start tipping my first year trees that have about 5-9 flushes this year. I have tipped a few at about 2-3ft. I want 7-8ft tall trees. So I think it's time to start.

Tony714

• Fountain Valley OC , SOCAL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 11:40:22 AM »
if you just got this few months ago, you don't know seller just transplanted or up potted it.  I would wait to make sure it's adapt to your area, healthy and push out new growth. 
as far as tipping it, knee high is good too depending on your goal.   i am Socal dont have much space, i tip it at knee high or lower depend on fruit tree and location.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 11:46:09 AM by Tony714 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk