Author Topic: Help - Satsuma Mandarin in Trouble  (Read 744 times)

ccbnd

• USA, California, Bay Area, 10b
    • View Profile
Help - Satsuma Mandarin in Trouble
« on: May 08, 2022, 12:35:40 AM »
Hello - hoping I could get some guidance as I have a very special tree not doing well. 

Our satsuma has been in the ground for a few years.  Over the last few weeks, it’s starting to decline and the last few days have seen lots of leaves curl inward, some are yellow and they are dropping to the ground and some of the leaf tips are brown and dry.  Please see photos below. 

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.  Could be a water issue (too little?  Too much?) or perhaps something else. 

Your help is appreciated.  Thank you!

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Satsuma Mandarin in Trouble
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 03:17:58 PM »
 It really doesn’t look that bad. It’s putting a lot of energy into flowering/fruiting and I find certain trees don’t look their best as nutrients are going toward fruit production. A nice foliage feeding or a time release fertilizer might be of assistance.

Are you seeing pests or bugs on the leaves? If so take a picture and with proper identification it can be resolved.

With regards to watering, citrus hate overwatering. Soggy roots are a no no for just about all trees but citrus and avocado are especially vulnerable to soggy roots (rootstock also needs to be considered).

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Satsuma Mandarin in Trouble
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 04:18:20 PM »
I agree the tree doesn't look all that bad.  Note: the highest period of leaf fall for a citrus tree is during flowering.   Your tree does look a little undernourished.  A three year old citrus tree should be fertilized 4 times a year equally spaced out during the growing season (March - September).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 04:21:16 PM by Millet »