Author Topic: Question about greenhouse heater and fan.  (Read 197 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Question about greenhouse heater and fan.
« on: November 09, 2023, 10:08:33 AM »
Hi,
I have a small heater and a  desk fan connected to the same outlet for the greenhouse. I notice that whenever the heater is on, the fan speed drops a little bit and returns to full strength when heater is off. Is this setupe safe, electrically?
Thanks,

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Question about greenhouse heater and fan.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 12:55:37 PM »
Heaters have much more draw than a fan, so, you'll seem some loss in the fan speed. If it ever gets too much for the circuit you'll pop the breaker.

I wouldn't worry about it, personally.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 02:10:00 PM »
Hi,
I have a small heater and a  desk fan connected to the same outlet for the greenhouse. I notice that whenever the heater is on, the fan speed drops a little bit and returns to full strength when heater is off. Is this setupe safe, electrically?
Thanks,

Assuming your wiring was done correctly (i.e, that the circuit breaker is the correct amperage for the actual wires on the circuit), then you should be fine. I notice something similar when my 1.5kW heater turns on in my greenhouse, the circulation fan changes pitch ever so slightly.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 02:20:49 PM »
Good to know it's OK.
Thank you!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 02:21:37 PM »
The real question is who did the wiring.  What size wire is is, how long is the wire and what size breaker.  As long as those were done properly it should be fine. 

Your fan is going slower because the voltage is lower when the heater is on because of the loss in the wire from the breaker panel to the outlet. 

Certain wire gauge should be used to keep voltage drops across certain lengths to a tolerable level of 1 or 2%.  Not sure exactly what the code is but you don't want more than a couple percent drop on AC runs

You could put a voltage meter in the socket and check it with the heater on.  It should still be close to 120 or 240 with it running.
Brad Spaugh

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 01:34:35 PM »
Our lights dim every time the neighbor's AC kicks on.
We called the power company and the guy who came out said it is because we are drawing off the same line.
So I think that sort of thing is to be expected.
The electricity running through the lines is not infinite. Too bad about that...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk