Author Topic: Any Information on Orange Crush Jackfruit?  (Read 1048 times)

Alleycat

• Florida
    • View Profile
Any Information on Orange Crush Jackfruit?
« on: September 23, 2020, 01:20:14 PM »
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any information on the Orange Crush Jackfruit. I was wondering what it tastes like and any other information you have on the fruit.
-Alleycat

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
Re: Any Information on Orange Crush Jackfruit?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 07:50:33 PM »
We grow about four Orange Crush trees.  I thought they came from Zills but that would requiring looking to confirm.  Does not seem to be an overly aggressive grower.  Sounds good right? Sounds like “Orange Crunch” I hear so much about which I hear looks like Amber.  Amber is supposed to be one of the best.  Unfortunately it is my understanding this is not Amber but an alright, smallish, semi crunchy, and a little above average fruit. Sounds good to me can’t wait to try it.  Our trees are just coming to size for flowering as they were planted as 3 gal. a few years ago.  There is random mostly useless info if you haven’t already used the search feature, you might try, on Orange Crush.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:09:58 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 08:59:04 PM »
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any information on the Orange Crush Jackfruit. I was wondering what it tastes like and any other information you have on the fruit.

Orange Crush is a Pine Island creation, released about 4-5 years ago along with another variety called Cantaloupe. My neighbor has a tree and it fruited for the first time this year. Tree is not a vigorous grower. Small fruit, crunchy with really good flavor. I have fruiting Mai 1 and Excalibur Red trees in my backyard. In terms of taste this year,  Orange Crush was the best, followed by Excalibur Red and then Mai 1.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 09:37:39 PM »
Is it true that jackfruit trees are heavy feeders, or is this just when they are young?  I'll probably never get a chance to grow one, but ya never know!
John

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 10:25:18 PM »
any pictures of the orange crush jackfruit?

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 09:31:30 PM »

Orange Crush is a Pine Island creation, released about 4-5 years ago along with another variety called Cantaloupe. My neighbor has a tree and it fruited for the first time this year. Tree is not a vigorous grower. Small fruit, crunchy with really good flavor. I have fruiting Mai 1 and Excalibur Red trees in my backyard. In terms of taste this year,  Orange Crush was the best, followed by Excalibur Red and then Mai 1.

Sorry to follow up on such an old thread, but can you comment on the latex content of the orange crush? How productive has the tree been since posting this compared to your Mai 1?