Author Topic: Osmocote Plus is cheap on Amazon right now  (Read 4230 times)

yimnvs

• USA, CA, San Leandro, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Osmocote Plus is cheap on Amazon right now
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2021, 07:24:23 PM »
These good for tropicals?  Or should I just stick with organic granular and some chelated Iron and Manganese?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2021, 08:29:48 PM »
Too cheap to pass

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2021, 10:15:31 AM »
Too cheap to pass

Same, can't resist the deal.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2021, 11:15:41 AM »
These good for tropicals?  Or should I just stick with organic granular and some chelated Iron and Manganese?

I use osmocote for all tropicals, not just citrus

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2021, 08:15:23 AM »
Before I made a purchase, I noticed many reviews stating the new formula has micro-plastics. Anyone have more info on this?

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2021, 10:04:04 PM »
Osmocote, as others have said means lots of plastic pellets all over the soil and EDTA ( not easily biodegradable). I’m going to try lots of organic chicken manure and fish emulsion.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2021, 01:49:48 PM »
I like Osmocote plus slow release fertilizer.  Using it along with  conventional NPK fertilizers reduces the highs and lows of nutrition.  Great product.

Empower, be careful of chicken manure, it contains high levels of soluble salts. Manure should never be applied fresh, Poultry manures are about twice as rich as that of horse, cow and pig manure. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 01:59:55 PM by Millet »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2021, 03:31:17 PM »
The problem with micro plastics is the micro ones that you can't see, often from other sources.
I think you have to keep in mind the balance of the advantages of the slow release pills vs the negatives.
There are also effects of fertiliser run off to the environment, or loss of Nitrogen to the atmosphere which is wasteful of the manufacturing processes.
Slow release fertilisers can reduce this if used correctly.
Not saying the dead pills are not a problem.
There are other slow release fertiliser technologies, not all are coated products.

Composted chicken manure pellets, with added Zeolite are available in Australia.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2021, 04:35:44 PM »
I have been applying fresh chicken manure from my organic chickens to my trees with no ill effects. I think it’s more problematic for plants than trees and pot as opposed to in ground.

In terms of micro plastics they are everywhere. All we can hope is that a life form evolves to consume it at the microscopic level. I try to avoid plastic but its futile. Just make smarter choices when possible.

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2021, 08:18:31 AM »
I have been applying fresh chicken manure from my organic chickens to my trees with no ill effects. I think it’s more problematic for plants than trees and pot as opposed to in ground.

In terms of micro plastics they are everywhere. All we can hope is that a life form evolves to consume it at the microscopic level. I try to avoid plastic but its futile. Just make smarter choices when possible.

Same here. All my manure is added the same day I clean out the rabbit and quail cages. Other than foliar sprays in winter and homemade compost, the plants thrive perfectly fine. It is worrisome that so many members are okay with the added plastic in their ferts that inevitably they consume  :o