Author Topic: How to NOT advertise fruit  (Read 1360 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
How to NOT advertise fruit
« on: December 06, 2022, 05:43:41 PM »
I L-O-V-E persimmons, I mean as much as any top tier fruit I've tried but the Cali persimmon industry does themselves no favor with the horribly incorrect and misleading package verbiage...

"Sweet Honey Flavor, Ready to eat NOW" 

Imagine Chiquita putting THAT on their GREEN, hard, immature bananas? 

No, these persimmon will not be ready for weeks until they get squishy like an over ripe tomato, after that? WOW!!!  :-)  Egads, the persimmons in the pic will be astringent and destroy any possibility of persimmon growers gaining a repeat buyer! 

Regards,

Gary

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Re: How to NOT advertise fruit
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 09:11:15 AM »
I have had firm persimmon that were very sweet and pleasant though.
Is this type only good to eat once very soft?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 01:17:51 PM »
But did you try one?  :blank:

Green bananas are plenty edible, FWIW
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 01:21:04 PM by Vegan Potato Man »

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 04:06:16 PM »
I thought Hachiya could be treated with CO2 to remove astringency. Are those at publix? I need to go grab a bag. I have some ripening on the counter but they're taking weeks.

https://growingfruit.org/t/processing-astringent-american-persimmons/39796/9
- Val

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 09:30:00 PM »
I thought Hachiya could be treated with CO2 to remove astringency. Are those at publix? I need to go grab a bag. I have some ripening on the counter but they're taking weeks.

Yes, they are available at publix.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 09:47:43 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 03:30:11 PM »
Honeys must be a new persimmon brand being carried by Publix. I purchased a bag earlier this week, the day before gnappi's post. However, mine were all soft and properly ripened. They truly were ready to eat, good quality Hachiya persimmons. So were the other bags at my Publix.

I agree with gnappi that this is not a good idea but for a completely different reason. Ripe persimmons are very fragile. Nearly all of them had damage of some sort. Whereas the unripened ones I bought earlier in the fall are in excellent shape, though some of them are still not ready to eat. I like the basic premise of what the Honeys brand is trying to do. Perhaps if they packaged these persimmons in clamshell containers with individual compartments, to prevent crushing, bumping, bruising, etc., then I would be completely on board with what they're selling.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 05:10:30 PM »
My guess is they've been treated to remove astringency. It's probably supply chain delays causing them to show up when softening, I've encountered a bit of that this year with pears, buy the time they get to the store they're just soft enough to be destroyed by the checkout bagger.

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2022, 12:56:42 AM »
Where I live, most persimmons you can buy in the grocery stores are of the Rojo Brillante variety, which is normally astringent but these ones are always treated to remove astringency and you can eat them immediately, like they were Fuyus. So I'm pretty sure people who produce Honeys have done the same and wouldn't be so insane to claim how a fully astringent persimmon is "ready to eat NOW", because their business would not last for very long if they did that.

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2022, 07:38:57 PM »
I picked up some of these from Publix when hard in November and waited many weeks for them to soften. The 2nd one I had was squishy but not squishy enough. Got a nice mouth full of cotton!

dm

• Miami-Dade County, FL - Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 04:04:48 PM »
My post is a little late but. . .

I bought several bags of these Honeys from Publix over a few weeks during the season, some bags were hard and some were softer.
None were astringent, so whatever they did to them worked.