Author Topic: bought some Spanish Lime fruit (genip, mamoncillo, Melicoccus bijugatus)  (Read 397 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
I was always interested in this fruit but had never seen it available for sale.  I bought a grafted hermaphrodite tree but it is painfully slow growing, and I'm not confident it will ever make it to fruiting.  The other day I noticed Lara Farms is selling the fruit so I ordered a box, and it just arrived today.  They seem very fresh.

It tastes nice.  As described, there is little flesh but what there is is juicy and sweet, and adheres to the large seed.  The taste reminds me more of soursop than citrus lime, and the experience of trying to get the flesh off the seed was much like eating soursop for me. 

If you bite into the fruit with the skin on there is a slight pressure inside that easily splits the skin like an egg and it comes right off.  I would say eating a bowlful of them is about the same effort as eating cherries, maybe a little more work.

I'm really happy I got to try them.  They seem like they would be a nice novelty tree to grow, especially if a single hermaphrodite tree can fruit in a container at a reasonably small size (no idea if this is actually possible).  I don't think I would bother trying to grow a big tree with a large amount of them, though. 

they still have more if anyone is interested, $9/lb for 5lbs:  https://larafarmsmiami.com/products/mamoncillo-aka-guenip-aka-spanish-lime

« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 09:36:57 PM by brian »

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
I bought them a few years ago from Lara. It looks like they started packaging them better. I received them all in a wrapped plastic bag and they were all slimy. The few I decided to eat were good but the fruit you got looks primo

MadFarm

• Royal Palm Beach, FL 10b
    • View Profile
All the one's I've seen producing are large trees. I'm sure Julian could give you some insight. I have 2 from seed around 4 years old that are about 4-5 feet tall, very slow growing, and don't tolerate any cold whatsoever. Good luck with yours

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
I bought them a few years ago from Lara. It looks like they started packaging them better. I received them all in a wrapped plastic bag and they were all slimy. The few I decided to eat were good but the fruit you got looks primo

Yeah it seems paper is the way to go for fresh fruit.  I had shipped some kumquats (for seeds) in plastic baggies and the recipient told me they got moldy quick.

MadFarm, the tree I have is also from Julian Lara, same cultivar as the fruit.  At this point I'll just be happy to see it keep growing and if it gets too big without fruiting I will worry about that then :) 

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
All the one's I've seen producing are large trees. I'm sure Julian could give you some insight. I have 2 from seed around 4 years old that are about 4-5 feet tall, very slow growing, and don't tolerate any cold whatsoever. Good luck with yours

Yup- ultra tropical- the fruit is nice but too much work- there are supposed to be hermaphrodite clones with much better seed to flesh ratio but the name escapes me.. San something from PR IIRC

daisyguy

• Gainesville, Florida (North Central Florida)
    • View Profile
there are supposed to be hermaphrodite clones with much better seed to flesh ratio but the name escapes me.. San something from PR IIRC

Sasa

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
Sweet sasa from PR is the best. Fairchild a more sour versión

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk