Author Topic: Best Indian/West Indian flavor mango for central FL 9b  (Read 322 times)

DocTropical

• Orlando, FL USA - 9b
    • View Profile
Best Indian/West Indian flavor mango for central FL 9b
« on: July 31, 2023, 03:19:45 PM »
What is the best Indian/West Indian flavor mango variety for the Orlando area, northern zone 9b? I have tried and love kesar, son pari, ice cream, Angie etc. but donít know how they will grow in ground here. I have also heard excellent things about white pirie and am considering purchasing a tree.

Does anyone have experience growing these types of mangos?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Best Indian/West Indian flavor mango for central FL 9b
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 05:12:03 PM »
 Super Julie is a *very* vigorous grower with spreading dense canopy. It appears to possess above average anthracnose resistance and can fruit in humid areas. The trees do flower very easily and have been fairly resistant to powdery mildew
You want a tree with a dense canopy to retain heat during a frost and freeze a vigorous grower to recover from frosting freeze. And a tree that has ease of Bloom for these erratic winters we have sometimes with extreme highs and low temperatures. All mangoes will grow well in Central Florida. You should definitely consider growing Carrie for early fruit and all the ones you mentioned are excellent.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 05:13:56 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 07:57:49 PM »
What is the best Indian/West Indian flavor mango variety for the Orlando area, northern zone 9b? I have tried and love kesar, son pari, ice cream, Angie etc. but donít know how they will grow in ground here. I have also heard excellent things about white pirie and am considering purchasing a tree.

Does anyone have experience growing these types of mangos?

Tropical Acres has quite the collection of  Indian mangoes available. There are several that struggle to flower down this way because of our warm winter weather.  Mango varieties sourced from  Northern India should do well for you. You may want to check his website.

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 08:08:44 PM »