Author Topic: Should I change the potting soil for my Marula (Sclerocarya birrea) seedlings?  (Read 188 times)

djseaquist

• United States, California, Escondido, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I recently transplanted my Marula (Sclerocarya birrea) seedlings to 1 gallon pots using organic potting soil. They are doing fine and even showing some new growth. However, I am concerned about drainage since I read they grow in sandy or sandy loam soil in their natural habitat.

Should I change the soil now or wait till the Marulas get bigger and change the soil when transplanting into a bigger pot?

rosiewilsonnsjh

• USA
    • View Profile
It's great to hear that your Marula seedlings are doing well and showing new growth! As for the soil, it's important to provide good drainage for the plants, especially since they are used to growing in sandy or sandy loam soil in their natural habitat. If the organic potting soil you used doesn't drain well, you may want to consider changing the soil now to prevent any issues later on. However, if the seedlings are small and the pots are still relatively small, you could wait until they outgrow their current pots and then transplant them into a larger pot with well-draining soil. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what would be best for your plants based on their current size and growth rate.Connections Game

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
I use a mixture of 2/3 raised bed potting mix, and 1/3 perlite and mine do great in it.  Then just don't over-water them.  I also cover the surface of the pot with small chunk bark as a water-breaker so the perlite doesn't all drift to the surface.

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk