Author Topic: Embarrassed by my Baboon lemon…. worth keeping it?  (Read 1004 times)

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
Embarrassed by my Baboon lemon…. worth keeping it?
« on: March 18, 2023, 10:17:46 AM »
Hey everyone, I have limited space in my greenhouse and just got my first fruit of my baboon lemon. It was a nice size and looked good and was looking forward to making a couple of cocktails for myself and a friend, but was very embarrassed with the amount of juice I got from it, less than a tablespoon.

What do I do? Will it get better as the tree ages, or did it need more water etc. Or do I get rid of it in an attempt to save my reputation as a tropical cocktail connoisseur?

Here is what’s left after I crushed it trying to salvage my cocktail.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Embarrassed by my Baboon lemon…. worth keeping it?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 10:23:50 AM »
There is still a lot of juice in it.  Your tree will produce better lemons as it gets older.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 01:33:02 PM »
How were the cocktails ?
Any different to using regular Lemon or Lime ?
I hear it has flavour elements of both.
Sounds interesting.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 01:40:06 PM »
There is a reason that the Baboon Lemon is not used commercially.  t is a seed factory.  Keeping the lemon is up to you.  I would rather spend my time growing a worthwhile lemon cultivar.

Tropicaltoba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 03:19:14 PM »
How were the cocktails ?
Sounds interesting.

It was ok, I like citrus with sparkling water and a nice blanco tequila. Usually in a 1:1 of juice to tequila. The flavour was ok, the half ounce of tequila was the most dissapointing. I much prefer a red or persian lime flavour wise, also I can usually get 2 oz of juice per fruit.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 08:17:11 PM »
The grocery store types eureka and lisbon are nice and productive.  Limequats are good if you are looking for single serve juice to squeeze into a drink. 

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 11:57:20 PM »
How were the cocktails ?
Sounds interesting.

It was ok, I like citrus with sparkling water and a nice blanco tequila. Usually in a 1:1 of juice to tequila. The flavour was ok, the half ounce of tequila was the most dissapointing. I much prefer a red or persian lime flavour wise, also I can usually get 2 oz of juice per fruit.
How does the red lime taste?

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 12:00:56 AM »
Red lime has sour orange taste, it isn't anything like a typical lime.  It tastes like a rangpur&kumquat hybrid

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 02:07:58 AM »
There seems to be a few " Red Limes". 
Some of the Rangpur types are called Red Limes, but they seem to be pretty much Rangpur with orange or darker orange skin.
https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus-varieties/category-or-type/rangpur-limes
None of there are particularly red.
A lot of these are very similar, possibly some have been lost and mixed up over the years ?
Excalibur Red Lime is on this list, not strictly a Rangpur, but not red pulped either.

There are also Red Limes that have red skin and red pulp, a little more mandarin like with sour juice.
Anybody growing any of these ?
Some on the Citrusgrowersforum posted pics years ago.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2023, 12:07:01 PM »
I believe I have the "excalibur red hybrid" though it was simply labelled red lime.  And yes it is dark orange rather than red, even the description says "as red as a honeybell tangelo" which isn't red at all

Tropicaltoba

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 01:27:11 PM »
Rispa,
I like the red lime (kumquat rangpur hybrid) mostly because it is unique and very productive. Up here it’s hard to buy interesting citrus. The red is cool cause it has a unique flavour if you are used to standard citrus (lemon lime orange) and u can eat the peel. It’s also very everbearing and productive, just over our long dark cold winter and it already has 7 fully ripe and 16 fully formed fruits on. 4ft tree in a 25 gallon pot. They are also a good size, like a good Persian lime. Onlyissue is the seeds, I cut them in half and flick  the seeds out before a crush it in a cocktail.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 06:58:00 AM »
Rispa,
I like the red lime (kumquat rangpur hybrid) mostly because it is unique and very productive. Up here it’s hard to buy interesting citrus. The red is cool cause it has a unique flavour if you are used to standard citrus (lemon lime orange) and u can eat the peel. It’s also very everbearing and productive, just over our long dark cold winter and it already has 7 fully ripe and 16 fully formed fruits on. 4ft tree in a 25 gallon pot. They are also a good size, like a good Persian lime. Onlyissue is the seeds, I cut them in half and flick  the seeds out before a crush it in a cocktail.

That's awesome and sounds delicious. I enjoy the smell and flavor of both, so the combination of rangpur and kumquat sounds very appealing. I'm have to try to get some seeds of one

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2023, 03:58:27 PM »
Im also in favor of the 'red lime'. Although Im not too sure which I have now. It does look exactly like the picture Rispa posted.

I can drink the red lime juice straight out of the fruit as its not overly sour and limey but has mellow notes of a floral (watery?) lime. It is my favorite lime to make lime water with and ive been told it can tolerate down to 15 degrees for short instances.