Author Topic: Lemon Drop Mangosteen size?  (Read 404 times)

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
Lemon Drop Mangosteen size?
« on: September 09, 2023, 03:54:09 PM »
Hello TFF friends,

My Lemon Drop has been fruiting for about 6 months and they are nice flavored, sweet and sour.

However, Iíve heard that most lemon drop fruits are like apricot/plum size and mine are all maxed out at grape size.

Is a grape-size lemon drop fruit normal and just  a different seedling? Or is it abnormal? Any help is appreciated thanks.

miked

• Palm Beach
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Drop Mangosteen size?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 04:10:37 PM »
I have never seen a plum sized lemon drop. The looks like Garcinia intermedia and mine are a similar size. I have another one thatís called Garcinia brasilensis and it has bigger fruit but no where near an apricot or plum. Iíll see if I have any pictures. I just ate fruit from both trees recently

Garcinia xanthochymus has larger yellow fruits and have a lemony flavor as well  but are much more sour and have a yellow flesh instead of white. They are bigger and maybe the size of a small apricot.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 06:45:08 PM »
Abe I am interested to hear how large and how old your lemon drop tree is.  I have some of these growing and I wonder how long until they will flower.

The fruit looks very nice, at that size do you eat the whole thing?  Peel it?  Squeeze for juice?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 07:37:11 PM »
Our 2 trees get bigger sized fruit than that, but not by much. Maybe double size on the big ones. Never seen plum sized fruits on g intermedia. That must be another garcinia.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 12:02:24 AM »
Abe I am interested to hear how large and how old your lemon drop tree is.  I have some of these growing and I wonder how long until they will flower.

The fruit looks very nice, at that size do you eat the whole thing?  Peel it?  Squeeze for juice?

The tree is about 4.5 Ft tall now atleast 3 ft wide at most points top to bottom. I planted it in ground 2018 but was given to me by my buddy as 6 inch tall potted seedling in 2017. I just peel them, pop them in my mouth and suck off the flesh and spit out seed, as the seed is probably 65 or 70 percent of the fruit without skin.

My achacha is just as old but bigger and no flowers yet. Lemon drop continues to flower non stop.

Thanks to all yíall for the help.

miked

• Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 09:15:36 AM »

These are the two types of lemon drops I have. Tree with the larger one fruited for the first time this year. The smaller one has fruited 2/3 seasons