Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Low chill plums with a juicy texture?

(1/2) > >>

LostBoy_Dani:
Hi all! I'm a new gardener in SoCal in zone 10A. I've been looking for a plum tree, but am getting some mixed info online and from local nurseries. I was going to try for a Santa Rosa, but am now hearing that they may not be as low chill as previously thought, and have been unreliable producers. Does anyone have varieties that can live with very low chill hours, and has a juicy texture? Texture is honestly more important than taste for me with plums, if I'm not needing to eat it over a sink I don't want it haha

Thanks for your guidance!

mangoba:

--- Quote from: LostBoy_Dani on March 10, 2023, 10:49:54 AM ---Hi all! I'm a new gardener in SoCal in zone 10A. I've been looking for a plum tree, but am getting some mixed info online and from local nurseries. I was going to try for a Santa Rosa, but am now hearing that they may not be as low chill as previously thought, and have been unreliable producers. Does anyone have varieties that can live with very low chill hours, and has a juicy texture? Texture is honestly more important than taste for me with plums, if I'm not needing to eat it over a sink I don't want it haha

--- End quote ---

How much chill do you get? Shiro is considered low chill and quite juicy when ripe.

LostBoy_Dani:

--- Quote from: mangoba on March 12, 2023, 07:18:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: LostBoy_Dani on March 10, 2023, 10:49:54 AM ---Hi all! I'm a new gardener in SoCal in zone 10A. I've been looking for a plum tree, but am getting some mixed info online and from local nurseries. I was going to try for a Santa Rosa, but am now hearing that they may not be as low chill as previously thought, and have been unreliable producers. Does anyone have varieties that can live with very low chill hours, and has a juicy texture? Texture is honestly more important than taste for me with plums, if I'm not needing to eat it over a sink I don't want it haha

--- End quote ---

How much chill do you get? Shiro is considered low chill and quite juicy when ripe.

--- End quote ---

We got a much higher number this year than usual (I think like 500?), but most years we have been getting around 300.

1rainman:
I live in south Florida. We used to have a supposed low chill hour plum. It never did well. Too hot here. It got one plum once. California summer is not as hot so might do better. But yes they over sell them. Plums and apples just don't do well in hot climates.

palingkecil:
Pluots do really well in my yard, which is mostly hot and dry zone 10A, and I like it better than my Burgundy plum, Emerald drop plum, and Santa Rosa Plum.
Pluots are as juicy as plums, but with more complex flavor, and their texture stays nice and crunchy even when they overripe, unlike plums that will turn soft and mushy.
Dapple Dandy and Flavor Queen fruit heavily just 2nd year in the ground, and I just bought another Flavor Grenade. Call or email Bay Laurel Nursery, they have a great selection of pluots, low prices, healthy trees, and good customer service.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version