Poll

Which is the best soapberry? Rambutan? Longan? Lychee?

Rambutan
7 (25.9%)
Longan
3 (11.1%)
Lychee
14 (51.9%)
None!
0 (0%)
Other
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Battle of the Soapberries  (Read 556 times)

fruitconnossieur

• USA
    • View Profile
Battle of the Soapberries
« on: November 26, 2023, 12:48:22 AM »
This is my first post, I love fruits!

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Soapberries
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 07:59:32 AM »
I have yet to taste fresh Pulasan, but right now Lychees are my favorite. Then Longan. Then rambutan.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 09:10:01 AM »
Lychee is super solidÖmy favorite. Just unfortunately itís hard to grow them in FL due to the mite.
Thereís also the Spanish limes, mamoncillo, but not that good as in not enough flesh and it sticks to the seed.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 11:09:19 AM »
I feel that lychee and rambutan are very similar in taste, but I voted for lychee because I find them easier to peel.

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 06:10:02 PM »
I can say quenepa is an underdog. Sweet sasa is a superior cultivar and the pulp dont STICK to the seed.
Once you get the flavor you can not stop eating .

hin00n

• United States, CA, Bay Area, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 06:32:18 PM »
Only one I'm growing is lychee, love the rose taste. They're great dehydrated too.

Altrexy

• USA, FL, Miami, 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2023, 10:10:15 PM »
I can say quenepa is an underdog. Sweet sasa is a superior cultivar and the pulp dont STICK to the seed.
Once you get the flavor you can not stop eating .
Mamoncillo!! My favorite as well. Once you get those super ripe sweet ones you just canít stop. Iíve had some unbelievably tasty $20 per lb lychees but mamoncillos beat them out ever so slightly. Both are incredible in their own rights though. Apples/oranges situation
-Alex. Planning for my grandkids

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 11:03:50 PM »
Love lychees a lot but there's the limited availability problem.

While living in Costa Rica I developed a taste for mamon chino, what rambutans are called there.  They were plentiful and cheap down there, costing only about a buck US for a whole kilo of 'em in the mercado central in Alajuela.  Yum!

Paul M.
==

booeyschewy

• Bahia, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 04:05:32 AM »
Rambutans vary greatly even from tree to tree. Fresh rambutan that is juicy and subacid is incredible. I never liked them until I got a farm and have some 10 mature trees. I still prefer the best lychees but itís close. Longan is barely worth it.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 04:43:22 PM »
I used to think that lychees were the best among these soapberry species. Now, I prefer rambutans. Rambutans, despite the drawback of their clinging flesh, have a more agreeable taste at all stages of ripeness, from underripe to overripe. Lychees tend to get unpleasant tastes and aftertastes when they get too ripe or are otherwise not properly ripened. Since I, by nature of not living in or near lychee and rambutan growing areas, have to buy my lychees and rambutans from grocery stores, I tend to get rambutans, since I know they will always be, at the bare minimum, good. I cannot say that for lychees.

That being said, supposedly pulasans are the best of all the soapberry species. Though, Adolf Grimal went to great lengths to add alupag to Grimal Grove due to its outstanding taste. Considering his wealth of fruit hunting experience, that may say something about which soapberry is the best.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2023, 06:48:35 PM »
I have eaten the best Pulasan,Rambutans fresh off the tree all of the rest mentioned above even alupag off seedlings of Adolf Grimal tree at my grove.Lychee smokes them all you have a fruit with more than a thousand years of selection most will never get to try all the best selections of lychee proper.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2023, 08:04:26 PM »
I have eaten the best Pulasan,Rambutans fresh off the tree all of the rest mentioned above even alupag off seedlings of Adolf Grimal tree at my grove.Lychee smokes them all you have a fruit with more than a thousand years of selection most will never get to try all the best selections of lychee proper.

I agree. The best lychees are the best. 8)

artary3

• USA, FL, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2023, 10:39:43 PM »
Pulasan was the best Iíve tried.  Then Lychee not far behind.  both of those are top tier IMO.  Pulasan is hard to find since it doesnít grow well outside of the tropics.  Iím not a big fan of the clinging flesh on Rambutan.  And was disappointed by Spanish Limes although the ones I tried may not have been the best representation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk