Author Topic: Best Options for Preserving Jackfruit  (Read 842 times)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Best Options for Preserving Jackfruit
« on: December 15, 2021, 10:35:27 PM »
The idea for this topic came to me while reading another thread. One of the big challenges with Jacks is that they come in such large packages. As has been pointed out, it can be hard to eat that much fruit before it goes bad. Here is what has worked for me:

1). Clean the jackfruit
2). Freeze the jackfruit in quantities you can eat before it spoils
3). Thaw and enjoy

Remarkably, I have noticed very little change in texture with frozen and thawed jackfruit, but I have not kept it for long periods of time. Please feel free to comment and add other ideas or thoughts.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Best Options for Preserving Jackfruit
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 10:56:44 PM »
dried jackfruit is a pretty tasty and easily stored treat, even if it gets a bit jerky-like

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 11:39:36 PM »
I wouldn't call this preserving but I made ice cream with some the other day and it was freaking delicious. I used a basic no churn ice cream recipe which is 2 cups of whipping cream whipped to stiff peaks then fold in one can of sweetened condensed milk mixed with fruit puree and whatever else. I added 24 ounces of pureed jackfruit and some vanilla. It was pretty awesome. I mixed the fruit puree, the vanilla and the sweetened condensed milk together before folding it into the whipped cream. It's a super easy recipe, I made it with just a blender and a hand mixer.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 08:02:00 AM »
The cleaned jackfruit can be kept in the fridge for a week or so and still be very good. I agree that freezing jakfruit works well.
But what we mostly do is dehydrate it. Our best results come from very soft jackfruit. I sell the dried jakfruit at the farmers market, often chopped up with dried bananas mixed in. Lately, that’s been selling out every Saturday.
Peter

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 11:17:17 PM »
I wouldn't call this preserving but I made ice cream with some the other day and it was freaking delicious. I used a basic no churn ice cream recipe which is 2 cups of whipping cream whipped to stiff peaks then fold in one can of sweetened condensed milk mixed with fruit puree and whatever else. I added 24 ounces of pureed jackfruit and some vanilla. It was pretty awesome. I mixed the fruit puree, the vanilla and the sweetened condensed milk together before folding it into the whipped cream. It's a super easy recipe, I made it with just a blender and a hand mixer.

Wow! That looks awesome!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 11:18:56 PM »
dried jackfruit is a pretty tasty and easily stored treat, even if it gets a bit jerky-like

Drying sounds good.

The cleaned jackfruit can be kept in the fridge for a week or so and still be very good. I agree that freezing jakfruit works well.
But what we mostly do is dehydrate it. Our best results come from very soft jackfruit. I sell the dried jakfruit at the farmers market, often chopped up with dried bananas mixed in. Lately, that’s been selling out every Saturday.
Peter

That sounds a lot like how I like to dehydrate pineapple. It turns out best when the fruit is really ripe.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 11:22:04 PM by Galatians522 »

jimreevescairns

• Cairns, Far North Queensland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 03:47:06 PM »
I found that dehydrating my jackfruit made it lose a large amount of its flavour - assuming the aromatic esters that go. Freezing seems to keep more flavour

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 01:46:22 AM »
I found that dehydrating my jackfruit made it lose a large amount of its flavour - assuming the aromatic esters that go. Freezing seems to keep more flavour
What kind of dehydrator? I've found that air circulator drying (box fan) has better results than using heat, at least for preserving acidity.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk