Author Topic: Persimmons report. How's your fruit set this season  (Read 3089 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Persimmons report. How's your fruit set this season
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2022, 11:42:27 AM »
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 08:58:39 AM by sc4001992 »

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2022, 09:00:25 PM »
I ordered a Suruga from Lemon Citrus Tree and the tree arrived with a fruit on it!

Unfortunately, the branch the fruit was on was broken. I wrapped the branch in grafting tape and hope it heals or helps long enough to have the fruit ripen . . .

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2022, 03:04:46 AM »
That tree is not big enough to let the fruit go to full size and ripeness. I would just cut off the fruit and save the broken branch. You should have no problem saving the branch if you cut off the fruit, remove most of the small branches and leaves on that broken branch and wrap it up immediately with parafilm, then use the green stretch tape and wrap it tightly at the broken section. I saved many fruit tree branches that break similarly. Don't remove the tape until you see that the crack has fully mended. You may need to add additional support to keep the branch in the correct position until it is healed.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2022, 07:51:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I’ll take a look around and see what I can find.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2022, 06:23:40 PM »
Should I thin the fruit or will the tree self thin? Looks to be a big crop but I'm afraid the tree might snap from the weight? Already swapped those skinny bamboo sticks with some pvc pipe lol

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2022, 01:45:08 AM »
Should I thin the fruit or will the tree self thin? Looks to be a big crop but I'm afraid the tree might snap from the weight? Already swapped those skinny bamboo sticks with some pvc pipe lol

you're  still at the flowering stage, many of those flowers will probably fall after flowering. Thats what mine do .....

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2022, 11:04:36 AM »
ah yes that's true, this tree has dropped it's fruit for the last two years. Never had this many flowers so hoping it keeps some fruit

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2022, 01:52:24 PM »
something hit our fuyu and now we only have 1 left-

a lot of the flowers seemed to dry up after the thinning and then drop

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2022, 07:28:31 PM »
I'm still in the may "they might maybe they might not stage". Looks like lots of potentials on the 2 Nikita's gifts. Not much on the Rossyankas and most of them have dropped. Are the buds only supposed to be on the new growth?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 02:49:49 PM by CarolinaZone »

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2022, 02:17:04 PM »
Sorry I don't know about those varieties CarolinaZone or if it varies for grafted/nongrafted. Mine is grafted, and I just leave it alone and it fruits fine.

Glad you figured out the variety puglvr1. Fruit usually ripens here in fall, last year it started early October, will see how things go this year with hurricane season.

Thinking of ordering trees from Ison's next season, https://www.isons.com/product-category/fruit-trees/persimmons/. They don't have a huge selection but seem reasonably priced (the local nurseries mostly start at $50+ anymore). Thinking of just 2 varieties spaced far apart so that seeds won't be an issue.

If anyone else has good online tree sources, would be interested to know.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 02:20:22 PM by RS »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2022, 08:09:02 PM »
2nd year having fruit set. All of them aborted except one. Was hoping it would at least carry one this year. The last one fell off today hopefully as the tree gets mature it will carry some fruit

« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 08:11:29 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2022, 11:19:09 AM »
Sorry I don't know about those varieties CarolinaZone or if it varies for grafted/nongrafted. Mine is grafted, and I just leave it alone and it fruits fine.

Glad you figured out the variety puglvr1. Fruit usually ripens here in fall, last year it started early October, will see how things go this year with hurricane season.

Thinking of ordering trees from Ison's next season, https://www.isons.com/product-category/fruit-trees/persimmons/. They don't have a huge selection but seem reasonably priced (the local nurseries mostly start at $50+ anymore). Thinking of just 2 varieties spaced far apart so that seeds won't be an issue.

If anyone else has good online tree sources, would be interested to know.

Hi RS, yeah me too  :) ...I'm glad I know the variety now than having to wait till next year or more to find out what I have. I purchased my Fuyu from a nursery that is located in north central FL but their prices for Persimmon trees start at $55 but his trees are very healthy and good size. They just happen to come to the MRFC Rare Fruit Tree Sale that was held in Lakewood Ranch back in early May and I was glad because it was closer for me to drive there than their nursery north of Orlando.

Bovine, I'm sorry to hear that your last fruit dropped, it was good size too. I wouldn't have guessed that once they get that size they can still drop? Best of luck that next year will be better.

"Are the buds only supposed to be on the new growth?"
CarolinaZone, I found this link that does say "Persimmon forms only on new growths"
https://rickshory.wordpress.com/2018/12/16/little-persimmon-tree/#:~:text=Where%20do%20the%20persimmons%20come,petaled%20flowers%2C%20typically%20creamy%20white. 

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2022, 05:02:10 PM »
Fruit dropping 😭

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2022, 10:13:21 AM »
How's  that for a potted plant, a real heavy bloom

First time seeing bees on the flowers...

RS

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2022, 12:40:06 PM »
Fruit dropping 😭

That's too bad. Is your tree getting enough sunlight? It sounds like insufficient sunlight, crowded branches and excessive shoot growth can cause fruit drop.

Found another pruning resource that recommends thinning branches in young trees to about one foot of space between them to increase the amount of sunlight that reaches the fruit: https://www.wilsonbrosgardens.com/how-to-prune-a-persimmon-tree.html

My tree has only needed the sucker root pruning, which is consistent with it's age (over 5 years).

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2022, 02:15:52 PM »
thanks for that bit of info! it's in full sun but the tree is only in its 3rd season. fruit is parthenocarpic "jiro" & there aren't any other persimmons to pollinate it so they will be seedless. i do get root suckers from the rootstock which i am assuming is american persimmon. there are still a lot of fruit hanging but last two years they held only until August so i am not counting them yet lol

edit: this right is here is probably the cause "In certain persimmon varieties, parthenocarpically produced fruit is highly susceptible to dropping from the tree before it matures."

Since I had so many blooms, hoping I have a higher chance of holding some fruit to maturity this year.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 02:26:51 PM by vnomonee »

RS

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2022, 12:20:23 PM »
Update: tree is looking very sad post-hurricane but most of the fruit managed to hold on and is ripening. There's a lot of black (fungus?) on the skin that I peel off since it doesn't readily wash away, but the fruit otherwise seems fine.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2022, 03:01:53 PM »
I also had severe fruit drop on all of my plants, two potted ones and one inground that was planted in the spring.
I had fruit drop on like 2 or 3 waves.
The inground fuyu had 3 fruit up until 2 weeks ago, 2 of them fell..
Potted fuyu also dropped around 5-10 fruits at a verry late stage, its doing the best thought and now has nice regular to big sized 12 or so fruits, of course both of the potted ones also had a strong fruit drop around end of june i think.

Potted astringent persi which i would assume is hachia variety had an ennormous fruit drop , probably 80-100 fruitlets fell at the start, slowly progressing until i was left with 5 fruits that gained in size, up to 2 weeks ago when 2 of them also fell, nice big fruits...
The 3 plants have been quite synchronized in the way they drop their fruits. I still think that i overfed them in spring so i aided for the fruit drop probably , no fertilizing for them next year!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 03:05:29 PM by Plantinyum »