Author Topic: Sad Avocado Tree  (Read 424 times)

SouthernCaliAvocado

• Southern California
    • View Profile
Sad Avocado Tree
« on: November 21, 2023, 04:51:27 PM »
Hello,

Looking for some insight on my avocado tree. I have two, one fuerte and one Hass, although I forgot which is which lol. Pictures posted are all of the one tree which is struggling, the other is of the tree which is happy right next to it. Both trees have been in the ground for about two years. The one tree has recently began to have leaf dropping and the leaves that are still on the tree are very droopy and folded. The leaves still seem to be healthy and strong. I water the trees both as needed frequently in the summer but sparingly in the winter. The trees get a generic avocado and citrus fertilizer twice a year. The branches still seem strong and the growth tips still seem very much alive, but are not producing leaves. Any idea what might be causing the slow/stunted growth?

Southern California foothills ó 1000í elevation.
South facing hillside, trees get full sun majority of day

Thanks in advance for assistance

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Sad Avocado Tree
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 09:03:54 PM »
Hello, once the tree gets too much sun on the bark they can go into decline and become stunted.  It wont recover from this case.  Its too late to try and paint it and save it from getting to this stunted point. 

You wont like my advice but to save the tree, you will need to paint the bottom few feet of trunk white and then top the tree at around 2-3ft tall.  Then next year it will grow out of this condition most likely.

I think the good tree is the fuerte.  The leaves looks like fuerte but I am not certain on that.  The fuerte has some specles on the new growth i believe.

Good luck with the tree.  It was most likely not anything you did other than planting out the tree into full sun and it just didnt get its legs in time to be able to adjust to that much sun input.  It happens to me too and I have lots of trees.  Sometimes they just cant take the summers and get into this state despite plenty of water.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 09:07:58 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 09:10:03 PM »
Also ditch the stake and green tape.  Its choking the tree.  The tree needs to hold itself up at this point.  Hass and fuerte both dont need staking. 

I think if you prune it hard and paint all the bark it may have a shot.  Even this may not save it. At some point they just get screwed up for good and its better to replant. 
Brad Spaugh

SouthernCaliAvocado

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 12:33:36 AM »
Also ditch the stake and green tape.  Its choking the tree.  The tree needs to hold itself up at this point.  Hass and fuerte both dont need staking. 

I think if you prune it hard and paint all the bark it may have a shot.  Even this may not save it. At some point they just get screwed up for good and its better to replant.

Thanks for the reply and advice, Iíll try topping it and painting it. Was odd
Because this summer wasnít that hot, it made it through last summer which was very hot. I was going to remove the stakes but we get Santa Ana winds up Here at like 65+MPH and was worried of them snapping off.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 03:57:22 PM »
Any chance it was recently fertilized?

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 04:22:59 PM »
I get droopy trees when there is a watering problem.
I would check to see if it is over or under watered.  Sometimes when a tree droops, people give it more water, when the roots may already be suffocating. 
Just dig down about a shovel deep, two feet out from the trunk. You don't need to dig a hole, just shove the shovel in and tilt it and stick your hand down in the hole.

Good luck!
Carolyn

SouthernCaliAvocado

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2023, 04:41:31 PM »
Any chance it was recently fertilized?

Not recently fertilized no, and it receives same amount of fertilizer as fuerte next to it. Think this is a nutrient related issue? I couldnít find any deficiencies that would present with leaf dropping/curling. New growth leaves look fairly healthy.

SouthernCaliAvocado

• Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2023, 04:42:59 PM »
I get droopy trees when there is a watering problem.
I would check to see if it is over or under watered.  Sometimes when a tree droops, people give it more water, when the roots may already be suffocating. 
Just dig down about a shovel deep, two feet out from the trunk. You don't need to dig a hole, just shove the shovel in and tilt it and stick your hand down in the hole.

Good luck!
Carolyn

I thought I may be over watering but the soil drains well and I only water once or so a week sparingly, other avocado seems happy and was purchased and planted at same time. (Different species I know, so there may be differences)

Avofan

• Oakland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2023, 03:05:36 PM »
It needs constant moisture until well established. A foot out from the trunk dig around and check for dry spots. When I have problems with avocado trees itís always under watering for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk